SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, the planning stage is wrapping up and I thought I'd throw this out for any additional input. The Meadowdale circuit was an idea that didn't really take off, combination housing development and race track? The website for track historians is http://www.meadowdaleraceway.homestead.com/.

My layout:

For scale reference, the blue lines are the 4'x8' sheets of plywood. The room is approximately 19' x 12'-6". I can't pull the track away from the wall without conflicting with other uses.

The track had quite a bit of terrain relief. From what I've read, sounds like 12" is the maximum I should try. Anyone have a rule of thumb on grade changes with Scalextric / SCX track? (ie 1" per foot?) The USGS mapping shows on the order of a hundred feet, or three scale feet of vertical change. This would seem too pronounced.

I'm also looking to correct my mistaken purchase of R4s instead of R3s. Please see my Swap Shop posting, "SCX Track Swap" if you can help.

Thanks.

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
QUOTE (eea @ 21 Nov 2007, 06:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The track had quite a bit of terrain relief. From what I've read, sounds like 12" is the maximum I should try. Anyone have a rule of thumb on grade changes with Scalextric / SCX track? (ie 1" per foot?) The USGS mapping shows on the order of a hundred feet, or three scale feet of vertical change. This would seem too pronounced.I don't think that 12" is a maximum by any means, especially since you've got that much area. It is good to make gradual increases. From my experience, it's best to test it and adjust the grade if you have reservations. My track has 20" in a lot less space (6'x11'). If you're making a road/course, then I'd put as much height into it as you can. I was able to achieve both gradual grade changes and significant elevations by using switchbacks, but you've got a lot more room so I'd think you'd have opportunity to add more than 12" if you wanted to.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds like the elevation changes will only be limited on the storage space my wife demands underneath the benchwork.

Contours are 10' intervals (and needs to be rotated 180 degrees).

The layout seems to scale to the USGS and the historic track image fairly well.

Decent color photos of some of the '69 events and terrain can be found at http://miroldpix2.homestead.com/69oldpix.html

Thanks,
Ed

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
QUOTE (eea @ 21 Nov 2007, 10:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sounds like the elevation changes will only be limited on the storage space my wife demands underneath the benchwork.Nice photos, and looks like it will make a great scenic track. I'd do as much as you like, although I'd say that more than 24" can create issues in marshalling (unless you lower the benchwork).

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (ferraif40 @ 21 Nov 2007, 12:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi

Nice track layout, the straight will be awsome, as will the scenery. i expect the track is near you?

Jon

Sort of. Illinois is a fairly large state (in the north-south direction), it's probably about 2 hours north of me. I've never been there. Someone has even started a GPL (Gran Prix Legends) track of it, but never finished it.
http://www.meadowdaleraceway.homestead.com...developers.html

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Hi eea .. eeh .. Allthough the track looks very good as it is, this might be a stupid remark, but ever concidered to *invert* the track?

Meaning by that --put the long straight at the back/to the wall and have all the esses at front, all easy to reach for deslots. If you make the straight like a very lean upturned bow or a very loooong *hump* .. or *bend the reality slightly* .. You could still have a good height differance front to back and also interesting elevation changes at the front esses.

There was a chap, I´ve forgotten who [?], who did his track in such fashion. In his garage, was it, thematicly similar to jmswms´s track?

-- ron --

·
Registered
41 Posts
It looks like a real good plan. There is only one possible issue that I can spot. It looks like drivers will line up along the the long straight and this could cause visibility issues in the area of the dogleg on the right and behind.

As for scenery and the amount of change in elevation, don't be too concerned with being precise in the scale. After all, your track is probably a lot shorter than the real thing so just do what looks good. A trip to the real track may be in order to get a feel for what you are trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Eea --

I wrote a little bit in my blog about making a slot track out of Meadowdale. I think my blog entry illustrates what some others have been trying to say about modifying the Meadowdale layout for a slot track.

I too, would love to make a track out of Meadowdale, one with large elevation changes and landscaping. Like you, I'm a Midwesterner -- Iowa, in my case -- and I like the idea of a large, challenging Midwestern road course. However, I've not gotten around to it yet.

I got a chuckle out of the USGS map clips you posted to the thread; I have the same clips pinned up in my office and stored on a thumb drive that I use for all my slot-related information, articles, and resources. I also have the view of Meadowdale from Google Earth as my desktop.

Good luck on your efforts, and keep us updated.

-- Bill

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A little progress on structures. Since there is little info around, I took to scaling historical photos.

and reduced to a 1:1 line drawing:

more structures to come ...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (Wm_Brant @ 22 Nov 2007, 11:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Eea --

I wrote a little bit in my blog about making a slot track out of Meadowdale. I think my blog entry illustrates what some others have been trying to say about modifying the Meadowdale layout for a slot track.

I too, would love to make a track out of Meadowdale, one with large elevation changes and landscaping. Like you, I'm a Midwesterner -- Iowa, in my case -- and I like the idea of a large, challenging Midwestern road course. However, I've not gotten around to it yet.

I got a chuckle out of the USGS map clips you posted to the thread; I have the same clips pinned up in my office and stored on a thumb drive that I use for all my slot-related information, articles, and resources. I also have the view of Meadowdale from Google Earth as my desktop.

Good luck on your efforts, and keep us updated.

-- Bill

Bill,

Nice to see another fan of the old track. Do you, or anyone, know what happen to the pit area over the years? Looks like photos from '63 onward do not have the wooden frame garage bays extending either side of the main control tower.

This is very evident from the 64 USRRC photos. Anyone with AutoCAD (or a DWG/DXF compatible format CAD) is welcome to copies of the structures as they're available. Someone with some 3D skills could even run with the GPL project again.

I held myself back this weekend from buying a First Gear 1:34 scale Budweiser semi truck since Meister Brau banners seemed to have permeated the facility. A better fit might be their 1:34 "Chicago Express" B61 Mack. A section of Illinois Route 31 paralleled a portion of the "Little Monza" curve.

I also rolled the plan out to my wife who claims to have no problem with it. I will have some storage boxes to move, and have to hang drywall before I can proceed though.

Ed

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Meadowdale will make a terrific slot track. I've taken quite a lot of inspiration from this track and have applied it to the structures and scenery that I'm building for my track (Prairie Ridge). Like you, I use AutoCAD for track layout and structure designs.

The pit building at Meadowdale is a favorite of mine: so much so that I've used it as the basis for the new pit building on my track. My pit building will not be a duplicate of the Meadowdale structure, but rather will take on the feel of the 1:1 building. Like Meadowdale, it will be an open wood frame structure smaller in scale than current pit buildings. The pit stalls and "grandstands" above will be similar to Meadowdale, but I've located the control tower to the end of the structure so that it works better with the layout of the pit lane and paddock on my track. I have the drawings for this structure saved as dwg files and would be happy to share them with you. PM me f you're interested.

As for size/space limitations: have you considered building your table structure with casters at the bases of the legs? I choose to do this on my track (8'x17' and very heavy) so that I can move it around while working on it and the surrounding room. I used heavy-duty ball bearing casters with rubber tires and find that the table is easy to move around. Casters might allow you to move the table out from the wall so that you can locate drivers stations at the corners of the table, thus reducing the chances of obstructed views. You can also wire each station to operate either track. I did something similar to this and find the arrangement very nice. It provides you with the opportunity to drive the track from different vantage points.

It looks like you're off to a great start and I'm looking forward to seeing your track take form. Thanks for sharing.
Brad

·
Registered
570 Posts
Eea,
Their is a magazine called MRC- Model racing Cars

http://www.modelcarracingmag.com/Main/about.html

I can't remeber what exact issue, in the 20's I belive. they had an awsome photo spread of a meadodale track, Pure tower and all. I recommend highly you check it out. It will help you make your track perfect. I'll keep searching for it too!Good luck and keep us posted. It is a great layout to build.
M..

Ps,
Found it , issue #25. Cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here is a track that we race on in Elmhurst, Illinois USA. That uphill with the ess's really gets a lot of people. I'm looking for the latest pictures that show all the completed scenery. The silo was a track warming gift from an old club member.

As for the site lines, there are three separate drivers locations. When you rotate it gives you a different perspective of the track. In the first picture you can see Kevin in the yellow t-shirt is on the green lane, across from him in the white shirt is Bob (track owner) on the Yellow lane and in the bottom right is Ded on the Red lane. This also makes marshalling easy.

Here is the link to the track:

Meadowdale

Cheers,
Roberto

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks Roberto,

I had seen the routed 3 lane website. The banked monza had to be pretty tricky. BSA'a website offers some detail on making one, but a "deal" popped up on eBay this summer on 6 SCX R3 type banks and well plastic she is. I did start laying out a 3 lane routed track and found little room to spare for scenery. I can see the appeal of HO in model railroading.

For a complete distraction, try L-Guage. This is part of the lego train layout I built for my son's toy room. Meadowdale will be in the storage room next door.

The parent directory link and more pics.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=91483

Now if I could only get a NC-1 motor in this somehow:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/eeandrew...haparral-2e.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.