SlotForum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,814 Posts
I've set up a Mega-G 1.7 for our WHO Mod class - which is about half-way between EAHORC mod and pro-mod. Rules here. The class allows toy chassis with stock motor magnets and armature, but most other parts are free to be hopped-up. At the moment I'm using the Tomy Audi LMP body, but I am looking at ways of fixing a Porsche Spyder LMP2 lexan body.

I started with a stock Mk1 Mega-G chassis (the one with removable magnet clips) and fitted a Wizzard Storm stock front end with tyres ground down and spaced to the maximum 34mm legal width.

Next I wanted to fit a 22T crown gear and double-flanged wheels to the back. The stock Mega-G crown gear is 25 tooth. The ends of the axle are gnarled, so it is difficult to replace the wheels or the gear.

I started with a BSRT G3 stock axle. I added a 22 tooth BSRT crown gear and had to file down the rear of the gear by about 40-50% so it would fit neatly in the chassis. I also took a few mms from the shaft of the crown gear and then spaced the axle with two .010" spacers.



The Mega-G pinion was too big, so I tried Tyco and stock Storm pinions and chose the Storm one.

After running the gear with some toothpaste, the mesh was smooth, but still a little tight. Everything was removed, the crown gear shaft was scraped a fraction more and then reassembled. Perfect.

A pair of Quicker .250" double-flanged hubs finished off the rear end.



The next task was to source and experiment with stronger neo magnets to get the downforce necessary to make this car really competitive. I ordered some N48 neo magnets from Las Vegas and some N42 neos from Derbyshire.

The first to arrive were the N48s. When I found them online, I thought they would be too strong - but I wanted to give them a go.

I marked up the south faces of the magnets and fitted them into the chassis. No modification to the magnet clip was necessary. Despite being slightly shorter and very slightly narrower than the stock magnets, they sat well in the chassis.

On the track, the car was awesome in both high and low downforce set-up but the armature was getting too hot too quickly. The car needs to race two heats back-to-back, so this is a really important issue.

I decided to swap out the .250" wheels and replace them with .290" Quicker hubs. Running these hubs with hard compound, low profile tyres, the heat was acceptable and the traction was still much better than with the stock magnets.

The N42 neos - when they arrived - worked out a better compromise. They run well with the .250" hubs and hard compound tyres. I tested them out racing at the April WHO race and came 3rd, not far off John's EAHORC-legal Martech MR-1.

With a few tweaks - including going a fraction lower at the back - I came back for the last Mod round and got another 3rd, this time losing ground to John's lexan MR-1 and a Life Like with a lexan. So, I think I will be running a lexan body on this next time


 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top