Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
A comment in my M7B thread about "blob" bodies, combined with my history as a slot racer rather than a modeller prompted this one.

The full size:

Like most of the 4WD F-1 cars, not very successful, but it has some nice features, likethe rear wing, quite a wide midsection, and of course those mirrors - what can I say...

Running gear for this one is a bit more complex than my M7B. I chose a flexi-iso this time, but the rest of the equipment is pretty standard:

To get some extra detail into the Betta lexan shell, I cut and folded and glued the front wings to approximate the full size a bit better than the normal vacuum formed shell. Pardon the poor fous - I got a bit too close:

Then the rear wing came in for a re-make as the Betta version is not even close to the correct shape. I made a new one from .030 plastic sheet:

With all the glueing and folding up front, I couldn't paint from the inside, so the outside of the body got a layer of PActra RC lexan white to provide a base and then the McLaren orange enamel on top of that. I have extended the exhausts a bit with aluminum tubing and added a wire roll bar too, as well as opening up the intake trumpet holes. Engine painting still to come:

Well, that's it so far - the chassis runs well, but still needs a bit of sorting and I have to devise a body mounting system. The body detailing needs to be finished, then it's the driver's turn.

Oh, the mirrors are done - just no photo's yet (trying to keep Russell in suspense
)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Dennis,

Looks great! A question on the chassis. Now that I've done a few body shells I'm ready to try out making a chassis. On the rear, is that brass tubing around the axle and does it sort of serve as your bearing and spacer?

On the front axle, it looks soldered in. Do you have something attached to the outer edge of the axle that holds the wheel in place and allows it to spin? If so what is it?

Jay

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Jay,

The rear axle runs in a length of 3/32" ID tubing. I start with the full width while I'm soldering everything in position, then cut away the middle afterwards. This maintains the alignment. It might not be as friction-free as a set of ball bearings or bronze bushes, but it's neat and simple.

The front axle is a piece of 1/16" piano wire. The wheels are bushed with piece of 3/32" OD brass tube that brings them down from 3/32 to 1/16 and then I use a short piece of tubing on the outside to hold the wheels in place. Again, fairly neat and simple and the wheels can rotate independently. Once BWA wheels are available with 1/16 holes for the front, I won't have to bother with the brass tubing.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I'll get me coat!

Beautiful work Dennis, my chassis' don't come close but seeing this standard of work is so thought provoking and inspirational - I can feel the draw of the model-making room again after the summer break.

David

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

Just so you know, back in the 60s in 1/24 pro circles, we usually used simple brass tubes instead of either bushings or bearings. Simply, they are very low drag. Better, easy to replace when worn. This was not an issue then as pro-chassis usually did not get used for more than a race or two. However, as I kept a number of samples from the day running, over the years, this simple set up has proved easy and cheap to maintain.

Fate

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Dennis

Outstanding
- still see all that quality building coming through - remember it from a few years ago ..... so I have some leave now - and will print this and plagarise for the Honda..-

gotta get my a-into-g finish a car for one of these races !!!!!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Superb Dennis.

QUOTE Oh, the mirrors are done - just no photo's yet (trying to keep Russell in suspense
)
Well I wouldn't be so sure about that. I have it on the very best authority that these two spy shots of your M9 have already fallen into Russell's hands!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
1/8th threaded vs 3/32 drills blanks?

3/32 drill blank every time. Straighter, tougher, easier to use. Set screw wheels are also better than threaded wheels and nuts. I have not used anything else for 30 years.

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agreed on the axles, and the 3/32 drill blanks are probably slightly lighter than the 1/8 axles too.

JohnP - your sources are as reliable as the CIA were on WMD
- the M9A I'm modelling has high mounted mirrors. Perhaps those are from Howmet's M7A? But does that car even have mirrors yet? And who is this mysterious authority on mirrors? Is there a coup d'etat being planned to overthrow the king of smoke and mirrors?

Come to think of it - where is Russell in all this?

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
All smoke and mirrors in my opinion.
I've been waiting for one of Russell's illuminating interventions for a while now. I wonder what sort of music he's listening to?
Did you hear about the vampire F1 driver? No-one could see him coming.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
I've been reflecting on this video presentation. I can't believe that anyone would pay for performances like these!

Great looking car, Dennis. JP, I think that the mirror images that you posted are of the car as on display at Donnington:-

In the one and only Grand Prix in which the car raced, the 1969 British Grand Prix where Derek Bell qualified 15th, just behind Miles' 4WD Lotus 63 - the fastest of the 4WD cars - but ahead of Beltoise in the Matra MS84 and Bonnier in the second Lotus 63, it ran with the mirrors mounted high up on brackets:-

I'm sure that Dennis' car will be a spitting image of the real thing!

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Yes indeedy, I'm sure mrs h will be knitting another three-armed jumper for Russell as I write. The piccies were indeed from the car at Donington.

QUOTE JohnP - your sources are as reliable as the CIA were on WMD

But Dennis, notice how narrow the rear track is:

I think you should adjust your model accordingly as I'm pretty sure it would help with the handling too!

Gah, giving away all these speed secrets

Btw, great video - I was wondering what Meatloaf was up to these days.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
WOW! I didn't even know there was a Howmet Tribute band in operation! They're good, Russell, but not such a close match now Mrs H has had her liposuction. And I ditched the Stetson a long time ago.

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Just about done now - here's the progress so far:

This one is for Russell, so he can inspect the mirror construction:

A close-up of the rear wing, the engine painting and the intake mesh (punched from a sheet of K&S etched brass mesh - a little too coarse, but better than nothing):

Sorry David - no pit lane pictures at this time!

Lastly - just an overview:

Just a little more suspension detail and some work on the driver left to do, then it's off to the Proxy.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Have you any idea how gorgeous that is? You guys are getting me interested in classic cars and racing now.

Maltese

1 - 20 of 23 Posts