SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all!

It's been a while (several years!) since I posted here but, as I'm sure many of us have found, the various lockdowns we've weathered have brought me back to the slot racing hobby.

I've been building the following since March and am glad to finally get it finished! As is my better half who is still cursing the lovely shade of Volkswagen red that the interior of the shed and it's contents are now coated in!

The body shell is an old Scalextric Metro with the 6R4 bodykit removed and the holes filled in. The chassis is a Penelope Pitlane Clubman and is my first proper attempt at soldering a chassis so please be kind! Although the Dremel polishing bits have come in extremely handy in tidying it up!

It was built to race at South Manchester Slot Racing Club in their 'Classic Scalextric Mini' class (which accepts Metros) and I hope to be able to test it on track as soon as we're all able to get racing again.

The body was inspired by the Austin Metro Challenge cars from the 80s, especially the Datapost Metro which was a really smart looking race car:

34c4369790ea8cbeada09204b8b76e746a37e0f6

More photos of these great looking cars can be found in this brilliant thread: https://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/291599-1980s-metro-challenge-photos/

Thank you to Angelo Amato for answering my numerous questions!

4ccb6bef-2e1e-4bdd-9da7-eb93aec596aa_rw_

049eda26-b2ee-4cc3-8686-13b28571fb80_rw_
d9414399-e804-43a8-b333-4eb3c929447d_rw_
abf3cfa3-3f4a-4b69-a5d8-56405e191013_rw_
34128e69-16e5-430b-83fa-28806d6439d6_rw_
7fee374d-843e-4304-a6e4-579b3126b120_rw_
e9678133-8fca-47c9-a894-bcbe7814bf42_rw_
0fdb12ac-415b-4e22-bf03-b31a9dfcf28e_rw_

Thank you for reading all this and I hope to see some of you racing in the not to distant future!

Dave

·
ParrotGod
7,920 Posts
Nice project. The chassis looks ok to me.

what caught my eyes is that guide: I do not think that I have seen it before. What brand is it please?

thanks.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@GRUNZ, thanks very much! The guide is by AvantSlot. I've had a few of them actually. The blade itself is very deep and extends ahead of the pivot which I like. When I bought them, they came with motor cables and eyelets which are about 2/3 the size of Slot.it ones. Quite useful for builds with limited room at the front. Cheers!

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,610 Posts
Hello Dave,
No one has mentioned the bodyshell - what make is it?

Leo

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@pace1970uk, I agree! Although I've heard the Mini and Metro prices have gone through the roof because so many people want to race them nowadays!

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,610 Posts
Cheers Dave, the bonnet looks very flat that's why I wondered.

Leo

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@scuderia_turini, Yes Leo, I know what you mean. I think it's a combination of too much paint/lacquer and the flash being reflected from above so you can't see the little curvature that's left!

·
ParrotGod
7,920 Posts
Thanks Dave for the link!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I love seeing cars built like this, with proper scale width instead of huge wheel arch extensions. I've always had a soft spot for the original Scalextric Metro but I never liked the look of the 6R4, especially with those add-on arches.
I'd like to hear how this one runs with that powerful 25K motor in such a small chassis.

Mike

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@42redcat, Thanks very much! As well as wanting it to look scale-correct, I wanted to get the wheels inside the arches so that it looked more like the real race cars, but also to try and bring the centre of gravity down a bit. Whether or not the smaller track will negate the gains in CoG remains to be seen, but I'll have fun finding out! As for the motor, I've deliberately put in a 24 tooth crown and 9 tooth pinion to hopefully make it a bit more forgiving on the throttle.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The guide is by AvantSlot ... / ... Quite useful for builds with limited room at the front. Cheers!
¿A que te refieres?

la falta de espacio es un problema que me encuentro a menudo.

Miro con atención esta guía y no veo diferencias con otras guías.

What do you mean?
lack of space is a problem that I often encounter.
I look closely at this guide and see no differences with other guides.

Salut
Frederic

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hola Frederic. It is difficult to see from the photos, but the guide shaft is shorter than the equivalent Slot.it item. The section in front of the shaft where the motor cables fit is also about half the height of other ones I've seen. This section is also chamfered. There isn't a huge difference to other guides, but it's all about those incremental gains!

Dave

1 - 20 of 40 Posts