SlotForum banner
81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
As many times before I mess it up in the last phase. Glue on the fingers, glazing problems, stains, you name it!

I might return someday and rework it, but for now, I am done!

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Looks pretty OK on track...

Vehicle Tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

and at the parking lot.
smile.png

Thanks for looking

Carver

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
It is these tiny errors and imperfections that give the hand built scratchbuilt car the charm and individuality - and they are all the better for it.

David

Reactions: carver

·
Gordon Steadman
6,912 Posts
It is these tiny errors and imperfections that give the hand built scratchbuilt car the charm and individuality - and they are all the better for it.

David
It does sound daft but quite often I find that the small drifts from accuracy capture the feel of the full size car better than rigid adherence to fidelity. Good excuse anyway
smile.png

·
Al Schwartz
3,396 Posts
It does sound daft but quite often I find that the small drifts from accuracy capture the feel of the full size car better than rigid adherence to fidelity. Good excuse anyway
smile.png
This is a concept very widely discussed in modeling circles including model railroading. Similarly, a (painted) portrait may better capture the sense of a subject vs a photograph. In modeling, a lot of it may stem from the very different perspectives in which the prototype and model are seen. As an example, standing next to a 450s Maserati, there is a sense of brutish elegance. As a model, it is clear that it is actually a relatively small car.

EM

·
Rich Dumas
3,667 Posts
Some years ago I read an article by the person that modeled the bodies for Tamiya, he said that if you simply scaled down the 1:1 car that it was not likely to look right. When I was doing HO cars I started with the correct proportions and adjusted things from there. In short you are not going to be happy with a model that does not look right, even if it is in perfect scale.

·
Registered
535 Posts
These are all interesting point of views, an everlasting discussion that will turn up now and then.

Personally, I am a "doer", I don't go too much into theories. I look at photos and the model, trying to get it look "right" within the given measures.

Just for fun, trying to catch the essence. Sometimes it turns out very well!

This particular car I think is one of them.

When I wrote something about reworking it I meant glazing, painting, that sort of things that make it look pretty when it is blown up.
smile.png

The basal shape of this model is as good as I ever can hope for...

Carver

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Having worked in design studios of various full size manufacturers I have seen on many occasions a 1/4 scale model does not "work" when reproduced in full size. No consistent reason, it just didn't look right. The same can happen in reverse, in this case some features that define the full scale car don't stand out on the smaller model - that's where the skill and eye of the modeller are required, to get the look right regardless of mm.
Great work by the way

·
Al Schwartz
3,396 Posts
Working on an example of this right now - late 30's MB GP cars. They are covered in louvres. I can work out the louvre spacing - measure a row and compare it to the wheelbase measured on a good side view, count the louvres and divide - not perfect but close. I can make louvres any size I want. I use a Dremel tool in a small X Y Z system to engrave machinists wax, take a mold and cast a sheet of louvres from which I cut an appropriate strip. OK so far but doing this on a model, insetting the strip, pulling a mold and casting a body, the louvres essentially disappear and the impression of a heavily louvres hood (bonnet) is lost.

EM

·
Al Schwartz
3,396 Posts
EM,

If the louvres essentially disappear after casting the body, why not cast the body and then fit the strip of louvres?

Geoff
The louvres are accurately reproduced in the body casting. The point was that "scale" louvres do not provide an effective image when seen in the context of the complete shell.

EM

81 - 100 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.