SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Constructed using a Charlie Fitzpatrick 'Matra 4WD MS84' Betta Classic fibreglass bodyshell, this model is intended to represent Jackie Stewarts 1969 World Championship winning Matra MS80. As well as the obvious technical differences, there were also a number of subtle dimensional, aerodynamic and detail variations between the MS84 and 80. I've not set out to achieve an absolutely accurate model; more so a 'generic' impression of the Tyrrell Matra International Team MS80 as raced during 1969.

The building process involved removing the original rear engine detail (the MS84 exhaust system followed a route above the rear axle) and using replacement engine/exhaust parts using bits and pieces from the spares box. The cockpit area has also been cut away enabling space for an upper half torso driver. The front and rear wings have been made from plasticard and strengthened internally with wire. Running gear is by way of a Penelope Pitlane in-line comp chassis; Slot.It Boxer/2 boxer motor and Slot.It crown and pinion.

It's been built for purpose and will race in the classic GP class at Tyneside Slot Car Club (TSCC). From behind the hand-throttle and viewed at a reasonable distance, it sort of creates the look I was after. I don't possess the skills to carve my one body shells, so until something else materialises, I'll make do with this as my 'MS80' for the time being.

The model is not intended to represent a specific race car, but is purely an attempt at recreating an old favourite based upon childhood memories inspired from early BBC black and white Grand Prix highlight transmissions usually accompanied by the voice of the late TV and radio commentator, Raymond Baxter.

Thanks for looking.

Dave

·
Kitbasher
4,372 Posts
Thanks for the inspiration, my Fitz shell has just moved up a couple of places in the 'to do' queue...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Very, very nice Dave.

I wish I had some races over here that I could build for....

And now I know how tricky Charlie's bodies are - a lot of respect for a great build.

Cheers
Andi

PS what do you use for your 'burnt' exhaust effect?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up David,

I spent all afternoon yesterday, prepping an old Airfix Matra, including cutting out the cockpit, then come on here this morning and here you are !!.

Can you tell me which car the Airfix model is supposed to be ??. It says "Matra Ford V8" insde the nose, but is quite different to yours.

vbr Chris A.

·
John Roche
4,233 Posts
One of the (many) things we need is a decent generic moulding of a DFV engine that could be tacked on to the back of some of these bodies. It's a pity Scaley don't sell one based on the back of the Lotus 49. I have the Arfix/MRRC version from their Matra but it's not that great.

Cheers

John

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (CJA @ 5 Feb 2012, 14:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ey Up David,

I spent all afternoon yesterday, prepping an old Airfix Matra, including cutting out the cockpit, then come on here this morning and here you are !!.

Can you tell me which car the Airfix model is supposed to be ??. It says "Matra Ford V8" insde the nose, but is quite different to yours.

vbr Chris A.

Hi Chris,

I believe the Airfix Matra is based upon the 1968 MS10.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi David
A pleasure to view your handiwork as usual
I,ll tell you as some one who saw those cars race ,you would need to be an absolute Matra Gricer to know yours wasn,t an MS80, well done

Cheers tony

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Dave

I hope I know you well enough to gatecrash your thread!

I spotted your MS80 on your club website the other day and thought then it needed a bigger audience, I'm pleased you've posted it here as your work is second to none and I look forward to seeing it in the flesh at some time this year.

Using the same "Classic" shell I built this MS84 for the Wolverhampton F1 meeting although didn't get to the race in the end.

My car is just painted "out of the box" as the Johny Servoz Gavin 1969 Canadian Grand Prix entry so it highlights just how much extra work you have done to your shell.

I have been planning a carving of a MS80 for a couple of years and this barely started master has been in my pile of half finished projects gathering dust. One day it will get finished I hope...

David

·
Registered
977 Posts
Wonderful !
Wonderful !
Congratulations !

A few details about the car : which guide are you using under such a narrow nose ?
Decals ?
Wheels ? BWA ?
Color ?
And which tires ?

All these parts contributed to the magnificent result !.

André Acker.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
QUOTE (andre acker @ 5 Feb 2012, 20:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A few details about the car : which guide are you using under such a narrow nose ?
Decals ?
Wheels ? BWA ?
Color ?
And which tires ?

Andre

I wasn't sure if you were referring to my car or Dave's beautiful MS80 but as Dave had posted a picture of his chassis showing the running gear I thought I would show mine.

A simple flexi chassis using a cut down SCD U bracket, ScaleAuto motor, Slot it guide, NSR rear wheels and Ultragrip F1 tyres, Slot it front wheels and tyres.

The decals came from my spares box from a mixture of sheets and I sprayed the shell with Halfords Ford Electric Monza Blue.

David

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi Dave (Wisdom, this time),

Is it possible to put some photos of the front suspensions, the motor and the rear wing ?

I would like to see some details of these parts.

Thanks and congratulations again, this is one of the best models ever shown here !

André Acker.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Andre.

Thanks for your interest in the Matra. As requested here's a few (rather poor) photos of the detailed areas.

Exhaust manifold/rear suspension

Exhaust and rear wing section

Front suspension

Front suspension

Overall view

Overall view

Thanks again.

Dave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.