SlotForum banner
141 - 160 of 429 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Greg you are not supposed to Like the post rather talk some sense into me... :) Played around and tweaked it just a touch. Worked up the required "Shopping Cart" and it was scary! Definitely need to be sure I have it just right before placing an order... talk me out of it!

Rectangle Slope Asphalt Font Urban design

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 · (Edited)
Well some sense of reason has to come to my head... I'm going to table the expansion for at least a couple of months. Why? Beside being a third longer I really like the "layout" of the current track. It has more technical aspects which I find challenging (R1 chicane as an example) and for whatever reason I really like how you double back within the inner loop. The expansion appears to be similar to my first layout where the flow was too smooth with hardly any speed changes. And frankly I found it boring.

I'll spend time trying to come up with something more challenging although being four lanes I have a feeling it will be rather difficult to come up with anything nearly as long and especially so without creating overpass nightmares. Maybe I should wait until I'm willing to expand the tables... I could add 4' x 14" in front the long straight and tighter 180 turn. I'm sure the wife would love that... second thought perhaps it's fine just as it is. :)

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
You're a big boy, you can make your own decisions. ;-) I would just never do that. If I went with 4 lanes, it would be to race 4 lanes, and I'd then add borders to that as needed. You also severely limit your options not only due to space, but also because the outside lanes of any given turn can never be tighter than R2, and for Carrera track, that's pretty wide. Like you said, the end result will be a track with a lot less slowing down than you're currently enjoying, as well as a shorter lap.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
You're a big boy, you can make your own decisions.
I might be old but not all that big. Current thinking... if I last long enough I might add two tables (4' x 8' & 4' x 6") and then try to go 4 lanes. Not close to having them built so I'll spin my wheels for now. Adding tables would give me roughly...

Rectangle Urban design Font Slope Art

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
It appears I have a three car limit. My favorite reseller had a new corvette for me which arrived yesterday. For some reason four cars sound like too much... so I sold one of the Ferrari FXX cars. Now I can't decide if I want to keep it sealed or turn it loose. I already have Paul Gage tires and a Frankenslot guide so it's ready to run if I am. However I think for now I'll leave it be and just run the two I already have. If I was young from looking at the collector market I'd probably buy four of every car I purchased... run one and wait ten years or so to sell off the other three. Might not work out but in theory I'd probably be racing for free or turn a few bucks down the road.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
I'm not one to even hint at such a waste of money as multiples of the same car for some ill conceived belief in ROI.
IMHO, shelf queens should not be a thing, but I know the type to buy things just to put them on a shelf.
I absolutely respect your self control with respect to buying cars. That said, if and when you should ever feel you may start to become bored with the ones you have, rather than purchasing more Carrera cars that will more or less run the same as the ones you've got, I encourage you to broaden your scope and get a car from another maker... ANY other maker, to be honest, but I'd steer you toward slot.it, NSR, MR Slotcar, RevoSlot, BRM, Thunderslot, and others. They can all be chipped for Carrera Digital, or you can make up a TekSlots box of your own to run analog cars.

The scope and breadth of slot cars of any scale is quite large, so I hope that you never feel as if you've tired of the hobby without at least looking into other facets of it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
The scope and breadth of slot cars of any scale is quite large, so I hope that you never feel as if you've tired of the hobby without at least looking into other facets of it.
I largely agree with you. Although so far the various Carrera cars I have run all perform differently even using the same tires. Some have more torque, others a higher top end (as far as I can be tell) and they require you to drive them differently to get the fastest lap. Such as the lower torque cars you have to accelerate sooner coming out of the curve.

They all are plenty fast and handle well enough you can drive them. Not too well that you are a passenger instead. And up to now I haven't come close to turning one perfect lap yet alone a series of them. So I don't see myself getting bored anytime soon... the lap record keeps coming down.

Now I'm sure at some point I'll go looking for another brand. Not because it's faster... it might be too fast, or it handles better... it might handle too well. Rather just for something different to play around with and appreciate its higher quality.

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
Exactly. You think they all perform the same because, well... no offense, but you're new. Also, they're Carrera, so they kind of do. You seem to also understand that other brands will perform differently, so it's all good. There is an exception to every rule, and maybe you're one of them... but the rule is that, in general, slot racing hobbyists soon "stray" from the brand they start with, and venture into other brands. You're already racing without magnets. I think the road to other brands will be short for you. ;-)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
7 Second Lap

I haven't used SmartRace to any extent as most often I simply turn on the track and run a few laps letting Check Lane and the CU beeps inform me on how I'm doing... two more double beeps before I quit.

However as my driving has improved and from tweaking the track a bit (smoothing out the banking) lap times have been coming down. To the point I'm getting very close to under 8 seconds. Looking at SmartRace it reports my Virtual Best is 7.972. Which appears to be the best time for each sector added together. In the session pictured I got down to 8.046 so I'm determined to get there. :)

Looks like I turned 93 laps and I only deslotted once. I really like when I over drive the car it simply slides out of the groove and loses a little time. I think the Frankenslot guide helps in keeping the car from deslotting. Bottom line I like the handling of the cars since I can push them past their limit without really paying a price outside of a few tenths. And eight seconds a lap (over 200 mph) is more than fast enough to keep my attention.

Computer Personal computer Peripheral Output device Computer keyboard

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 · (Edited)
Motor Lottery

I have only driven a half dozen or so Carrera cars but I have been struck with how differently they perform. Even though they have all been set up identically... without magnets, Paul Gage tires and Frankenslot guides with the spring removed. Since they vary so much in speed it's hard to determine if the handling per se is the same but it appears to be. Now the speed of the car is another story.

Torque varies wildly among the cars to the point it's alarming. Initially I wasn't sure why one car would take off like a jet and another slowly build speed. Assuming it was the motor I finally swapped motors between cars and they swapped performance proving it was the motor without any doubt. Now I will say you can drive them differently (such as getting on the gas sooner coming out of a corner with the slower car) so lap times aren't as dramatically different.

Another experiment I performed was coding two cars to the same controller and applying just a little "gas" and typically one car would be much faster. To me this says it has more torque and they are the cars I need to feather more so. I also remembered seeing Carrera's Instagram drag racing post and how differently the cars perform. One has to wonder if it's a quality control issue or done on purpose to generate additional sales. I doubt the performance is tied to an actual model rather simply a lottery... hope you win.

The issue sort of reminds me of my other hobby home theater. Where it's completely a lottery on how good the chip's panel alignment and lens focus are which greatly determines its performance. Fortunately here the cost of the lottery is hardly anything compared to home theater... but still I think they could do a better job.

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
You're right. Even among "pro" level slot car motors things can vary. Less so the higher up the chain you go, but still there. Carrera is a toy company. Great quality, for sure... but still toys. Precise motors are not worth their time or money. These motors are made by the millions and you get what you get. Sometimes, you'll get a complete dud... as in... doesn't work, or sparks and smokes. That's rare, because they don't buy bottom of the barrel motors like the really cheap toys get, but they're still cheap motors and bad motors still happen. Since these are "sealed" can motors, there's really not much you can do to change them that doesn't risk destroying them. It's fun to take apart a motor and look inside, though I bet you have plenty of experience with that from your other hobbies.

While you can certainly buy better motors, you've said yourself that this is not important to you. You just like to challenge yourself to get the best laps with the cars (motors) you have. :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
These motors are made by the millions and you get what you get.
Unless they are also used in other industries I doubt a million have been produced to date. :) They wish they were that successful.

While you can certainly buy better motors, you've said yourself that this is not important to you. You just like to challenge yourself to get the best laps with the cars (motors) you have. :)
Relatively true. Although when they have it a little torque it's more of a challenge. Hence more fun. However at times the slowest car has held the track record as it's easier to drive to its potential.

I guess in theory it would be best for every car to be too fast and let the CU fine tune it to the speed you find most enjoyable.

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
Unless they are also used in other industries I doubt a million have been produced to date. :) They wish they were that successful.
They are. These kinds of motors are used in a number of products, from toothbrushes to side-mirror actuators and more. They really are made by the millions. If you went to aliexpress or similar, you could probably buy a bag of 100 for like, $50.... and that's after all the markup so that they profit from the sale. ;-) Would you get 100 great motors? Not likely. ;-)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
They can all be chipped for Carrera Digital, or you can make up a TekSlots box of your own to run analog cars.
Appreciate the reference to Tek-Slots as I had never heard of it... although I thought someone should have something similar. It's out of production now and I guess will only be available as a kit (think even I could handle installing it) going forward... whenever forward is.

Somewhat debating chipping cars versus chipping lanes. Prefer cars as you lose a lot of features per lane (I think?) but it guarantees you can run any car and would be cheaper after a half dozen or so cars. Plus if he only sells the kit I'm not sure you can get the optional lap counter/timer function as you need to further modify the CU track - read it's not very accurate so I'd probably pass. I'll revisit the kit whenever my reseller let's me know one is available.

Tartan Gesture Font Eyewear Pattern

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
I guess it doesn't really matter, since you're not planning to get a lot of cars. In your case, the one new car per year you get might as well just be digitized, if it's not a Carrera Digital car to start with.

For us nutcases that start buying all kinds of cars we like the look of or think will be fun, chipping the lane is the best option barring actual analog controller hookups (like I've done). When the car collection grows quickly, putting a chip in all of them can become prohibitively expensive, not to mention all the work involved. :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
I guess it doesn't really matter, since you're not planning to get a lot of cars. In your case, the one new car per year you get might as well just be digitized, if it's not a Carrera Digital car to start with.
The first car I found I would instantly order couldn't be chipped (accordinmg to my reseller)... Scalextric C4245 Tyrrell P34 - 1977 Belgian Grand Prix, 132 Scale. I would really like to know whatever car I purchased would be able to run...

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
Anything can be chipped. The question is, how much are you willing to sacrifice to make it happen. The MPL chip is pretty dang small. You can probably find space for it, though you might need to chop off the driver's feet, or his butt, or something else. Since that car hasn't hit the market yet, we don't really know what the insides look like.

But challenging chip installations is another reason to set up some kind of analog mode.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
But challenging chip installations is another reason to set up some kind of analog mode.
Yeah - now that I know it's possible to turn the track into analog I'm pretty sure that is where I'd head. I'd love a lap timer but I guess there are 3rd party timers I could look into.

141 - 160 of 429 Posts