SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
That is strange, I've also never had any type of paint soak through Tamiya masking tape. What brand of water based acrylic paint are you using? Perhaps it has some strong solvent properties that are affecting the tape.

Maybe try a different brand of paint? Have you tried the Tamiya paints?

I'd agree with applying multiple, light coats, rather than heavy coats. Another thing to try is to apply a Clear coat over the tape. The Clear will seal the edges of the masking tape, preventing bleed under of the tape.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
The coating that hobbyists refer to as "Clear" is, I believe, essentially the base coat of a paint, without the color pigment. I guess it could be considered a type of "varnish", in that it is transparent, and serves the same function of surface protection, but it's not what I usually think of when I hear the term "varnish". Varnish makes me think of a thick, hard, tough coating for wood products. "Clear" is generally a lighter surface coating, often used to seal decals and painted surfaces.

Next time you're in the place where you purchase your paints, look for something labeled "Clear". It should actually be labeled with that word. Most hobby shops should have it in stock. I believe that virtually every hobby brand of paint - Tamiya, Pactra, Testors, Humbrol, Gunze Sangyo, etc., - all offer a Clear. There are enamel Clears and there are acrylic Clears. There are different grades, or finishes, of Clear - Gloss, Semi-Gloss, Matte, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts