SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought we were trying to encourage new punters through the doors at these slot meets.
If so why are there so many swop meets that are NSCC members only, surely there is only a limited amount of cash floating around in the NSCC members circle

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
nothing afainst the nscc, but very good question! Surely it would be better for dealers and enthusiasts and the hobby (well everyone except for the nscc treasurer) if these events were open to all?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Why? there are lots of non NSCC open events e.g. Phils Orpington London international. If you want to come join up! The newsletter is just as important as the swapmeets! As for encouraging new members is it just as important for forums like this to exist. For instance if you want to see the cars in the paddock at the Goodwood revival meeting you have to be a member of the Goodwood Road Racing Club current fee £85. If all the NSCC events were open what benifits would be to members? Since the NSCC committee sanction the NSCC swapmeets any oversee them. Why should they put any work into a non NSCC swapmeet?? I have this problem all the time I am the Events committee member for the GT40 Enthusiasts club if as nearly happened a member had a newsletter and photocopied it for his friends who were not members. If we took no action (we took action) then why are our club member paying for a benefit that has been freely made to every one? We would not have any members left!! Clubs exists not to be exclusive, but to pool resources in terms of finance, knowledge and friendship for the benefit of the members. If the benefits do not correspond to your needs do not join.
Regards Allan

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
QUOTE why are there so many swop meets that are NSCC members only

I am getting a little tired of this one - In 2004 there were 4 NSCC members only swapmeets and about 12 open events.

Would everyone please note that we are a members club and people belong because they wish to make use of the services we provide. Perhaps we should also distribute the monthly magazine free to all and auction the limited edition club cars on Epay! Come to that, perhaps you think the AA or RAC should give you breakdown assistance even though you don't belong to either organization.

The choice is yours - if you want to use the services we provide then join. If not, then stop whinging about members only events because they are of no concern to you.

Incidentally, a little bit of history for Phil Smith and some others - for most of the 80's and early 90's NSCC swapmeets were open to all. We charged a higher entry fee for non-members.

This was stopped at the traders' request because:

1) there was a growing incidence of theft by outsiders.

2) the traders said they preferred to have members only present because they came to buy not to browse.

At the NSCC MK swapmeet in February the hall is packed with NSCC members (plus a few of the usual parasites who make use of club events but avoid joining - wow, aren't they clever people??!!) and admitting the general public would probably exceed the safety limits.

Brian

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
QUOTE Incidentally, a little bit of history for Phil Smith and some others - for most of the 80's and early 90's NSCC swapmeets were open to all. We charged a higher entry fee for non-members.

Yes Brian, I was around then and remember this, a much better and sensible solution, I always thought.

QUOTE This was stopped at the traders' request because:

1) there was a growing incidence of theft by outsiders.

2) the traders said they preferred to have members only present because they came to buy not to browse.

Never did get the logic of the first point, why would a NSCC member not be the thief?
I would think the NSCC has a pretty normal cross section of members and there would be as many saints as sinners as in normal life!

The second point doesn't make to much sense either as how do you know who are non-members and who are members? Maybe a tatoo on the forehead would solve this problem

Yes the NSCC Milton Keynes event in February is very busy, but this is the only one that is, the other club events throughout the year are very lacklustre and I think suffer from their members only policy.
Maybe the club should make the MK show the once yearly members only event and make the others open and more viable and to try to attract some new members to the club?

I had a few people ask me yesterday why the NSCC were not at Orpington yesterday, there were a few committee members there so I can't really see why myself either.

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
The February Milton Keynes event is for NSCC members only but you can join the club on the door.

A question Brain may be able to answer for me,
How many NSCC members are there at the moment?

and what has been the maximum amount of members the club has had at any one time?

Just curious,

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
QUOTE (philsmith @ 19 Dec 2004, 13:42)The February Milton Keynes event is for NSCC members only but you can join the club on the door.

A question Brain may be able to answer for me,
How many NSCC members are there at the moment?

and what has been the maximum amount of members the club has had at any one time?

Just curious,
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A reasonable question Phil - but slightly off the original topic - will start a new thread.

Brian
P.S. It would help if you could spell my name correctly! Sorry, but I am obsessed with spelling and grammar.

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Sorry Brian, just a typo, people actually always spell mine wrong, full name is Philip, not Phillip. As for Mr De Lespinay I can never remember whether its two L's or two P's or both!

P.S. I think the numbers of members question is very much in topic, or rather, as the topic has progressed.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Phil Smith's question about the number of NSCC members has set me thinking - just how many actual slot car enthusiasts are there? Not the people who belong to Hornby's Enthusiasts' club - the real fanatics who want to take their interest in the hobby a bit further.

The current NSCC membership is slightly over 1000; the highest figure achieved was 1200 in the mid 90s - just as the current boom was taking off and before Ebay took hold. The lowest point in recent years was about 1999 (less than 900) and we have had a modest steady increase in recent years.

Certainly Ebay has restricted membership as many people joined purely for the "members adverts" which have become virtually non-existent.

Now the club has related organizations in Holland, Australia, Spain and France; the Dutch and Australian clubs are quite small (about 200 each) but I have no figures for France and Spain. I suspect the Spanish membership could be quite high as they give a car away each year (like "Racer") and produce a full colour magazine. Their membership is strictly limited to those with a Spanish address.

Then we have Forums such as this one; membership of Slotforum is 1501 but, unlike the NSCC which has renewable membership, there is currently no way of knowing how many people are active members as once you have registered you are there forever. Perhaps the moderators could provide realistic figures?

So, bearing in mind duplication of membership, how many of us are there?

Over to you.

Brian

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
My original question concerned NSCC membership, so the following only deals with that.
The trend looks like one of decline, which is strange as slot car racing interest is definatley on the increase!

So you may ask what is the NSCC doing wrong? as it is not atracting these newcomers to the hobby, as surely it should be.

Maybe the policy of closed swapmeets is one reason.

Anyone got any other ideas?

·
DT
5,195 Posts
We conducted a member's survey shortly after we started the forum about a year ago. We will do the same again in the new year and will make the data available to interested parties. What will be interesting is the progression and movement from last year.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
QUOTE So you may ask what is the NSCC doing wrong? as it is not atracting these newcomers to the hobby, as surely it should be.

As the NSCC is a small enthusiasts club run by an amateur committee I am sure we make many mistakes but, as the reason for lack of growth is poor retention rather than lack of recruitment, your theory about open swapmeets just doesn't hold water Phil.

We recruit a significant number of members each year but we also lose a lot so perhaps the answer is more members only swapmeets rather than less.

Brian

·
Registered
979 Posts
I would like say that the number of 'slot car' baised swap-meets are fine, I live in the Berkshire area and really enjoy travelling to MK in Feb and the event later in the year, I don't have a problem with the fact no event is right on my door step.

As many people may have found swap-meets catering towards toy collectors and the model railway market are more common place across the country (and I know, my Dad is a keen railway modeller!), but if the number of slot car events increased, it could damage the special occasions e.g. the NSCC MK event - plus it would have a knock on effective to dealers like MRE, Getslotted, Pendle and Slot City who offer great service/products through their websites.

At first I admit, I wasn't an NSCC member and attended the MK event in Feb and was fine with paying the higher entrance fee, and honestly I was going to join the club but unfortunately over spent that day!

But when I attended the event at MK later in the year I joined the NSCC, and it was the best thing I had done regarding my hobby of slot cars. The reasons for joining were clear, firstly the excellent monthly newsletter, the special edition cars, what I had heard from this forum and Mr Jex's professional and kind manner at the NSCC table @ MK.

Every month I look forward to the NSCC newsletter and when it does arrived, I read it cover to cover in a space of a few hours (Note: excellent work by the editor and writers!).

Also the new special edition Scalextric minis look excellent, so I can't understand why someone doesn't want to join, and come on it doesn't cost the earth and you won't be moaning about NSCC only events!

FAO NSCC Editor: Plus if any help is needed in the area of design (I know this is a shameless plug!) I am graphic designer by day and slot addict by night.

Cheers

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
QUOTE I had a few people ask me yesterday why the NSCC were not at Orpington yesterday, there were a few committee members there so I can't really see why myself either.

As far as I am aware you didn't ask us.

I have just received a polite email from Jon Learmouth at Slotcity asking several questions about NSCC attendance at the forthcoming Swindon event - the proper way of doing things to my mind.

If you ignore us and/or slag us off on websites such as this then don't be surprised if we don't wish to give our unpaid efforts for your commercial benefit. Possibly not the correct way to promote the NSCC but simply human nature I am afraid.

Brian

G

·
Brian,
I am with Phil on this, closed to only NSCC members swopmeet are a stupid idea and in no way does this benifit the NSCC I am positive it really works against getting new NSCC members.

The problem with the NSCC is certain people take to making up rules that are not in the clubs interest.

Jeff.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Brian,

Do traders at closed events have to be NSCC members to book a table?

And I agree with you, people should either join (and so have a right to suggest changes) or not.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Jeff,

There might be the odd word missing from your post above, but I think you are wrong.

Firstly, not polite to call something stupid just because you don't agree with it.

As has been previously stated if the NSCC want to hold NSCC members only events they can and are no different to millions of other clubs and associations who do likewise. If you want to go, join. Simple, not stupid.

And yes, it is an incentive to join and a benefit to members. Nothing wrong with that.

Now, let's play nice or else I have to start using my big bad moderators delete button.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts