SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recent months, many new GT3 cars have been released. The Sideways BMW M6, the Slot it Maserati, ... All competitive out off the box.

One of my first slot race cars I bought was the Scalextric Mclaren MP4.
The shapes of a McLaren are something that attracts me. When I saw the introduction of the latest 720S, I immediately knew that I wanted as a new GT3 slot race car.

720-Sdebut.jpg

One brand you can always count on when releasing quickly the latest models, is Carrera. Often they look very wide, but they are detailed!
As soon I could, I pre-ordered the model.

unnamed.jpg

After almost 1 year on the shelf, it's time to blow of the dust, and make it competitive!

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
There will be a lot most dust blowing to get that body competitive
lmfao.gif

But I like where you going so will follow with interest

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Premium Member
5,450 Posts
Um? Isn't the 720 on Racer's todo list?

Not that I, too, won't follow with interest the witchcraft you'll be using on the Carrera.

·
ParrotGod
7,878 Posts
Nice project. I have been thinking to do one as well but I have not 3D printing capabilities so I should be getting a chassis from one of the makers.

But as Winkel said, Sideways project seems quite advanced so maybe in one year or so we will be posting pictures of painted white kits ;-) We will still need someone to start making decals.

·
Premium Member
5,450 Posts
@Dingleberry, yes. Exactly. Yes.

@Grunz, build it, and they will come. 🤞

·
Registered
84 Posts
There will be a lot most dust blowing to get that body competitive
lmfao.gif

But I like where you going so will follow with interest

With kind regards
Tamar
I will probably have to blow more plastic off my face after the 'withcraft'
biggrin.png

Um? Isn't the 720 on Racer's todo list?

Not that I, too, won't follow with interest the witchcraft you'll be using on the Carrera.
Indeed, but the Ferrari 488 GT3 is also on the list of Sideways, this will probably come out first?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Day 1 on this project.

The car had already had a few places in my room. The daughter also found it once, and immediately did a standard crash test.
The spoiler did not survive this test, but the floor and my daughter's feet were unharmed.

05.png

Carrera uses a sturdy plastic, and also makes the bodies quite thick.
This isn't a problem, because Carrera still is more focused on the average club racers and home racers instead of those wanabe trigger monkeys like me.

Standard body, without the spoiler is about 31,3 gr. With most regulations in mind we have to find about 12gr in the body.

01.png

The construction of this body is pretty unique to me. I had never seen it before.
The front bumper, rear bumper, and sides were fixed in the body with screws and melting points. But, once again, typical Carrera.

After the first melting points were loosened, the entire roof and window unit soon came loose. This is 1 part instead of the average car. But, it's interesting :)
Fairly quickly I had more parts instead of 1 joint body. As a designer, it is actually quite impressive to see how these bodies are put together.
With a view to mass production, this has been done very very well.

02.png

03.png

08.png
I love the amount of detail on the helmets!
clap.gif

As you can see, the 'interior' has been included into the body. That must be a lot of weight that we can save here!
With the vacuum cleaner next to my desk, the drill, the cutter, and the scalpel went all out!

Later on, I'll make my own mold to vacuum form an interior for this body.

I am not a fan of those molded 'blob' helmets in an interior. For this, I gladly sacrifice some weight to be able to use the standard helmet.
In Dutch we say: 'Het oog wil ook wat!' - Free translation: The eye wants something too!

04.png

07.png

As mentioned by Grunz, there are already a few chassis' on the market for this body.

Prospeed Slot racing, a German designer Stefan, always has clever 3D drawn chassis.
Also Tamar, who I consider as my godfather in slotracing, often works together with Stefan.

Both for a slotit or an NSR motor mount are available. In my previous GT3s I always used the NSR engine mounts,
but this time I want to try the slotit chassis, with a custom made motormount.

prospeedchassis.png

What will follow in the coming days:

- Finalizing the dremel work in the body. The thickness can be a bit thinner for weight, but also for flex in the body.
- Making a mold for vacuum formed windows
- Making a mold for vacuum formed interior
- Finalizing the 3D model of the motormount

·
ParrotGod
7,878 Posts
WOW, that body is going to be a nightmare to put on diet.

With some many small parts and little "flat" surface where to let the burr/scalper loose you have to go in in a very surgical manner...I would hate it!

I agree with you:

- that roof construction is quite unique: if you are going to vac form it how can you prevent from being smashed as a boiled potato from a marshal?

- the level of details from carrera is second to no one: both on the exterior and interior of their models they put a lot of effort considering also how cheap they are compared to other brands. Carrera is the only manufacture I know that put the neck protection against whiplash (maybe aslo slot.it does this in their LMP cars). Again a nice touch for "just" being a toy manufacturer.

- From those chassis draws you will need to modify the mount posts in the rear from a 2-side configuration to a single central one. But I do not think that this is a big issue for you ;-)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I love to make "witchcraft" to Carrera and Scaley cars, have about a dozen or more with 3d chasis, still, I havent been able to make them as competitive as the top GTs of the likes of Nsr, but I do have seized some podiums vs Slot it, Scaleauto, Ninco cars or Nsr not fine tunned or in not expert hands.

Have a 488 that is beautiful to race in the Track and watch it overpassing Slot it and other good GTs!

Will keep an eye on your progress mate.

Cheers

·
Registered
84 Posts
WOW, that body is going to be a nightmare to put on diet.

With some many small parts and little "flat" surface where to let the burr/scalper loose you have to go in in a very surgical manner...I would hate it!

I agree with you:

- that roof construction is quite unique: if you are going to vac form it how can you prevent from being smashed as a boiled potato from a marshal?

- the level of details from carrera is second to no one: both on the exterior and interior of their models they put a lot of effort considering also how cheap they are compared to other brands. Carrera is the only manufacture I know that put the neck protection against whiplash (maybe aslo slot.it does this in their LMP cars). Again a nice touch for "just" being a toy manufacturer.

- From those chassis draws you will need to modify the mount posts in the rear from a 2-side configuration to a single central one. But I do not think that this is a big issue for you ;-)
Thanks! it is a nightmare to start milling into a body. Every time you have the chance to go through it. Been there, done that!
unsure.png

The roof is gonna be tricky. I have different thicknesses of lexan to try out. A 0.3 Lexan is still lighter than a standard hard plastic body, yet sturdy enough.
Trail-and-error will be helpful here. Nevertheless, regulations do not always allow lexan parts, outside the windows. So I will definitely have to provide an option B here.

Option B, Tamar taught me too much....
biggrin.png

As you already mentioned, the chassis uses 1 central screw on the rear. However, I will not have to adjust anything here.
There is 1 point in the body to attach the back body part. I still have to check with Stefan N. to be sure, but I suspect that this is gonna be used for holding the chassis.

09.png

As for the livery. I'm not gonna keep this standard, but it's just a test body.
A lot of new livery's are coming for this car. So enough decals to be drawn. Here are a few examples.

livery720-S.png

·
Tel
4,033 Posts
So how much weight did you lose just cutting out the inbuilt "interior tray" ?

·
ParrotGod
7,878 Posts
On average a Carrera interior can be around 10gr depending how much it extends forward and backward.

·
ParrotGod
7,878 Posts
The idea of using some existing point to mount the chassis is very clever...Stefan's signature!

I guess your plan B should be to cut the clear parts from the roof and add the lexan windows.

Nice liveries but still none of them have the Wow effect like for the 12C (eg, Gemballa, Redbull, Gulf to mention a few) or the 650S...

·
Premium Member
5,450 Posts
I was just thinking the same on the current crop of liveries. RJN's Brawn-ish thing the closest to decent-ish. Kinda. Shame.

So? Too many offs putting the Carrera on its lid and scraping it would scratch the paint off to clear plastic?

Asking for a friend who has too many offs putting cars on their lids and scraping them.😁

Reactions: GRUNZ

·
Premium Member
5,450 Posts
Genius. That's why you're paid the big bucks, Mr Mod'.👍

But, I'll actually wait for the Sideways _and_ a paint job with... pizazz.

·
Premium Member
5,450 Posts
Genius. That's why you're paid the big bucks, Mr Mod'.👍

But, I'll actually wait for the Sideways _and_ a paint job with... pizazz.

·
Premium Member
5,450 Posts
More genius at work - double post.

Soz.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts