SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

First time poster. Off we go…

I want to build an MDF bridge to support my classic track. Is there an accepted length to elevation ratio to keep the gradient of the track smooth? I want the cars to be able to take it at "full chat" without jumping out of the slot at the joints, but I want to keep the length of the bridge to a minimum. The bridge will be "modular" (oooh get me!) with a break in the middle to allow for easy storage and the addition of a centre section if required at a later date.

Will post pictures if it works. Won't if it doesn't ;-)

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,289 Posts
The best ones I've seen and driven (though I've never made one) were all curved at the up and down slopes. This was achieved by cutting or routing slots across the width of the MDF (i.e. from track side to track side, not along the bridge).

This took away any nasty angle at the flat to raised track juncture. As for the incline ratio, it's a case of try it and adjust. That's the beauty of the cut MDF - you can make small adjustments until it's just right.

OK, now the experts will step in and give you the proper guidelines! Good luck.

*EDIT* Welcome to the forum, by the way.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
If you want to take gradients at full power, steep gradients as such and the bottom of the hill aren't the problems
The problem is stopping the car flying where the gradient levels out.
There are various design tricks to get round this problem, like ending the hill in a corner which is tipped up slightly to match the gradient.
Variables like the bumpiness of the track (a particular problem with some examples of classic track), how long the uphill straight is and the speed/ stability of your cars mean you are probably best trying it and see what works for you.

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
QUOTE (Harry_the_Spider @ 18 Nov 2011, 12:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>without jumping out of the slot at the joints,

Did someone say jumping?

Yee-haw!

Welcome to the forum spidey.
Cheers
Richard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.