SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, again

i have finished the two models a few months ago, but i would like to show you these famous german cars
although i have published them already in the -german forum -. but i think i could do it here once more. ( i hope so......)
the silver painted gullwing is the le mans version from 1956 / metternich einsiedel, based on the french -bsr-resine kit,
the red one is the road car based on a -hasegawa/tomy plastic model kit.
the chassis of both mercedes is based on a modified -fly- platform ( ferrari 250gto ); mechanic by -slot.it,
the lighting system (front) is as ever -overdrive-.

claus

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi choc-ice,

@ all: thanks for compliments !
@ choc-ice: the front-motor position is compared to the -classic- solution ( inliner/sidewinder at the rear in middle ) a disadvantage. no doubt.
but i prefer to cruise with them at my wooden track and -high speed results- are not my first interest.
the models are equipped with soft compound tires.
handling and speed are no problem up to a certain moment when they began to drift slowly. this point it is controllable very well.
i have other cars with that motor positions ( aston martin db4 gtz, ferrari 250 swb ....) in my -garage- and it makes a lot of fun to see them running
against each other.

claus

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (-claus- @ 30 May 2011, 17:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi choc-ice,

@ all: thanks for compliments !
@ choc-ice: the front-motor position is compared to the -classic- solution ( inliner/sidewinder at the rear in middle ) a disadvantage. no doubt.
but i prefer to cruise with them at my wooden track and -high speed results- are not my first interest.
the models are equipped with soft compound tires.
handling and speed are no problem up to a certain moment when they began to drift slowly. this point it is controllable very well.
i have other cars with that motor positions ( aston martin db4 gtz, ferrari 250 swb ....) in my -garage- and it makes a lot of fun to see them running
against each other.

claus
Nice work incede, Claus.
Why don't you post some pics of your 250 SWB and Aston Dp214, I'm trying to build these cars as you did for the gullwing, a full detailed cockpit and a motor in the same position of the real CAR.
Your pics or suggestions will be precious!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hello corsair,

with pleasure i will show some pictures of the models i mentioned in my informations before.
you can see that the motor position is more or less similar the original car in the front; may be it´s a spleen of my but............
this way you can get space to build a tridimensional cockpit.

the aston martin dp 214 le mans 1963. based on that wunderful kit done by -gp.miniatures-

the ferraris 250 gt swb le mans 1960/61 based on the proto-slot-kits

i hope the pictures contain some helpful suggestions....................

claus

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Hi Claus,

Those cars are sweet mate! The Ferrari 250 SWB's are absoloutly stunning anyway and your car captures that spirit. The blue/white car in the background of the final picture, is that based on the Rob Walker/Stirling Moss Goodwood 1961 car?

What do you use for the seatbelts by the way?

Regards
Jon

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi jon,

i don`t know well the history of that dark blue painted -ferrari-, which was driven by s.moss/g.hill , # 18 in le mans 1961.
but your assumption could be correct that it was the same car used at goodwood in 1961. i think so.
the seatbelts are made of fine stripes from black paper, matt finish surface.

regards

claus

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great jobs indeed, Claus.
Thank you for the pics, they were very precious to' me.
I saw you used the fly GTO's chassis for all' your cars, didn't you? But,
How did you made the aston db214's cockpit?

·
Registered
417 Posts
hello corsair,

often i use for those cars like the aston or the mercedes chassis of the -fly- -ferrari 250 gto -.
for all the -ferraris 250 gt swb- i take as -base- the -jaguar e-type- chassis from -revell -.
all chassis whether -fly- or -revell- must be modified in some points.
to work with the -fly-chassis is sometimes not so easy, because the front axle position has two
single wheel suspensions. to handle this construction is from my point of view much more complicated
than a end to end axle. if you have a look again at the first picture of the -mercedes- you can recognize that
one chassis has a end to end front axle (silver gullwing) the other is equipped by the original-fly- single suspension;
therefore a differnce of ca. 5 mm ( towards rear ) in motor position is the result between the silver and the red car.

for the tridimensional cockpits i also use parts of the -fly- ferrari 250 gto-. ( i consider the f250gto as a spare part magazine........)
to trim this -sparepart- i do many modifications to fit in the new body, one of them and the most important one is to use
the dashboard insert (resine material) which is always part of the kit.

regards

claus

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Claus, I noticed the difference Of the front axle on the two gullwing. did you used two different motors or what?
I had never thought Of the revell's jag E chassis for the SWB... It is an excellent council. Thanks Claus and Congratulations again. Don't forget to' post your NeXT achievements, expecially slot Front engine

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hello again,

@ corsair: to answer your question i have to do some remarks first.
the bodies of the two gullwings are identic in proportion, size and wheeelbase. ( not in material )
as well the hinge (rotation axle) of the pic-up and the motor/- motormount.
if you need a maximum lenght for a tridimensional cockpit insert/volume
- and do not want to convert any proportion - you came up for a front wheel solution
as the -fly- chassis showes. (two seperate wheel suspension bearings lateral the motor-/motormount)
if you want to use a end to end axle instead of two single axle pieces you have to adjust backwards
- in direction rear- the motor-/motormount. this is the only way to realise space for the
end to end front wheel axle. but you reduce lenght usable for the cockpit construction.
( otherwise you have to thrill the mabuchi motor.........??
) in that case the differnce between the solutions is about 5mm.

@ balsawork: the -hasegawa/tomy- plastic kit i bought contained two packages of that wonderful chrome detail pieces
and another for all screens necessary. what fortune !!!

so i decided to built up two models. the red one based on the plastic kit; for the silver gullwing i used
the body from the -bsr-kit together with the double detail parts. that´s the reason why the two mercedes nearly look alike in finish.

regards

claus

1 - 20 of 22 Posts