SlotForum banner

Mercedes Sauber 1989 Lemans

10K views 96 replies 13 participants last post by  tangerinedream 
#1 ·
Well, not much for now, but the idea is to paint the Mercedes Sauber Team that raced at Lemans in 1989, using Slot it white kits and Atalaya decals.

So first first, sand and clean all the body and then it will be ready for some primer.

Cheers

See less See more
#3 ·
GD Slot -

I cheated with Porsche Group C Team effort. As I posted in new cars 2021 string.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Car no.3 is latest release, which is following the same set up as the other 2 cars and is looking good. [77g]
Car No.2 was originally a white kit painted plain gold. This car is a front runner at Wood Green, London. [81g]
Car No.1 was also originally a white kit painted silver. This car was 98% of car no.2 at the track. [80g]

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Computer keyboard

Since I had 2 good cars among the front runners I decided to make a proper team of it.

Car no.2 was bought as a complete car on eBay. I then changed my white kit chassis to the livery shell. Used all the left overs to put together a compete car, same set up and sold it.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Car No.1 is the silver painted chassis, the No1. livery body was bought of eBay as just shell/body but came with Rothmans (not Racing) livery, it came all the way from Australia to the UK. I put together another full car and sold that off with the silver shell.

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

As Slot It announced no.3 car i put my order in, approx a year later it arrived last month! I had to have it to make my own "complete set". I normally keep 2 cars for club racing. Development continues by "leap-frogging" stronger car races, other is back up and then worked on until it betters the race car. Then that car races while weaker car is worked on further and it goes on..

I really like this Porsche Group C and it enjoyed a great deal of success in this series. The Rothmans livery is the pick of the bunch being full factory backed team effort.

Automotive design Guitar accessory Peripheral Gadget Audio equipment

If i was selecting a model to race in Group C then the Mercedes would be ahead of the Porsche model. It doesn't have the rear over hang like the Porsche model, looks a fraction wider and lower. One of the Jaguar models would be close choice too on the same basis. The Porsche Group C is more of an emotional choice and even with the higher rear wing on car no.2 it's still winning races!

Our Group C allows slot it 21k or 23k motors only, re-geraing, 15 to 17 wheels (no air rims), lead ballast, lightweight interiors. Wood Green London allows a lot of changes in all it's classes, this is the closest we race to box stock.

Electronic instrument Electronic component Audio equipment Computer hardware Gadget

Keep posting pictures on progress but also us know about set-up if you race at a club and what if any changes you can make.

Max

#10 ·
Yes its quite hot, around 30-33 Celsius, usually urethane is ready in one or two days, normal paint like Tamiya in a couple of hours... Plus Im always in a hurry when modeling (I know I know, rushing is never good, but cant help it) 😬

'Fact most probably I will applying the decals in the afternoon...

#13 ·
#20 ·
Well the Lemans MB Sauber will be delayed a bit, as wife doesnt want me to go to the track and slot garage in a while hehehe.

Have some Pipers cars in Nsr, but Im not sure which ones I have, will checkout later.

Fly did some awesome cars, I like them.

Cheers

#29 ·
Yes, Daniel. The shots are from an old photo album that turned up in a dark corner recently. Le Mans, 1989, was a great event. The weather was oppressively warm, but I enjoyed it greatly because the Mercs ran like clockwork throughout, and the Joest 962 driven by Stuck/Wollek finished in a most impressive third overall.

Group C worked well. It wasn't broken, so it 'had' to be fixed.

And what have we had since? Walt Disney couldn't have made it up.

#35 ·
Maybe the dread Camel should change his diet of VW Bugs to Lexan/Vacuformed bodies😉

I havent had the time to continue with the project (plus I have an accident with one of the MB 🤦‍♂️, which I fixed the best I could), but with some luck this weekend will apply the final spray of clear.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.