SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
ParrotGod
11,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The model
This is my next project. Actually, I have two whitekits of the 720s that I will be building almost in parallel.
This thread is about the 59 Racing team that raced at the 12h of Bathurst.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Sideways has done a good job with this car. The proportion and level of details seem right to me.
For this specific car, I plan to recreate the details of the front grill, open the flood light covers and open the grill on top of the motor.
Naval architecture Boat Wood Hood Automotive design

Vehicle Automotive design Naval architecture Motor vehicle Hood

Table Tableware Wood Rectangle Hardwood

Table Wood Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

Hood Wood Floor Flooring Gas

·
ParrotGod
11,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Masking & Painting

The next step is to masking for spraying the blue.
I have to say that this was one of the most complex masking job I have done.
The lines of this car are so complex and the carbon fiber details are all over the places (eg, front lights).

For the blue, I started with straight TS19 and then mixed with TS51 (using the airbrush).
I think the final results are ok.

Hood Vehicle Wood Automotive design Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive design Car Vehicle Toy

Blue Wood Rectangle Material property Font

Tire Wheel Hood Vehicle Car

The funny thing is that I do not have the decals yet.
Fola should be working on them...but I have not checked with him lately ;-)

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
The lines of this car are so complex and the carbon fiber details are all over the places
Mmm, I don’t know if it would work for this model, but perhaps you could use some generic carbon fiber decal for those details, anyway it will be hard to cut the right size but less problem that masking with the risk of the paint flowing under the masking tape.

Nice project to begin 2022 Gio👍🏼

Reactions: GRUNZ

·
ParrotGod
11,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mmm, I don’t know if it would work for this model, but perhaps you could use some generic carbon fiber decal for those details, anyway it will be hard to cut the right size but less problem that masking with the risk of the paint flowing under the masking tape.

Nice project to begin 2022 Gio👍🏼
Thanks Daniel. I have thought about the carbon fiber decals but I think it would be a mess especially on the rear of this car.

Reactions: GDSLOT

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Hello Gio
Happy New year, looks like you've hit the ground running. As Tamiya TS is relatively fragile and your blue layer very thin. Maybe sealing the whole body with a shot of Mr Hobby Clear would be a good idea. At least it will protect the paint from damage by the multiple handling in your fingers.
And it will protect the paint from the iso/decalsoftner you will need once you do decide to decal the carbon on the rear of the car.

I'll ask Fola about the 720s decals when I talk to him tomorrow...see if we can speed things up a bit.
And you could speed things up as well...if you were to make some templates of the Sideways body. 🤪

With kind regards
Tamar

·
ParrotGod
11,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Happy New Year Tamar.
Yep, that was the plan. I think I will first go for Tamiya gloss coat, then applying decals and then go for a semi-gloss finish with the Mr Hobby clear.
However, the layers of paint is not that thin...I have to weight again the body with the paint on...I would not be surprised if it gained a couple of grams ;-)

I have been chatting with Fola about this. I think by the end of Jan the decals should be ready.
I am sure that he has some template because he has posted plenty of 1/32 decals for this car - just not the one that I want.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Skip the Tamiya gloss, that's just as fragile as the rest of the TS range. All TS paints are not petrol/alcohol proof.
I would go directly for a light coat of Mr Hobby Super Clear to seal the TS. (the grey cans are petrol/alcohol proof)
And should you ever run out of Mr Hobby semi gloss....a light mist with Mr Hobby Super clear Gloss...will give you the same effect.
As long as you keep the coat a bit "dry"

Don't think Fola's decals are based on templates of the SW car, maybe on the Carrera 720..which from what I've heard is a pretty close match to the SW.

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Registered
172 Posts
Gio,
Did you open up the backing behind the rear lights before you put the shell together?
The rear lights cannot be mounted with the rear bumper structure attached to the rest of the body!

The supplied rear lights are meant to be mounted from the top down before it all goes together. A mistake I also made on mine 🤔

·
ParrotGod
11,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Tim
Good points!

Did you open up the backing behind the rear lights before you put the shell together?
Yes, I drilled a hole at the back of each opening to make space for wire.

The rear lights cannot be mounted with the rear bumper structure attached to the rest of the body!
I am aware of this as well. I think this is a mistake from sideways: I do not think it is right to put the lenses during assembly time as the car will need to be painted.
My idea is to file the tabs at the bottom of the lenses and to slide them in after I put the red LEDs in.

Reactions: frp1700

·
ParrotGod
11,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have put on my standard suspension setup: on the rear slot.it suspension kit and on the side I used the shorter screws with the plastic stoppers supplied in the kit.
However, the rear suspension will interfere with the rear body post.
Actually, the rear body post has 4 ridges to add extra structural integrity: when you mount the body on, the front ridge of the rear post touches the top of the suspension assembly.
To solve the issue just dremel the ridge.
I remove almost all of the ridge except for the last 2mm close to the body. My hope is that this will still provide some integrity to the post.

Circuit component Sports Auto part Engineering Machine

Watercraft Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Boat

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Bob Chapman
7,085 Posts
Absolutely stunning work so far Gio. I am so happy to see you doing a step by step. I will be following this with great interest.
Smashing job for a brand new year.
Kudos
Bob

Reactions: GRUNZ

·
ParrotGod
11,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Bob and Happy New Year!
I think this car is going to be a very hard GT3 opponent to beat.
I would be interested to see how one of these cars will fare in the GT3 proxy that you guys run in Canada/US.

·
ParrotGod
11,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sprayed some clear coat (Mr Hobby Super Clear Gloss UV Cut).

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Hood Blue Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Checked the weight after all these layer of spray:
Green Bumper Mobile phone Auto part Machine

And this was before any paint was applied (however the original grills are still there)
Green Cutting mat Table Gas Urban design

Overall, I think it is around 0,5 gr of paint on the car.

·
ParrotGod
11,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Decals arrived and installed. I just need to take some pics...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts