SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
hi all, haven't been on here much in a while but if someone could help with some info

is the 1/32 strombecker body shell for the mercedes 154 the same as used on the airfix mrrc version??

i recall reading that somewhere and am curious if it is true or not

any advice much appreciated

regards, Ron

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Yeah Don but,

the MRRC model, in both 2WD and 4WD versions, is their impression of the W154.

vbr Chris A.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
MRRC also did a W125 as a companion to their Auto Union. They are two-piece shells with " keyhole" guides. The upper and lower parts of the shell clamp the running gear in place. They need a fair bit of work to make them into a reasonable replicas. The W154 is a one-piece shell and is a much better model. I would recommend it. I've never seen the Strombecker shell in the flesh but it looks good in 'photos. It would be nice to see some up-to-date models of these cars.......
TED...

HPSCC..Scale racing in the Merseyside area.......

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks all, quite interesting

i have a strombecker 1/32 mercedes 154 on its way and will post some pics of it when it arrives so we can compare

regards, Ron

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
interesting too that other than the head, the molded in torso on the mrrc version seems to be the same driver body as seen in the strombecker midget too possibly??

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I raced both types in the 1960's the Airfix W125 with M.R.R.C 5 pole in it and the W154 which was M.R.R.C with a 4WD 6 pole motor i think at that timeM.R.R.C were still a seperate company i presume the strombecker which came out later is from an old mould Keith.

·
Administrator
9,792 Posts
I do have both so will try to post pix... thanks Chris, didn't see the little mrrc after the airfix... (it was late last night, I had had a beer, etc, etc.)

In fact, the date of MRRC's acquisition by Airfix is not all that clear: in my research I had narrowed it down to 1964, without it being definitive, but the guy who has written several books on Airfix gave 1962 - and when I asked him where he had found that info, he stopped corresponding with me!

They're pretty disctinct at the beginning, but it seems some cars, like the slim-line range, are more of a mix of the two technologies. Still, basically everything club oriented was MRRC and the home-set crowd was Airfix.

Don

·
Phil Smith
2,626 Posts
QUOTE is the 1/32 strombecker body shell for the mercedes 154 the same as used on the airfix mrrc version??

Who knows, they are certainly extremely similar in the same way that a PinKar Bugatti and a Scalextric Bugatti are (and the auto Union and Austin Healey) , so maybe someone copied someone else, but I know there are differences as I have checked them out in the past.
I don't have a Strombecker one here to compare or show at the moment.

The W125 and Auto Union were Airfix cars and not made by MRRC

·
Registered
361 Posts
QUOTE (dgersh @ 4 Sep 2012, 11:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I do have both so will try to post pix... thanks Chris, didn't see the little mrrc after the airfix... (it was late last night, I had had a beer, etc, etc.)

In fact, the date of MRRC's acquisition by Airfix is not all that clear: in my research I had narrowed it down to 1964, without it being definitive, but the guy who has written several books on Airfix gave 1962 - and when I asked him where he had found that info, he stopped corresponding with me!

They're pretty disctinct at the beginning, but it seems some cars, like the slim-line range, are more of a mix of the two technologies. Still, basically everything club oriented was MRRC and the home-set crowd was Airfix.

Don

Trying to list the Airfix MRRC and Airfix ranges can be quite a mess. BRM F1 was clearly Airfix MRRC at first, but the body became a part of the Airfix Hi-Speed home set range around 1969. The Aston Martin body was apparently based on the Airfix static kit but it was only issued as Airfix MRRC Clubman Slimline and Ballrace. Later, in the 70's with a can motor? Etc.

One thing has been bothering me: The Ford 3 litre and Matra Ford were introduced in the Hi Speed range & Airfix MRRC Clubman Slimline shortly before Airfix lost interest & stopped advertising slot cars. I have no idea if they were ever sold as ballrace versions?

·
Phil Smith
2,626 Posts
QUOTE The Ford 3 litre and Matra Ford were introduced in the Hi Speed range & Airfix MRRC Clubman Slimline shortly before Airfix lost interest & stopped advertising slot cars. I have no idea if they were ever sold as ballrace versions?

Never seen them as Ballrace versions.

One thing, the heading for this topic is of course wrong as the Mercedes was a MRRC car not Airfix.

Out of the 1/32 Airfix/MRRC range only the Mercedes, Indy Novi and Felday were MRRC, all the rest were Airfix.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up Guys.

I have a Matra in ballrace mode.

It is currently stripped for repaint and detailing.

Strangely, it has the wider rear track of the Honda and Eagle, but the narrower front of the BRM !!??.

Wheel inserts are same as those on the Felday Ford !!, so not simply an Eagle/BRM transplant.

There are no signs whatsoever of being "cobbled together", it looks original.

vbr Chris A.

·
redstar
1,601 Posts
Hi guys,the 2 bodies are not the same,but they are close. Heres some photos you can see several differences.The MRRC is the silver one and the other is Strombecker. Thanks,Bernard

·
Alan Tadd
4,035 Posts
What about the BUM slot version is it a Clone of either MRRC or Airfix or Strombecker or one of Mac Pinches old cast off's...

Regards

Alan

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
hi guys
interesting topic
just some comments ,don i would say that the mrrc merger with airfix certainly wasn,t 1962 ,more likely to have been 1964 ,but may have been later
you should be able to oin it in model cars magazines ,might have a look myself tonight
you might imagine that if both firms with as much clout as strombecker ,and mrrc decided to make a scale model of the same car ,they would look pretty similar ,however we all know that in real life its not like that
While it is apparent from bernards piccys that the shells are not the same ,they are a little different ,not much .
As i understand it the laws of copyright on mouldings is that if you "lift" someone elses handy work ,it is illegal if your moulding fits into the mould of the originator
Now it is quite easy to see that the modifications would not be very great to stop and injection moulding to not fit in the original mould , so it might well have been a copy that was modded enough so that it didn,t fit .

cheers tony

1 - 20 of 48 Posts