1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I started my first DiSCA Project:
Building a McLaren 720S GT4

As this is my first DiSCA project I'll make a lot of mistakes, be aware ;)

Let's start:
I've chosen a Carrera Digital as starting point:
I will drive it on a Carrera Digital track.
Later I will install an oxigen chip, for the moment I will use the Carrera chip.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive design

Carrera cars are too heavy and the body weights a lot more than the minimum requirement body weight of 25g.
So I got a vac-formed cockpit from @frp1700
Thank you very much!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Rim

Toy Sports gear Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle

I think the paint job is ok more or less.

Next challenge: Get the interior out of the Carrera.
Wow.
Didn't know that Carrera decided that the interior and the whole body should be one part:
Automotive parking light Tire Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

So I had to cut it out and but the vac-formed in:

Automotive tire Toy Circuit component Motorsport Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Fluid

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Machine

The body now is about 27,5g.

Chassis:
I replaced some parts: slotdevil bearings 2.38x4.9x3.2, SRP axles,
slot.it z27 crown gear
front wheels: slot.it W17308225A
front tires: Scalextric (Standard tires from an btcc civic)
Rear wheel: Slot.it W17309715A
Rear tires: Slot.it PT1207P6

Next step is to use the dremel and cut what's not needed to get to 25g.
And to enable body movement. Therefore I will work on the chassis as well.

·
ParrotGod
11,923 Posts
Nice job so far. I am not sure why your interior looks so rough. Which kind of paint did you use?
I have done some lightweight conversions of Carrera cars for Disca GT3, most notably the M6 when still there were no other options.
But I knew that Carrera had done a strange arrangement for their 720S so I staid away till something more competitive (Sideways) came to the market.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure why your interior looks so rough.
In reality it's not that rough, I guess it's more a problem with the camera and insufficient light (graining) and metallic paints.
Colors are Vallejo paints for models and some tamiya xf colors. Tamiya have a smoother surface, that's true.
Any idea what I could do in addition to improve handling of the car?

·
ParrotGod
11,923 Posts
In reality it's not that rough, I guess it's more a problem with the camera and insufficient light (graining) and metallic paints.
Colors are Vallejo paints for models and some tamiya xf colors. Tamiya have a smoother surface, that's true.
Any idea what I could do in addition to improve handling of the car?
Did you spray the color or brush it on?

Remove lots of material from the body (but I think you are already doing that) especially from the top. I know that the roof of the car is one piece with the windows which makes removing material a bit more complicated. On the chassis, make sure that you file down the lugs on the body posts that lock in the mounting post of the body. With a scalper, remove a bit of material around the outside of the chassis to improve body float. Get some sloting plus half-thread screws for carrera.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
If only you would have told me you'd intend to use the NSR McLaren interior for the Carrera McLaren, I have a dedicated Carrera McLaren vacform interior tray too 😅 (did that one a long time ago for one of my own projects)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah no problem it fits quite well and I impoved the paiting a lot by using tamiya colors. When it dries it gets a smoother surface.
Anyway the McLaren is now ready to drive and the body weights only 26.3g.
So 1.3g overweight. Not perfect but it's ok.
Motor vehicle Circuit component Coil Gas Computer hardware

Motor vehicle Gas Differential Metal Auto part

Scale Postal scale Bumper Sports equipment Gas

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Scale Postal scale Office equipment Gadget Gas

Body movement
Finger Motor vehicle Engineering Electronic engineering Machine

I have to use other tires or cut away that plastic magnet box to improve ground clearance.
Wood Finger Calipers Thumb Fashion accessory

Attachments

·
ParrotGod
11,923 Posts
I think you were a bit too enthusiastic with the scalper on the side of the chassis ;-)
Are you going to prepare other cars?

·
ParrotGod
11,923 Posts
Hi, i used the dremel for the rough look ;-)
You wanted to be consistent with the interior ;-)
What should you change? Nothing except that depending on which scalex cars you want to prepare they might be more competitive than the carrera.
For instance, the latest GT3 bodies from scalex are very lightweight.
I managed to get the vantage body to under 19gr with minimal dremel work: Scalex Aston Martin Vantage GT3 R-Motorsport Bathurst...

I think that if you just put in a lightweight interior you are at 25Gr with unmodified body.
Looking forward to seeing the other 6 cars that you want to prepare.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah consistency is key ;)
Maybe I can have it more good looking next time..
I'll check out your Aston Martin!
I have the old Z4 and a 12C. I had to add weight to the Z4 to reach the 25g.
Even with standard interior.

Lap times dropped significantly with the lighter body. 12s -> 11.2s on average.

·
ParrotGod
11,923 Posts
Ok, I do not know if you have seen this, but this video should give you an idea of what to do to the carrera chassis:
I would recommend the scalex vantage. Also their new Porsche GT3 is really good.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes have seen that. I think the hard part is to flatten the chassis as it's form makes it impossible to lay it flat on the surface. Do you have some ideas how to do that?
Have you already built a GT4 Pro car?

·
ParrotGod
11,923 Posts
To be honest I have never done a GT4 cars. The class both in 1:1 and 1:32 does not appeal to me. I know that in 1:32 is a good way for people to start getting into more competitive classes.
But I was already building cars for wood racing so getting the GT3 cars is not that difficult for me.
If a GT3 car is only made by toy makers (scalex and carrera) then I like to spend time and convert it to a GT3 racer with a 3dp chassis and hobbist components (like the Scalex Castrol Aston).
But I really do not like carving the body or do any sanding. So if a pro maker (slot.it, nsr, sideways, scaleauto) makes a GT3 model that I like I do not see the point in wasting time brining a toy to be competitive.

I am not sure what you mean with flatten the chassis: which car are you referring to?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, I agree 100%, it's a great idea for beginners and people to get started with DiSCA!
I had a lot of questions about the DiSCA formula and will have more.
Regarding preference I agree, again. It's hard to go back to a toy brand when have raced more advanced cars.
So yes, for intermediate drivers GT4 is not very appealing. At least carrera digital cars are on sale and you don't pay more then 39€, digital chip included.
But still that's my biggest concern, acceptance of my group when I introduce that class.
BUT...i really need those GT4 cars for my NLS replica.
It's the only way to have challenging, slow cars on the track.
You can't reduce the speed of an NSR and keep it challenging.
So theses GT4 Pros fit perfectly to my concept:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts