SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Going back a bit here, but I'm still (maybe boringly) interested in forum colour rendition issues. KRZ showed 7 pics of the same car; all in "coral blue". Six were presumably his own "build shots" and were a bit uninspiring paint colour wise, but the last showed a really nice looking colour scheme which I said looked a bit "French Racing Blue". Interestingly, Trisha has since posted a pic of a real FRB 250F which, given the limitations of digital reproduction of old colour photos, reminds me more of the last of Ken's pics than the preceding six.

I think we're all agreed that there is no single colour code that counts as "British Racing Green", but I do seem to recollect that French Racing Blue was a bit more closely defined?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Wow. I went off to work and a lot has happened!

I humbly thank everyone for the positive input. Nice photos everyone! Nice artwork Laurence!
smile.png

To help answer your question John. The first set of photos were taken with a 1959 Edsel... I meant to say my $59 Olympus FE-47 from 10-years ago or more? I add a lot of light to prevent it from looking like a dungeon. The last photo is the host's $300 camera. I don't know the brand. I only know he bought it just for track shots with low lighting. My equipment/junk doesn't compare.

The paint is a spray-can of Tamiya TS-41 Coral Blue.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I do like the colour but still found it strange that 70% were red, 30% green, and only one car the same colour as your so you changed it 🤪

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
John MW

You're quite right. British Racing Green was never defined, and still hasn't been, whereas the French originally adopted the shade of blue normally to be found on the country's national flag.

As the twentieth century ticked by, French cars were painted in almost every shade of blue imaginable. Many came to think of the 35B Bugatti as the 'correct' shade (even though they differed one from another) because victories by the Molsheim cars were even more prolific than the modern-day Schumacher and Hamilton success.

Many years ago, people in the British Bugatti fold would have you believe that Sir Ralph Millais's Type 59 was bang on. They were right but I just wished at the time that they'd stop waffling it out so often. Waffle! Unrivalled.

·
Al Schwartz
3,392 Posts
Anyone like me who took up photography in the 50's will be well aware of the fact that, even with all other conditions constant, there was a broad range of color rendition across the films of the era, even within the same manufacturer - Kodachrome, Ecktachrome and Ecktacolor were all different. Agfachrome had a distinct personality as did Ilford and Fuji. The color temperature* of the illumination makes a difference and, for low-light photography, there is the issue of "reciprocity failure" - uneven chroma response in long exposures.

My take? While I may agonize over a mm of wheelbase etc. when its time to paint "looks OK" does it for me.

EM

*and, for outdoor photography, varies over the course of the day

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
There's an additional dimension to colour discrepancies among film brands. It's simply that people often differ, one to another, as to how we see and perceive colours.

It's well known that blue and green, for example, can present some of the widest variations in perception. I know nothing about the physiology of human eyes, but understand that rods and cones, again from one person to another, can be so very different that one person's green is another's blue.

Years ago I knew a chap who restored old cars for a living. A client wanted his Alfa painted in a deep red. The latter was given an enormous catalogue of colours, and asked to choose the red he required.

After much deliberation he pointed out his preference, after which he sought the counsel of an optician. He'd actually chosen... green.

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
As an aside, 2508 and 2509 usually ran with Dunlop alloy wheels, rather than the more traditional spoked items. A pic below of Hawthorn in 2509, the 250F owned by the Owen Organisation.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
GP motor racing was different in 1954. Below, a photo of 250Fs parked on a public road in Barcelona, prior to the Spanish Grand Prix.

The equivalent today might be a brace of Alfa-Romeo parked outside a pub in Brackley, waiting for mechanics to finish breakfast before being driven on public roads to the circuit. It couldn't, and wouldn't happen.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
Not officially a 250F, because it was built by Colotti in 1959. Competed unsuccessfully in the American GP, the Tec-Mec marked the final chapter in the history of this illustrious GP machine.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
Moss in 2522 en route to victory at Monaco, 1956. In those days it was possible to drive to Monaco, and find a parking space.

You could also buy a glass of wine for less than the cost of a three-bedroom semi, walk along the harbour without seeing people with weird haircuts, and gather around the evening trough without some wretched pop star making a spectacle of himself.

Yes, I know. I'm a moaning oldie.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Laurence. That photo is just awesome! Thank you!
thumbsup.gif

We all had our teen years. We all pretended like we were weekend millionaires at one time or another. Don't be disappointed about the here and now. I would not like to be a teen or young man in this era. I'm happy these challenges are behind me. We live in much stranger times today than when we were young. I happily bury my head in slot cars now as an old fart.
biggrin.png

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
Ken

My sentiments exactly. I'm certain we had the best days. Motoring and motor racing won't be the same even ten years from now but, of course, youngsters who follow Formula E today will be saying exactly the same things by the end of this century.

As usual, plus ca change.

·
Al Schwartz
3,392 Posts
Ditto here. I don't follow 1:1 racing anymore - no interest in 1000HP rolling billboards. Unless a class calls for it, post 1960 builds are rare on my bench. The "newest" prototype represented in the collection is a 612P although a Shadow DN4 exists as a bare body, some photos and a few sketches. (Correction - I do have a slightly tuned RTR of a later LMP car only because we have a local class for it - I race it as and extended practice session)

EM

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Nice collection Laurence. But you had to get at least one Beetle in the shot eh?
biggrin.png

Reactions: gteye

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
Matthew and Ken

My thanks to you both. I regularly race these cars on a rota basis. Enjoy them all immensely. I'd forgotten about the Beetle. Hadn't spotted it when I snapped the pic. And it's a black one, for crying out loud. Tut! And tut again.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts