SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Nearly one year ago our swedish member -Carver- send me a copy of his fine coachwork.

He had developed a body self-made starting from a wooden piece up to a resine mould - he presented his work here at the S.F. -

He was so kind to hand me over one. (T)his mould now was base for my attempt to do the -Zagato- car.

I have to repeat - thanks to Carver -.........

In 1957 the -Maserati team- take part at Le Mans. They brought five racing sports cars to France; among them a two seating

GT sports car with closed coachwork. To improve aerodynamic effectivity the design became very particular when F. Costin and

Zagato worked together. Unfortunately the result wasn´t satisfying enough to beat other competitors.

After some hours of racing the car driven by S. Moss and H. Schell had to give up.

The following pics illustrate some main steps of work. It´s not a detailed report.

But I think it´s a fine -overview- how my -Zagato- model was executed.

( for further informations see my report at the -German Scratchbuilt Forum-

https://scratchbuilt.iphpbb3.com/forum/94048463nx42111/1-32-scratchbuilt-slotcars-f2/maserati-450-s-coupe-le-mans-1957-t3250.html

I started my -project- beginning to remove some thickness of the -Carver-shell.

mas.1oeq0v.jpg

Detail work starts: opening lamp positions front/rear, built in base constructions for headlamps (half shell parts taken from a -Porsche-model)

opening of some body parts, small -interventions- on the body design.

mas.3lbo6w.jpg

mas.4qjp2l.jpg

mas.56qrq9.jpg

Body work, closing headlamps with putty (2c- polyester)

some tiny revisions at the front design.

mas.7skp65.jpg

Detailwork for window positions

Mock up parts (fine card board) to get the right design for glazing parts at the windscreen ( position left/right)

All window parts are cut off a transparent polystyrol sheet (thickness ca. 0,2mm)

mas.9mbong.jpg

Detailwork nearly finished: prime coating layer

mas.24kopieb7qkl.jpg

Built in lighting system for front and rear : A base construction was fixed on the chassis, led´s (diameter 3mm) for front

are built into drill holes and fixed. ( lighting system by -Overdrive)

mas.21bkrmy.jpg

When paintwork is done and all detail parts are on the bench assembling goes on:

The pic shows nearly all components.

mas.23oconn.jpg

Next is to built in all glazing parts: To get close to the original all window should be fixed nearly flush to the body surface.

You had to prepare your parts precisely so that the part fits in the window opening without wide joints.

For glueing I always use a tranparent soluble glue. You mix it with water so that you get a liquid to fill the fine joint

between glazing part and window frame. This type of glue dries without any residues and fits very well.

mas.24l4qow.jpg

The final assembling: body, tri dimensional cockpit insert and chassis

( the chassis construction is composed by two longitudinal frame parts and connected by a horizontal base sheet.

All components cut off polystyrol sheets (thickness 1,5 - 0, 5mm) glued together with CA. glue.

Motor amount taken from a -Fly- chassis, motor -Mabuchi- FC 130, gears and bearings from -Slot.it-

Fine spoke wheels from P. Seager

mas.a0iqrg.jpg

The result :

mas.bryqw5.jpg

mas.c1yq7q.jpg

mas.d06rkd.jpg

mas.el4qfl.jpg

mas.fa9rq2.jpg

mas.ggrqk4.jpg

Spider and coupe:

mas.h18rci.jpg

mas.ibhq97.jpg

mas.jrzqce.jpg

mas.kfgpla.jpg

Thanks all for showing

claus

·
Gerald Lambourn
1,006 Posts
And what's the source of the 450S spyder or barchetta? I specially liked the way the exhausts entered the body, v. tricky to do on the Betta shell.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hello Gerald,

My -source- for the -Zagato coupe- # 1, is -Carver- made.

And he did the mould starting with a wooden piece............ No -Betta- made shell is used......

My spider version # 2 is a altered -Racer- body.

vbr, claus

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have been longing to see this one finished - and it certainly was worth waiting for! What a wonderful result, Claus!

You make the details no one else even dare thinking of... like the small bar above the upper wiper. I very much admire your window work, not to mention everything else...

I am very proud to have provided the starting point for this build, who would think it could be turned into something like this?
clap.gif

These two make a very nice couple.

Carver

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
That is wonderful work Claus, another masterpiece. You've created a beautiful realization of Carver's body shell and all the added details are fantastic.

May I ask about your technique to make the windshield wipers? They look very nice. I've been spending the past few days cutting and grinding windshield wipers out of stainless steel sheet, but it is quite challenging to fabricate all of the tiny arms that compose the wiper assembly. How do you create such precise tiny parts?

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
A brilliant build.

10/10 for carver's shell and 11/10 for claus' build.

David

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Thai-Racer,

Thanks for your fine comment.

I use photoetched metal spare parts for my wipers. Blade and arm is one metal piece. Both wipers were painted silver.

At the Maserati I had to shorten lenth of the blad; wiper arms were put into small drill holes at the body. (use a fine nipper to create right the position of the arms)

That´s it..........

I think you should get these -spare parts- at your slotcar-dealer.

regards claus

·
Registered
38 Posts
Beautiful work! And as mentioned, top paint job too. Congratulations to you both. Correction; 'You three', as the wheels complete the convincing look.

·
re member
4,097 Posts
Beautiful cars there, Claus. I continue to be amazed and impressed by your work standard which gives me a target to aspire to.

Carver also sent me a coupe shell with permission to work it up and reproduce it as I see fit.

One day it will happen.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Munter,

....One day it will happen......,
biggrin.png

I always think like you when I have a look at my little -magazine- with kits on rack boards ..........

greets from Germany ,

claus

·
re member
4,097 Posts
Thanks Claus. I appreciate your reply. Regards John

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm speechless… Munter's shell was already amazing.
Now, thanks to your own touch it became a reference to show in each and every "scratch build school"
biggrin.png

Thanks for sharing and please keep us posted with your work.
thumbsup.gif

Greetings
JM

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello Pike,

My -Maserati- body came directly from -Carver.- which develpoed the master mould.

Meanwhile it´s possible that -Munter- started to produce some kits ..........but I do not know .............

vbr, claus

1 - 20 of 25 Posts