SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts

MB SLOT has started production of a modular wooden track system for slot cars.

To produce the track to their high specifications, MB SLOT have invested in a workshop with a pantograph table and the necessary tools for the job.

The panels are made from MDF which has a melamine surface on one side, ideal for running slot cars. This surface is incredibly hard and highly resistant to oils, additives and abrasions. Finished in black, it looks good too. The surface is not perfectly smooth, with a waxy feel, ensuring excellent running.

The braid has been chosen with special care, with three options giving different solutions according to the track use.
  • Zinc-plated magnetic braid, with a profile of 4 mm x 0.9 mm, suitable for 1/32 scale and down to 1/43 scale.
  • Zinc-plated magnetic braid, with a profile of 5.6 mm x 1 mm, ideal for 1/32 and 1/24 scales.
  • Nickel-plated non-magnetic copper braid guarantees a long life, with profile of 5.6 mm x 1 mm.
What is incredible with this kind of braid is that only 0.1 Volt of the transformer voltage is lost, on a traditional plastic track more than 1.5 Volt can be lost. This means a higher motor performance in acceleration, speed and braking.

For borders or guardrails MB SLOT use 3 mm FOREX - an expanded rigid plastic sheet - cut in various heights according to the position around the track. These rails slot into the track - a 3 mm wide groove, 10 mm deep. This way the wall will be hard but not too rigid in order to minimize the slot car damage. The rails are easily added or removed without glue, adhesive-tapes or nails.

After various tests MB SLOT have realised that to make such quality track there should be no limits except imagination, and making a standard product was limiting, so MB SLOT invite those who want a MB SLOT track to contact them in order to design and made a track exacty to your specifications. Radius of curvature, number and distance of lanes and border size can be precisely what you want.

With the technology, production methods and materials used, the price of a completed track will be similar to a traditional plastic track, but with an incomparable quality, even in the long term.

An example of all this is the track in this PDF file, linked below, which has been ordered from us recently having 8 lanes of about 52 metres, with a distance between the lanes of 10 cm, 11 cm kerbs and a lot of switches and a pit stop, where the OXIGEN SLOT.IT system will be installed to allow for digital use.

The X-switch piece is 1 metre long, almost three times as much as traditional tracks, this means that it will be possible to change lanes at the highest speed.

Another nearly-completed project is the quarter-mile for slot car drag-racing, a track with two lanes 20 cm apart and a total length 21.6 metres. The drag section is 12.5 metres for the 1/32 scale and 16.5 metres for the 1/24 scale, with a long braking zone in both scales.

An upcoming project is the RALLY ANDROS track, followed by tracks representing real racing circuits.

Link to Track Plan showing sections

For further information, please contact MB SLOT:

email: [email protected]
Tel.: 0039 0 371 422233
Fax: 0039 0 371 55288

·
Registered
495 Posts
QUOTE (stoner @ 7 Jun 2012, 13:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>cost for a 1/24 drag strip and shipping charges to uk. john
If you want a braided wooden drag strip, it would be worth getting quotes from other professional braided wooden track builders.

MB offer lane changers, where as most pro wooden track builders cater for a market that doesn't need them.
Presumably you won't be wanting lane changers on a drag strip.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (stoner @ 7 Jun 2012, 15:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>cost for a 1/24 drag strip and shipping charges to uk. john
Regarding drag strips. They mention in this release that they can make them and have one being built. Ask them for a quote. They may not pick up your request from here.

QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 7 Jun 2012, 16:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can't find it on their website: any indications of price?
From what I gather, their projects are costed on a per-project basis depending on size, complexity and time involved etc.

Phone them or send them an email, give then a trackplan and ask for a quote.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (MBSLOT @ 8 Jun 2012, 10:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello everybody, this is MB SLOT, thanks for your interest in my wooden track
Welcome to the forum

Please post any pictures of any of the tracks being built. I am sure that members would appreciate seeing how it looks.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
roblees, when have you ever! seen more than a 2 lane drag strip. i was interested in the surface they use and just wanted a rough quote. john

·
Ian
99 Posts
MB Slot = Quality in my book, so when I saw this subject I thought great.

However looking at the photos I'm not so sure now

Lane changes and digital side of things fine,
but the corners
They are meant to be smooth bends

·
Registered
166 Posts
This looks really nice, but how much? A couple years ago I was interested in a Slotfire, but that was gonna be really expensive.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up,

I was initially very interested by this, brilliant lane changers.

Like Bleep, I am concerned by the "threepenny bit" curves !!.

Surely computer controlled machines can achieve a smooth curve.

vbr Chris A.

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Two things puzzle me - one is the thrupenny bit corners - I can see no logical reason - as long as the board split is in a straight line from the centre of the routed radius then it is, by definition, straight at the join.

The other big elephant in the corner is - why 8 lanes?!? Even if running 24 cars (is it 20 or 24 the current digital limit?) there is no need for 8 lanes in my book.

Or is it just me?

On the positives - nice long lane changers, great surface finish

·
Registered
495 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 9 Jun 2012, 18:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On the positives - ............., great surface finish
Surely an important feature of surface finish how well it works with different types of tyre? The only way to know about that is trying it with all the different types of tyre and see how well it works.

I have seen melamine surfaced routed tracks many years ago. They worked just like normal painted wooden track with the sort of sponge tyre that was around at the time, but I don't remember them being used with other types of tyre. Maybe the MB surface will be the same - no way to know without running cars on it.

QUOTE (CJA @ 9 Jun 2012, 16:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Surely computer controlled machines can achieve a smooth curve.
The other makers of NC routed tracks do just that, so I guess the "threepenny bit" corners are deliberate. Maybe MB could explain the thinking behind that?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
For the benefit of non-British SFers not-of-a-certain-age...

Ecurie Barnton's current track was CNC routed and has proper radius bends on it, as does/will the current Oakland Parks build which is also being CNC'd. So it's clearly not a limitation of CNC technology but it does remind me of a lot of 6 lane Ninco tracks that build up complex corners from a series of curves and short straights. Influence of plastic-track thinking perhaps?

Coop

1 - 20 of 35 Posts