SlotForum banner
401 - 420 of 429 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #402 · (Edited)
One of my chores today was dismantling the layout. I decided there would be a change so that decision is over. :) Surprisingly it took a good four hours to dismantle and assemble what I could of the four lane layout. My biggest fear was throwing away all the time I had spent leveling the overpasses and banking. As you can see from the image I pulled out quite a few pieces! So if I decided to punt it would take quite the time to duplicate it.

I'm not punting. Not entirely sold on four lanes but I figured it's a solid A or B choice and I don't yet have a purposed extended road course layout so I guess it's the only choice for now. Plus I can see the two lanes in my head so I don't necessarily need to see it on the tables. I wanted to verify it would fit nicely and if anything would come up I hadn't thought of yet. I could have made one minor change and completed two of the lanes but I decided why bother (probably should have for testing).

As you can see it fits great and with the track being flat the tables appear twice their previous size. I'm going to run two lanes via TEK-Slots if I decide to order the rest of the four lane pieces. And if it survives I'll probably go all analog and be able to run all four. Eventually putting up some guardrails. If I decide to stay two lanes (pretty sure I'll start out with four) I'll keep running digital for the foreseeable future.

Next week I should order whatever track pieces I decide on. For the heck of it I did run the completed section and I must say it was fun drifting with four lanes. Sure the car might perform almost the same as with shoulders (being a little smoother) but it simply looks cool. If you haven't been following along eventually it's supposed to look like this.

Food Tableware Bottle Wine Wine rack

Automotive design Wood Picture frame Comfort Grey

Cabinetry Table Wood Flooring Floor

Wood Automotive design Textile Picture frame Floor

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 · (Edited)
I got bored waiting on the new track pieces so for the "fun" of it I decided to build a "analog wiring board" I used local (Menards) for the various pieces and just guessed wrong on the size of the long screws for the controller clips. I'll run them through from the other side, connect the wire and then use a nut to fasten them down. You can see one I happened to have around. Another trip to Menards coming up.

They didn't have four color wire so I purchased two since their length is more than I'll ever need (hopefully). I used Professor Motor's suggested wire size and their YouTube video for reference (don't worry they will get paid back - probably be ordering two controllers). Menard's didn't have any metal jumpers so I had to make wire jumpers which was good soldering practice. Since my wires aren't color coded I'll have to be careful connecting them to the controller's hookups. If you see anything out of whack please let me know!!

PS I thought I needed two terminal blocks and mounted the second before I learned better. Probably keep it incase I ever wire the other two lanes, perhaps power taps or maybe it just looks pretty there. :) In theory the board would mount nicely against one of the table legs.

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic instrument Audio equipment

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #406 · (Edited)
After another trip to Menards I wrapped up the wiring (soldering for now!). I ordered track clips so the four wires going there shouldn't be too difficult (already connected to the controller/block). I thought of running the controller wires on the other side to clean that section up but decided for installation I prefer it this way. Plus I think I'll get some type of cover and perhaps color code the controller screws for future reference.

Professor Motor recommended a larger gauge for the wire going to the power supply (13 AWG) so I'm not sure it would OK to use what I have (16 AWG) or not... I'm guessing it would be fine. Now to dream up what to cover the controller wires with... perhaps a nice plastic plate.

Wood Musical instrument Electronic instrument Electronic device Audio equipment

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #409 ·
Yes, definitely color code the controller hookups. You can buy colored washers, or just paint over metal washers.
Based on the latest news I heard I might have to switch to analog... something about Carrera dropping distribution in Germany? Short on details so who knows what's up?

By the way do you still make fences? If I stay four lanes and don't bank I'll be in the market for a few.

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
LOL, Dave's video, eh? Yeah, don't worry about it. The announcement of the dissolution of a distribution agreement will not have happened before the formation of a new agreement. Just like the same video announced that ED would be the new distributor of Slot.it/Policar. The new distribution channel has already been established. I'm sure a future video will announce it. ;-)

As for the fences, just PM me. I'm at your disposal.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 ·
The announcement of the dissolution of a distribution agreement will not have happened before the formation of a new agreement.
One would hope for all parties involved. And it's better if one hears about the new one before hearing about the old one expiring!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #412 · (Edited)
Strange enough all the wiring passed continuity testing and the four going to the rails (inner two lanes) appear to be correct. Just waiting on the track clips. Oh and perhaps a power supply and controllers. :)

Circuit component Electrical wiring Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Electronic component

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #413 ·
LOL, Dave's video, eh? Yeah, don't worry about it. The announcement of the dissolution of a distribution agreement will not have happened before the formation of a new agreement.
Unless I read the article incorrectly that was really bad "reporting"... Instead of Carrera Revell distribution being dropped (as I took it) in reality Carrera Revell is no longer going to be distributing Rollpay's children vehicles. And he didn't clear it up on his Sunday live stream...

I might be forced to purchase two to four cars (to take advantage of a credit card reward). I'm thinking perhaps I should purchase two analog "house" cars. Cars that can get thrown around a bit without incurring any (OK much) damage. I'd use them on the rare occasion I have guests over and they want to run a few laps. I was thinking of perhaps a twin to my current RevoSlot but I'd prefer two dedicated house cars waiting for guests to crash them. :) Any suggestions?

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
Yep, whatever floats your boat. But, if you're looking for something that can take abuse without suffering too much, look at some more Carrera GT cars and take the mirrors (and maybe the wings) off before putting them on the track. Carrera cars are built like tanks, and their guides usually pop out rather than break completely, so they're a good choice for cars to let noobs thrash around.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #416 ·
Carrera cars are built like tanks, and their guides usually pop out rather than break completely, so they're a good choice for cars to let noobs thrash around.
Before going all analog (or perhaps all) I looked at this Carrera as it seems well designed to dent a few floors and or walls... I think it has a twin as well. I'd rather it be cars that don't require a rear tire swap and something different than Carrera but as you say it's a good choice.

Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #417 · (Edited)
Well I'm pot committed. I might regret it but I ordered the track needed for Chris' four-lane layout, power supply and controller (just one for now). Controller wise I ordered Greg's recommendation the Professor Motor PMTR2111. Power supply I ordered my own recommendation. :) I like how you adjust the settings and it has an output off/on switch. Also it has three memories which I figure might be nice if I decide I want to adjust the speed/voltage of the cars. Since Amazon was offering a coupon/discount it wasn't much more than the basic units.

Hopefully I'll like everything enough to change the thread's title to Analog with Carrera Track. :)

UPDATE: I ended up swapping the power supply to the one below. The previous one even with an adjustable display was way too bright and since it will probably end up on the table I didn't want to be continuously distracted. :) Guts wise I think they are identical outside of the new one doesn't have any memories.

Font Parallel Brand Circle Number

Magenta Electric blue Cable Wire Font

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #418 ·
I wish I had a workshop! Or at least a good friend with one. :) I thought I was going to create the overpass by using my existing plastic pieces (shown in the first post) however I noticed there might be a little sag since it's four lane with the two pieces "sinking" where they connect. Not sure if or how well these will work but I figured I'd give them a try. They are roughly (nothing I make is exact) 1.5", 2.75" and finally 4.0".

I'm going to try making the overpass with the long straightaway. As it appears to be simpler and I'm trying to keep the track on the table as much as possible. Last layout virtually all the track was raised so it's just something different. And it might increase lap times a touch which would be a good thing.

Table Wood Interior design Floor Audio equipment

Rectangle Font Urban design Pattern Slope

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #420 · (Edited)
I’ve used similar methods but added 3mm (approx 1/8”) MDF underneath to provide support. Flexible but just enough support. But that was for 2 lanes, unsure if it would sag under the four lanes.
I have thought of running a strip (down the center) to connect the supports but didn't think of adding a "complete" top layer. I have two shorts and two mediums and I'm going to make a few more tall guys and then wait to see how it works in reality (when the track shows up) and tweak from there.

401 - 420 of 429 Posts