SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've made anything new. Racing has started up again. It's time to see if I remember how to build a car.

I started off the project by selecting the wheels and tires for this type of car. Glueing and truing tires to the wheels. That gave me a starting point to set the chassis height from the track. A drawing was made, and a chassis made from the drawing. 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" wall aluminum square tubing was used for the chassis. The aluminum material came from a hardware store.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
This chassis looks familiar…your Pyro bodied hot rod!!! I have followed your tip regarding this inexpensive Home Depot/Lowes aluminum channel stick,

In a pinch one can even simply use a heavy duty adhesive to attach the flat side of a motor directly to the exterior of the channel, making sure the center line of the motor itself is along the center line of the body; the crown being outside of the bearing rather than being between the vertical channels.

There was once a now OOP cottage industry manufacturer of very detailed 1/24 vac bodied cars that built/sold cars with motors mounted outside the frame like this.

This is my current technique for building slot car chassis in the STEM classes I volunteer to instruct in elementary and middle schools.

Can’t wait for school to start again.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My old friend Viejoronnie. Nice to hear from you. That's very cool that you made your own spin-off version. :)

Yes, the Pyro hot rod still lives. Many new cars like this McLaren are on the build list. I hope to make another small dent in this forum.

Test fitting the chassis to the body is always a bit time consuming.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi GDSlot.

Is that what the funny smell is? I thought it was the camel. :)

Oops. Too low.

The body is raised up by the body posts. But it rocks back and forth.

Razor blades under the rocker panels prevents the body from rocking, and does a nice job of keeping the body even while the epoxy hardens.

More to follow...

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The chassis was easy enough to assemble once the body posts were out of the way. The rear bearings flanges and axle spacers were moved from the outside of the chassis to the inside.

More to follow.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
My old friend Viejoronnie. Nice to hear from you. That's very cool that you made your own spin-off version. :)

Yes, the Pyro hot rod still lives. Many new cars like this McLaren are on the build list. I hope to make another small dent in this forum.

View attachment 278524
View attachment 278525
Tim Johnson of the OOP Slot Car Heroes is the fellow who created the excellent RTR painted vac cars with all parts sourced/built himself from the hardware store aisle except the motors. The motors were located outside the frame. I’ll find the article.

View attachment 278524
View attachment 278525

View attachment 278524
View attachment 278525
This is the guy: Tim Johnson of the OOP RTR detailed vac bodies Slot Car Heroes:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
All the years I've been on the forum (about 12 though I have been reading threads and posts for about 18) I've never seen a chassis like that, it's an interesting design and well executed.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
All the years I've been on the forum (about 12 though I have been reading threads and posts for about 18) I've never seen a chassis like that, it's an interesting design and well executed.
Paul Quick on this forum sold a nice RTR SCH 1/24 Ford GT over the last year or two to another gent. I may use square plastic or aluminum tube or channel similarly as drilled/tapped buss bar is not cheap.

Tim even made his own wheels from 1/2” copper pipe caps, center drilled and tapped for 1/8” 5-40 threads.Tires to fit are easily sourced or diy.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The cost of the material for a square aluminum tubing chassis is between $2 and $3. Anyone can make one themselves at home with a cheap drill press and cheap/small bandsaw.

There is a fleet of brass scratch builders in my club always trying to beat my cars. Some do. Most can't. It sure keeps me on my toes as a builder.

Tamiya TS-34 Camel Yellow.

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
Beautiful, Ken. Love to see cars at this stage of the building process. Almost a shame to finish it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I’m currently doing 2 m8a mclarens but I used ts56 brilliant orange have only painted one so far as the body’s came out of my mate george turners scrap pot and were in need of some work to get them paint ready ,just can’t decide yet what chassis to use,will post a few pics at some point soon

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Here’s a pic of the m8a colour looks good ,or does it as the next pic shows slot it ,m8d thunderslot m6a Gturner m8a ,vintage m6a vac form painted inside with who knows what ,just shows as long as it’s not to dark just about any orange looks good on a mclaren
Plastic Wood Automotive design Personal protective equipment Machine
Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I’m currently doing 2 m8a mclarens but I used ts56 brilliant orange

Good choice on the paint anddelanyo20.............Tamiya produced their TS 56 "Brilliant Orange" for their 1/18th scale Tamiya McLaren M8A static kit, and it is a close as you are going to get !!👍.......Tamiya TS 34 (Camel Yellow) is not even close, but, if you are producing a fantasy livery (as I assume Ken is doing) the colour is irrelevant.

PS Licensing costs prevented them from calling this paint "Mclaren" orange/papaya.

Cheers
Chris Walker

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chris. You know me too well. I do my own thing. Rivet counters need not spend any time judging my work. ;)

Laurence. Nice pic!

Cool looking cars, Anddelanyno20

1 - 20 of 32 Posts