SlotForum banner
421 - 429 of 429 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Please support all lifted track at full width! That's the only way to keep the track flat over time. You can put your pillars 1 of 2 cm inwards on both sides and just put 'hardboard' 3 mm thickness on those pillars. Using screws or even glue. You can connect the pillars but that isn't necessary.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 · (Edited)
Please support all lifted track at full width! That's the only way to keep the track flat over time.
I have little faith but on first pass I'm going to see how well the below works. Based on how the track "sits" I might need to make longer pieces at the two curves since the straightaway won't be fully supported. Maybe add another on the outside. Right now I'm out of wood so it's a good stopping point until the track is laid (most likely early next week). Hopefully I can use this as a skeleton (at worse) and not have to punt...

Picture frame Wood Musical instrument Flooring Floor

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #423 ·
Power supply arrived today so the big moment was here... would all of my wiring work?! Of course not. :) I got nothing... zip. Way back I noticed they (Professor Motor's PDF) had ground connected to nothing on the terminal block which I thought was odd. I asked Greg for some help and viewing the wiring diagram he sent I could see ground was certainly connected to something. In fact five of the first eight screws. Professor Motor was connecting them via metal connectors which I hadn't noticed.

So I soldered up a couple of additional wires and zoom. Both lanes and brakes appear to work like a champ. It's still a mess and I need to attach the wires/track clips to the lanes and solder up the wires from the power supply to the terminal block. At that point all of the wires should be nice and tidy. :)

Light Audio equipment Electrical wiring Wood Flooring

Wood Rectangle Automotive design Flooring Floor

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #425 · (Edited)
UPS dropped off a big box of track along with track wire clips. Finally finished up with the soldering iron (installed the track clips to the lanes) which is worth a celebration in and of itself! All the while assembling the track I was fretting if the ends would meet. I knew it would be a little short and had my doubts. I replaced three 1/4 and one 1/3 straights with a straight. Placing the pieces out it looked like I would be ordering those odd ball pieces however once I connected everything the inch or so of emptiness disappeared.

Once everything was connected I installed the track supports I made the other day. They were just a guess and on first pass they seem to work relatively well. Certainly need to be tweaked and probably supplemented and or replaced at some point. But for now they let me run laps!

Now this is just me with the understanding I have never liked shoulders. Driving the two middle lanes is a whole different experience. Sliding is so smooth it becomes closer to a routed track. And having sweeping curves it feels like a mini commercial track. Completely different experience than my last layout. Both have their points but (right now) I have zero interest in going back. It's just so much fun sliding from turn to turn!

My wiring block is working like a champ. It still needs to be mounted somewhere... and I'm sure the overpass will speak up as to what needs to be done as I turn laps. But so far it's just what I imagined which doesn't happen very often. :)

Automotive tire Wood Flooring Floor Audio equipment

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Wood Electrical wiring Audio equipment

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
Even with borders, the "gutter" lanes are never quite as good as the inside lanes. I think this is primarily because neither of them have the tightest or widest radius in any given turn. There's always a lane inside or outside of them.

So, now that you are driving pure analog... how do you compare it to the feel of the chipped lane analog? Of course, you're still getting used to the new controller, but I expect you can still feel a difference aside from that.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #427 ·
Even with borders, the "gutter" lanes are never quite as good as the inside lanes. I think this is primarily because neither of them have the tightest or widest radius in any given turn. There's always a lane inside or outside of them.
I think a lot of it is simply mental. There is no denying overall sliding is smoother however at the same time seeing four lanes leads to a different experience. For me it becomes less of a "home" track and more of a commercial track.

So, now that you are driving pure analog... how do you compare it to the feel of the chipped lane analog? Of course, you're still getting used to the new controller, but I expect you can still feel a difference aside from that.
The controller's sensitivity setting appears to override any differences I might be seeing. As you say after I get over the initial shock (controller, different layout, and the "feeling" of four lanes) I might start to notice some difference.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #429 · (Edited)
Since I'm no longer running Carrera Digital I started a new thread Marilyn Raceway - Analog Build and Adventure. It's not that I'm not impressed with Carrera Digital as I am, rather going analog takes me closer to my vision. Based on my usage most of the digital features weren't taken advantage of and ultimately they kept me away from the "pureness" of racing back to the '60s. Yep I'm an old fart and I remember those commercial tracks you became connected to via your controller's alligator clips. I find charm in hooking up your controller, placing your car on the track and round and round you go. The curves sweeping enough one lap turns into ten, ten turns into a hundred and all you know is the enjoyment of watching your car slide from one corner to the next.

Again if my use case was different Carrera Digital perhaps would be the best solution and it is for a lot of slot car enthusiasts. And finally I would be remiss if I didn't thank everyone who participated in the thread offering their advice, opinions and goodwill. You certainly added to the adventure.

421 - 429 of 429 Posts