SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the scenic Scalextric track, I first started a small testtrack in MDF.
I learned much about it.
It is a good advise to do first a small test track, before you build your own MDF track.
After the test track, I built the Dakar track.

[/b]Testtrack:
It is only 1mx0.5m, with 2 cross overs, to learn about.
The smallest radius is about 40mm, and that is too small.
For smooth driving, it should be minimal 100mm.
I used a pendulum jigsaw with 2 soldered saws, to get a 3mm slot.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

rallyhub

The Scalextric track in the loft

Drawning the racing lines with black lead on the MDF

Fixing the MDF to the baseboard

The painted MDF

The copper tape

The chickenwire for some scenery

Papier maché

The painted track

The track ready

Some spectators

Top view

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Ben,

When you do the scenery by yourself, 20 Pounds will be enough.
It is easy to make, and a lot of fun, when ready.
Here is another picture of the track.

Top view of the test track

rallyhub

how much cash did this all come together , becuase i have a max of £20 to do this
i am going to try and making it look like my rug track

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After 3 years, I did not expect my test track here on top of the" tracks and scenery topic".

Hi Profoxg,

-To avoid a short cut, the copper tape has to leave the road surface, so the braids of the car cannot reach them on the position of the cross-over. Underneath is a cable connection to the other side of the cross-over, where the cupper tape reaches the surface of the road again.
The cross-over angle is a lot smaller than 90°, so it is tricky to place the slit nearby the cross over. The dam between the slits would be too small, so it could easily break out by a passing car.
To avoid this, I moved the slits a little farther away from the cross-over. The copper tape between the slits and the cross over is also connected to the cable underneath the cross-over.
In this way, the car becomes as long as possible current on the cross-over section.

-The copper tape width 13/64"= 5.2mm

Hi Graham,

The track is portable.
Once I took it to the office. My boss was so impressed; He started slot racing in a club, which he still does
These 4 cars are Ninco rally cars, no racing cars.

Hi Frank,

Thanks you like it.
But the radius af the bends are too small.
Not every car can be used on this track.

rallyhub

·
Frank
612 Posts
Hi rallyhub,

have you tried to mill the slot in that 40mm radius up too 4mm. Use a skalpell or a dremel, than it must work)
I had the same problem in my 65mm radius, i´ve milled it up too 3,5mm. Now it works perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Komm,

I did it freehand with a pendulum jigsaw (2 blades soldered to each other to get that 3mm slot). It is a very easy way of creating your own rally track.

As you can see, I started with a small test track to learn how it works and to get the right feeling. I would advise you doing that also. After you have finished it and you do not like it, there will be nothing loosed if you would throw it away, before you have added the scenery.

Very soon I hope to see the building process of your rally track here on SlotForum.

rallyhub
thumbsup.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.