SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Gary Skipp
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think the CLR would make the perfect slot car for racing?

Think about it, its ridiculously low, its phenomonoly wide, and its silver. Easy to mark for lanes then

I tried (and hoplessly failed) to scrathbuild a body, and chassis, but it never got too far.

But if Slot.It or perhaps ProSlot made one one, do you think it'd be good?

This is a 1/32 profile of the CLR.

Thats slightly scaled down on screen, but if you print it it'll be exact.

I think it'd be grand. What about you?

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Given the car's rather embarrassing track record I think Mercedes will not allow a license. As far as I know there is not even a diecast of that car.

If you do run a scratch-build just watch out when following a Toyota GT-One over humps!

·
Gary Skipp
6,506 Posts
After doing some research, I found quite a few die-casts, and even a 1/32 'wing car' However, these never resemble their 1:1 counterparts, so it natually it looks ridiculous.

Good point about not giving licesing, I never thought of that.

I'll try and get one vac-formed by someone if i give them a mould. Whad'ya say Graham?

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
I never could tell the CLK and the CLR apart. Here are pictures of my "Ninco" CLK (posted previously). I built this a few years ago for a proxy race held for magnet traction "plastic chassis".

The chassis uses a TSRF32 centre section coupled to a Slot.it Audi R8C outer section:-

Kind regards

Russell

·
Gary Skipp
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Make do? I never make do! Lol.

I was looking at a clk, but it just doesnt have the x-factor.

Cheers for that Graham, I'll talk via PM about what exactly you need.

·
Gary Skipp
6,506 Posts
By the way, some comparrison photos between the CLK and CLR:

CLR

CLK

You'll notice the much sleeker shape of the CLR, being as flat and close to the ground as possible. The CLK is much more like a flat platform near the top of the wheels.

Hope that helps Russell

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Thanks for that, Gary!

Here's the infamous picture of the CLR launching at Le Mans:-

Kind regards

Russell

·
Gary Skipp
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now heres a bit of info for you regarding the flips:

That picture is from the practice session just before mulsanne corner. Car 4 never made it to the race.

During the race, it was the turn of Car 5 to take off on the way down to indianapolis (from mulsanne corner). With unbeleivable luck, it finished up in the trees, in the only bit of de-forsted land of the whole circuit. As in, there were no trees where the car landed. Just about.

Subsequently car 6 was withdrawn, allthough you'd think they'd do something after the first one crashed huh?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I presume these flips were something to do with the ground effect suddenly ceasing to work? was there any explanation of why or what happened? And will they be building this feature into road mercs to aid overtaking on busy parts of motorway?

·
Registered
209 Posts
If my memory serves me right, did not Scalextric make the CLR a few years ago? I know I have at least 3 of Ninco CLK's and the Scalextric car was significantly different but I never actually bought one so I can't say for certain if it was the CLR.

Personally though I preferred the CLK anyway...

Just had a quick search on the net and it appears Scalextric DID make the CLR...

·
Registered
543 Posts
lets not forget what happened to Michele Alboreto.
open cockpit Audi.
flat rear tire. which raised the left fron coener perhaps three inches. and flipped the car.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hmm... I had a look on the Pendle site and the car I am thinking of IS marked as the CLK on the base.... but it still looks nothing like the Ninco one!!!

The rad inlet ducts are on either side of the 'A' pillar on the Scalextric one similar to the CLR, but on the Ninco one these are absent a la CLK...

Confused... I am...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts