SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Available from 31/08/2012

MB Slot have released a new line of NYLON pinions, which does not replace the previous ones, but completes the existing range.

As the number of teeth increases with each pinion, the diameter of the pinion also increases, optimising the mesh with the crowns.

The pinions are identified with the following codes:
Item 12108 8T dia 5 mm
Item 12109 9T dia 5.5 mm
Item 12110 10T dia 6 mm
Item 12111 11T dia 6.5 mm
Item 12112 12T dia 7 mm
Item 12113 13T dia 7.5 mm
Item 12114 14T dia 8 mm

Each bag contains 5 pinions with the same number of teeth, while item 12099 contains 1 pinion for each set of teeth, a total of 7 pieces.

As you can note item 12109 has pinions with diameter for cars with in line motor configuration; item 12111 has diameters for sidewinder and anglewinder pinions; and item 12113 has diameters which replace anglewinder lightened metal pinions.

The weight is probably the really important feature, plastic pinions weigh about 1/5 of metal pinions, improving the inertia while speeding up and braking.

The pinion's material has some rigidity, but also flexibility which guarantees a very good fix on the axle.

·
Jim Moyes
5,074 Posts
Would there be a direct replacement for the old Proslot pinions in amongst this range?

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
QUOTE (JEXY1 @ 2 Sep 2012, 16:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do all MB Slot motors come with a heat sync or are they available separately ?

Jexy,

Are you really that lazy? They are on the MBSlot website. 4 EU each.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
"The weight is probably the really important feature, plastic pinions weigh about 1/5 of metal pinions, improving the inertia while speeding up and braking."

Really?? People can measure/feel this difference????

cheers
rick1776

·
Tel
4,090 Posts
Not as much as a pinion/spur slipping I am sure !
Odd sort of backwards step IMO, I'll stick to grub screws and metal

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
QUOTE (Abarth Mike @ 3 Sep 2012, 04:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Jexy,

Are you really that lazy? They are on the MBSlot website. 4 EU each.

Yes and no - i looked at Pendle's web site and could not see them listed, didn't look at the MB site as my Italian is not upto scratch (unless i'm missing the translate to english button).

Just in case anyone else wonders; Ref; 01121 Dissipatore calore e protezione per motori

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
The next logical step in this kind of component lightening must be to introduce plastic wheels and save weight by not using a metal grub-screw but instead knurling the ends of the axle...

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
QUOTE (Coopdevil @ 3 Sep 2012, 08:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The next logical step in this kind of component lightening must be to introduce plastic wheels and save weight by not using a metal grub-screw but instead knurling the ends of the axle...

Now youre just being silly.....

cheers
rick1776

·
Registered
8 Posts
For COOPDEVIL:
The weight of the magnesium wheels is similar if not equal to plastic wheels. Magnesium wheels are more easily and quickly assembled, plastic wheels have the advantage of being more flexible. The system you are talking about used in RC in slot becomes expensive and complicated.

For JEXYI:
What you are looking for is item 01121.
We are working with Pendle to have his stock constantly updated. Next week our website will be also in English.

For Mr M.:
Proslot assembled pinion SW6.5mm which corresponds to our item 12111.

For RICK1776:
The weight for a car performance is the most important thing, above all if the weight turns. This is not useful if you use cars for fun and not to race.

For SAVAGE:
Please test the product before stating.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Looking at the pictures I'm curious as to the fixing of the spur gear on the axle, the spur gear lying behind the chassis appears
to have the usual axle hole but the one fitted to the axle has a large collar (admittedly you can't see both sides) around an axle
spacer, i.e. NSR, you would have thought that a push fit spur is not going to take long before it spins on the axle, surely a
better arrangement would have been to produce a D shaped hole in the spur to slide on to a flat on the axle.

Regarding Jexy's comments re the motor heatsink I've been looking at PN Racing's alloy heatsinks (expensive) but can't
make my mind up whether or not they fit to the motor or the chassis surrounding the motor on the Mini Z cars.

Robert.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
MB slot,

In theory I have no problem with the fact that you have reduced the inertia of the pinion by going to plastic. In practice you will need a timing system better than that used to time a luge run at the winter olympics, to "measure" any difference if it exits. Do some back to back tests and get back to the forum with your results. Happy to be proven wrong.

The reduction in inertia by going to a hollow rear axle which is 1g lighter that a standard axle is the same as removing 0.003g from the weight of a tyre fitted to that same axle system. You would probably lose that much rubber form the tyre after a couple of laps.

cheers
rick1776

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
MB slot is a racing brand, and i cant see them putting out a product without being satisfied its fit for purpose. i should imagine its a very tight interfearance fit, that needs mechanical puller and pushers to get them on or off. john

·
Registered
8 Posts
for RICK1776
I do not know what to say to convince you.
We did our tests, and pinions work very well.
If you want to send the product to your test.
We do not do math, but track testing with the best drivers
you must remember that you can have the best products in the world, but they must be properly assembled and tested by the best riders to appreciate the differences. Under other conditions, anything goes

for Stoner
The pinion is very hard to be included on drive axle, and also extract, definitely must use a puller and a press.

Ciao
Marco

·
Mark R-E
2,471 Posts
Rick - I do not get the maybe points you raise. Whilst 1g maybe not seem a vast amount as a percentage of a slot car let's say is 1.5% roughly. Weight in the drive train has effect of adding to the flywheel effect and therefore directly influences the acceleration and braking performance. Digging through Marco's performance parts from the excellent magnesium wheels, gears, interiors etc saves a huge %.

Rubbishing it from a position of ignorance is foolish.

You could
be right about the tyres. I remember watching a well known international racer run through setting a car up for a race in the UK. A tyre box was brought out all of the same compound and wheel, each pair 0.1mm different in diameter. Everything was considered.

·
Slot King
2,685 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 1 Sep 2012, 09:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Coopdevil @ 3 Sep 2012, 08:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The next logical step in this kind of component lightening must be to introduce plastic wheels and save weight by not using a metal grub-screw but instead knurling the ends of the axle...

That rings a bell!!

Plastic pinions, knurled axles, plastic wheels, perhaps Hornby had it right all these years ago.
For me plastic pinions bring back warm memories of hours spent replacing the split ones in old Scalex cars.

QUOTE (rick1776 @ 3 Sep 2012, 23:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The reduction in inertia by going to a hollow rear axle which is 1g lighter that a standard axle is the same as removing 0.003g from the weight of a tyre fitted to that same axle system. You would probably lose that much rubber form the tyre after a couple of laps.

I am with rick1776 on that one.
We all agree it makes a difference, but it's all relative, and I think that in most cases, the contents of your stomach will have a greater impact on your lap times than fitting a plastic pinion.
And it is rather disingenuous to suggest otherwise (especially if the testing was as unscientific as described).
Manufacturers must think we are totally gullible. (It would interesting to hear what actual lap time reduction is being claimed for these wonder pinions, I mean a 1g reduction, its bound to make a difference)

Joel

PS: Then again....

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Hi Marco,

You may very well have reduced the lap times in your testing. Would be great to see the test results.
The reduction in lap times would not however be due to the reduced inertia of the pinion. Perhaps the all up weight of the plastic pinion and spur is 0.5g lighter compared to metal gears? On a magnetic track a 0.5g overall reduction in car weight may be noticable.

If you wanted to test that the reduced lap times were due to a reduction in inertia then to make the test fair you should place an extra 0.5g of weight very close to where the pinion and spur are located. That way any change in lap times would be due to the reduced inertia and not just a reduction in the overall weght of the car.

By the way I have no problem with the concept of plastic gears. Done well they wear a lot better then metal gears.

cheers
rick1776

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Croker @ 4 Sep 2012, 21:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Rick - I do not get the maybe points you raise. Whilst 1g maybe not seem a vast amount as a percentage of a slot car let's say is 1.5% roughly. Weight in the drive train has effect of adding to the flywheel effect and therefore directly influences the acceleration and braking performance. Digging through Marco's performance parts from the excellent magnesium wheels, gears, interiors etc saves a huge %.

Rubbishing it from a position of ignorance is foolish.

You could
be right about the tyres. I remember watching a well known international racer run through setting a car up for a race in the UK. A tyre box was brought out all of the same compound and wheel, each pair 0.1mm different in diameter. Everything was considered.

Sorry Croker just saw your post. Im not rubishing the product, it may very well be the best thing since sliced bread. I weight saving of say 0.5g in a magnetic set up car would produce a measurable gain, Im sure. Im querying the claim that the reduced inertia of the pinion is the reason for the measurable gain. Simple physics will tell you that it will have reduced inertia. I cant argue that. What Im arguing is that it would almost be impossible to measure in a practical sense. Its like the claims you see that say by using this super duper oil your motor will gain an extra 8.2356 rpm. The diffrence between a cold motor and a fully operational motor is easily 500+ rpm and youre claiming to be able to tell that its 8 rpm faster because of the oil??? Give me a break.

Set up a drag run. Measure the elasped time with a brass pinion. Replace the brass with a plastic pinion. But make sure to add the weight difference so that the car's overall weight does not change. Repeat the drag race run. Now you will be testing the effect of any reduction in inertia. Do the run 10 times and take the average. Repeat with the plastic pinion. I suspect that the variation between any two runs will probably be greater than any "measurable" gain. Once again happy to be proven wrong, but pleased show me the data.

cheers
rick1776

1 - 20 of 45 Posts