SlotForum banner

Maserati tipo151/3, the Drogo coupe

26K views 106 replies 21 participants last post by  GRUNZ 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Another beautiful loser (sometimes called tipo152).

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Photos are from leMans -64.

If anybody should be interested, the full story of these cars can be read here: http://www.theautochannel.com/publications/magazines/sci/apr-may-97/maserati.frame

I don't really trust the plan view I have found on the web, but you can find plenty of period photos.

The lime wood shell is made much the same way as I did the Maser Zagato 450s coupe last year, so no need for an endless build thread again.

We can move on a little quicker, at least for a start...

Some pics of the work so far.

Hood Car Wood Motor vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Toy Vehicle

Automotive lighting Hood Toy Motor vehicle Car

Table Food Wood Hardwood Gas

I am going for the cut up version with a "skylight", not the alu-silver prototype.

This is where I am at present.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Toy

Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire

Very soon I will have to take a break. I need to figure out how to go about with the curved windscreen.

I don't do vac forming, it would take me long to build a former and learn how to.

It would also take long to cut up 684 PET-bottles trying to find the right shape...

Any idea or advice?

Cheers Carver

Attachments

See less See more
#102 ·
I have been following this thread with interest while holding and comparing the now stripped and primed Fitzpatrick shell that I built up about 20 years ago. the 4 mm wheelbase problem can be addressed by a judicious cut a bit forward of the windscreen. More of a problem: The wings seem to lack the proper "swoop" - they are low and flat compared to the center. Lowering the bonnet and surround is not on so I'm going to see if the wings can be built up a bit without making the distance from the wheel arch to the top too great. My current best guess is that about 1.5 mm need to be added to the top of the curve. Exactly how to accomplish this is under consideration. I think that process will be about a 3 whiskey program.

EM

#103 · (Edited by Moderator)
I see that the Master himself, George Turner is about to release this Maser, that really is good news! It is a shame it has not been easily available. And it looks of course great!

I would buy one myself if I did not already have a pair...

Who knows, perhaps he sometimes pick up good ideas from this forum?
innocent.gif
smile.png

#105 ·
He realizado una mirada rápida al tema y respecto a los detalles Vs escala, es difícil realizar algunas partes.

Como ya algún compañero ha opinado, a veces nos hemos de tomar la licencia de desviarnos un poco de la escala, para poder plasmar la características propias del cada coche a nuestra escala.

Hace muchos años y respecto a este tema, leí (en papel) una comparativa de dos coches en Die Cast. Un coche grande USA, con un utilitario urbano medio europeo. Se comparaban los tamaños de los diferentes elementos: manetas de las puertas. tapón de gasolina, limpiaparabrisas, etc. que en las escala 1:1 eran del mismo tamaño, pero no en la escala de las maquetas.

I have taken a quick look at the subject and regarding the details Vs scale, it is difficult to make some parts.
As some colleague has already expressed, sometimes we have to take the license to deviate a bit from the scale, in order to capture the characteristics of each car on our scale.

Many years ago and on this subject, I read (on paper) a comparison of two cars in Die Cast. A large US car, with a medium European urban utility. The sizes of the different elements were compared: door handles. gas cap, windshield wiper, etc. that in the 1: 1 scale they were the same size, but not in the scale of the models.

Frederic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.