SlotForum banner
561 - 580 of 615 Posts

·
Al Schwartz
3,396 Posts
This thread has been around for a while so apologies if this is a repeat but the spate of Minis has moved me to post my university days transport which would, I think, accommodate a Mini in the rear seat.

Attachments

·
Jim Moyes
5,068 Posts
Love the Mini, Vtech!

Fifteen years in the build - that's what it's all about.

Anybody can buy something off the forecourt (lot)!

·
Registered
945 Posts
264 BGP, 1 owner, low mileage, never raced or rallied? Registered Oct 1960 in London, looks like it has a fibreglass front end David, do you know what was the original colour under the yellow? Or 1960 Austin seven, kit of parts, was registered in Stoke on Trent, August 1960,Farina Grey.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
This was the ad for my first car, purchased in 1967 - sorry no photo's to hand.

Font Rectangle Monochrome photography Monochrome Paper

It did what it said in the ad. too. I did strip 14 teeth off the crown wheel at one point, so it had decent torque. I believe that Harry Weslake was an 1172 formula driver at the time and made the cylinder head for one of his race engines - before he was famous.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
PS

The Beetle engine I swapped for a cigarette hastily found its way into the Beetle below just in time to compete on the 1984 Exeter Trial. The daft Koni stickers cover messy paint. A fortnight before the event, the car was wholly devoid of paintwork.

When my late entry was confirmed, I daubed the body with Dulux Poppy Red - applied with a wide brush - and set off for the start at Cirencester.

Great fun and we actually reached the finish. Won a bronze medal the following year. Happy Days.

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
264 BGP, 1 owner, low mileage, never raced or rallied? Registered Oct 1960 in London, looks like it has a fibreglass front end David, do you know what was the original colour under the yellow? Or 1960 Austin seven, kit of parts, was registered in Stoke on Trent, August 1960,Farina Grey.
My Mini was dark green until I put the fibreglass front on it and hand painted it golden yellow and black!

Your very early Farina Grey will look superb when its finished, it is a great colour.

David

·
novice jazz player &
6,602 Posts
Not quite a mini... but my first car also used the A-series engine - twin SU carburettors... and always fun to drive - specially open top amidst remote mountains and lochs :)

C

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Vtecfour. Remind me to make a right-hand turn when I see you in my rear view mirror?

Cool looking vehicles folks.
thumbsup.gif

What is that Trisha?

1996 SS Camaro. AKA Ken's red zed. One of 2,400 cars made that year. Only 600 were red. 5.7L LT1 Corvette engine. Just a slow-cruiser these days compared to what's out there now. Fun to drive none the less.

Wheel Car Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Thank you kindly Matthew77. A Corvette engine does indeed have quite the rumble. It also has the rare "two out the left" exhaust option. An upgrade sure to wake the neighbours when I come home at at 1am.

Here's a funny story you won't hear about very much. A friend worked in St Therese where they made all the gen-4 Camaro's and Firebirds. The "two out the left" exhaust option was a last minute addition. It's well known that the Camaro division has always been taking Corvette parts as high performance upgrades. To keep the peace. GM gave Corvette division a 2-year exclusivity on Corvette parts. For example a 96 Camaro Z-28 has a 94 Corvette engine with a little less power. It keeps the peace between the employees.

Here's where it gets weird. When the "two out the left" exhaust option came out for the SS upgrade. In some people's opinion, the 96 Camaro may have sounded a bit better than the 96 Corvette. That stirred up a bunch of hornets at Corvette, and the "two out the left" exhaust option for the SS Camaro was cancelled not long after. Rascals!

Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Plant Vehicle

Attachments

·
Bob Chapman
6,955 Posts
This is my daily driver.It is a 2019 Ram.
It has a 5.6 ltr Hemi with economy drive.
Loads of power for hauling about 6 tonne which my Caravan fits into. But in economics it drops a couple of the 8 cylinders and gets 100 km on 10 ltrs.
Not bad for its size and power. Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Matthew and Ken

Just caught up with this thread, so to answer your question, my car pictured above (and below by way of reminder) is a mid 1970s Modus M2 Super Vee. It's one of three chassis and is fitted with a 1.6-litre, water-cooled VW Golf engine.

A chap from Seattle 'phoned one evening a few years ago in response to my online request for info about the car's history. He told me that my chassis launched the careers of Danny Sullivan and Eddie Cheever. It's a claim that I've found impossible to verify so, like many old racing cars, its history has been lost to time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The VW engine will be easier to fix and possibly more powerful then the current Ferrari F1 engine. It looks great even though the tyres look like they are off a Scaley modern Beetle. It just looks fun. I've never heard of Modus so I googled it and loads of information popped up. An interesting and different car.

·
Bob Chapman
6,955 Posts
Thanks Ken. It is fast and can get an oldtimer into trouble.
I love the ride and really like the view above other traffic.
B

Reactions: KensRedZed
561 - 580 of 615 Posts