Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked to stop by my friendly neighborhood Ford exporter today. Seems a couple of Mercury Marauders came in to be shipped to Jeddah (in the Middle East somewhere) soon. These cars were a little different from your average model, these two were sporting positive displacement superchargers
You betcha, Eaton type blowers on a four door sedan
The motors were pretty much upgraded to Cobra Mustang engines except the blocks were still aluminum.

I didn't take pictures of these cars as I don't really think I'm supposed to be on the lot
but this gentleman has the same setup on his car. The only differences between this gentlemans car and the two headed for Jeddah are the valve covers are silver and Ford is warranting them
Somebody either pulled some strings or threw down some big bucks for that.

July 19th another car that I may be interested is scheduled to arrive. Well, perhaps more than one, something along the lines of 100. You ever hear of the Ford GT?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The first GT car showed up yesterday. I wasn't allowed near the place though. No idea why not, I was wearing my helmet and light weight shoes

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
now the GT is a nice car.

The styling of most american cars (that mercury and a pontiac GTO) these days I find baffling - they look very mundane to me

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not what one would call a big fan of many modern automobile designs either. On those rare occasions I need to get a replacement car I just look for set parameters and go from there. For instance, this last car I bought needed to be rear wheel drive, two door, V8 engine and upgradable. Oh, and it couldn't be a truck. If you look at American cars available today you'll see that I narrowed down the field dramatically with those parameters.

Eons ago I use to include styling in the equation. I gave up on that

·
Registered
800 Posts
would rather have a german barge as opposed to one of those

Instead of which car? The 450 hp Marauder or the 500 hp GT?

Both sport full power accessories including air conditioning and both are fully computer controlled. The GT uses two injectors per cylinder for the first 50 miles or so then switches back to single injectors per cylinder. Both cars also make over 400 pounds feet of torque off idle.

The Marauder probably only runs low to mid 13s in the quarter mile but it's a family car so you expect that. The GT does high 11s out of the box. I don't know the GTs gas mileage but the Marauder pulls down about 21 mpg average with highway getting a bit better.

I think the AMG models can hang with these cars. The BMWs can't, at least the US versions I've seen can't. I still need to come across an M5, if they still make them, to see what it can really do.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
the old shape M5 wont keep with em but the V10 500bhp one will

then again there's always skylines, evo's cossie's and impreza's over here too

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Inte likes forced induction via turbos. I like naturally aspirated, with forced induction via SUPERCHARGER the only option

Give me a large displacement V8 any day!

Mark.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Turbos are the best way to go but getting them into cramped engine compartments is a bit of a problem. Plus there is all the trouble of sizing them correctly for least lag, most boost. Add to that the higher underhood temperatures and you end up quite limited on what can be turbocharged. Oh, neglected to add the additional plumbing needed to intercool the intake charge, major headache on most cars there. MAJOR headache.

Positive displacement superchargers simplify these problems a bit plus have the added benefit of being extremely streetable with gobs of torque right off idle. You can't see it in the pictures but these Eaton superchargers are mounted on intercooled intake manifolds. Since the motors used in both cars are the Ford Modular motor with its DOHCs there is a lot of space under the intake manifold. This space on NA cars houses a plenum to minimize intake turbulance but on supercharged engines this space is occupied by an air/water intercooler. In front of the radiator towards the bottom is the seperate radiator for the intercooler. Nice tight package.

My daily driver (the geezer mobile) happens to use the same Modular Ford engine. It will be receiving a similar set up eventually. I couldn't go the turbo route because of space constraints. As to additional displacement, you lose fuel economy and handling. I'm trying to learn to downsize. This is the first time I've ever owned a car with less than 5.7L (which is considered average here). Some of our older street cars that we campaigned used from 7L up to 8L engines. 5 miles per gallon and enough torque to twist your car in half. By bolting on a supercharger we are getting the big block power out of a small block engine.

One of the old V6 cars a friend had used a larger size turbo. It ran with the big dogs but needed 17 psi to do it. Then there is Scott with his 348 cubic inch stroker Mustang. A 90mm turbo, if I remember correctly, with a huge air/water intercooler pushes his car to 7.20s in the 1/[email protected]+ mph. It is a surprisingly quiet and drivable car. I think he limits himself to 25 psi boost.

Cripes, there I go again. Never get me talking about cars. They are my number one vice. Just ask the Maryland State Police department

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Preproduction prototype being used as a tie down instructor vehicle. Car has 13K miles on it and is street legal. Being that it is preproduction it has the 4.6L engine and has been thrashed. Unfortunately I was not the one to thrash it. When these are actually shipped they will have been hand washed and pushed everywhere. No port jockeys allowed near them at this point in time.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
As a kid, in the Far East, where American cars were popular in the 50's while virtually unheard of in UK, the Mercury name always impressed considerably more than plain old mundane Ford. But on visiting the site and seeing models named Mariner and Montego, my higher class perception has suddenly disappeared!
Perhaps only British readers will understand why, when I mention the makes of Austin and Morris!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here in the US Mercury is almost a forgotten make
When people remember it's there they think of mature peoples cars. Nothing exciting, nothing flashy, just plain old full size cars. They make a large assortment of rebadged cars but the full size ones are more likely to be thought of. Kind of like Lincoln except when you think of a Lincoln you think of a huge geezer mobile driven by an incredibly old geezer

That's why the Marauder is a bit special. It's still a full size mature persons car but it sports an all aluminum 4.6L DOHC engine, console shifted automatic trans, bucket seats and 18" wheels. Then the ones brought to my attention at a Ford facility showed up with Eaton superchargers and a Ford warranty
Nice stuff. We're talking 450 hp on tap running on plain old pump gas easily passing emissions and getting decent mileage (22 mpg avg.) as long as you don't drive it too aggressively.

The GTs are slowly being released. I was hoping to get a couple of pictures of a row of 40 or so of these cars together but I don't think it's going to happen. I'm still hoping for a group shot but it's looking like a smaller group. When I can I will get a boat load of pictures of one of these cars. My camera isn't very good and I'm no photographer but with a 256m chip in the camera and a possiblity of over 400 pictures during one shoot I figure at least SOME of the pictures ought to be OK. The law of averages and all that you know

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I'm waiting for someone to build a V8 with a super and turbo charger

it's been done before but only on 4 cyl engines, The most famous the Delta S4 and in recent years a Ford Ka has used the new Zetec 1.8 engine with both strapped on but the best has to be the mk1 XR2 with a 1.9 ZVH conversion with both strapped on, it will do quarter mile in 13.something seconds and for a small fwd hatch it aint bad lol.

Inte

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Still doing my slightly lateral thinking act as usual - apologies!
QUOTE getting decent mileage (22 mpg avg.)
That's a US gallon, 5/6 of a fat, Brit Imperial gallon, which transforms to a UK figure of around 26 mpg - quite impressive for the power and size!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh yeah, I forgot you guys use different gallon sizes. There is always something to skew perception and hinder comprehension

The only car I've ever seen with a roots type blower and twin turbos feeding it was built way back in the early '80s. It ran but was primarily a show car, in my opinion. It was at least 5.7L and maybe was bigger. That was too long ago for me to remember.

In the US they call superchargers, nitrous oxide and other similar things 'power adders'. This is probably one of those politically correct things
Anyway, it is currently very popular among the not quite legal race folks to use two power adders. So when you see a video of a 2003 Mustang Cobra lifting the front wheels and carrying them down the track you're probably seeing a vehicle with an updated supercharger (Kenne Bell or Whipple) and a healthy dose of nitrous oxide. The Buick Grand National crowd uses single or twin turbo setups with a shot of nitrous too. Some cars, usually salt flat cars (top end runners), don't spray the nitrous in the motor, they spray it on the intercooler instead.

Using nitrous with a supercharger makes more sense than to use two superchargers. This is because when you compress air you get heat. Hot air doesn't make as much power as cold air so compressing it twice isn't really a good idea. Nitrous can drop air inlet temperatures 60-75 degrees fahrenheit when injected plus supply additional oxygen the engine can use so this is a better deal. The only problem being that the bottle needs refilling all too often.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sheesh, Ford is dragging butt on this one. The GTs haven't shown up yet. I wonder how many customers are complaining? I know I've already complained and I'm not getting one

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
I seem to live on "dealer's row"...
GM dealer across from me has C5 Corvette with apparent mods from next model.... and Ford dealer 2 doors down has a new Marauder, (he just refers to it as "blown"), it's not a small car!..... wish I could take Peter's (GM guy) offer of GTO with custom body package and engine kit at cost, with trade-in for my year-old car at full new price!
Sponsors, anyone?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I live in an odd area myself. And not just because I live here

When the Mustang Cobra R models came out there were several of them being used as daily drivers here. Back when the Buick GNX came out I saw an old woman driving one as a daily driver. There will be a Ford GT here shortly, but I was told rather firmly I won't be allowed near it
Many moons ago Chrysler came out with Hemi Cudas, several were driven here for ages. One of my friends has a '69 440 Cuda. That doesn't sound like anything until you realise the 440 Cuda wasn't released until '70 on a different platform. There were only 25 of those cars made and TWO of them are here

I don't even keep track of 'them furrin cars'. Ferraris, Lambos and junk like that pop up all the time. I think I've seen every BMW M car made on the street here at one time or another (of course, someone had to point out to me it was an M car or I'd never have known).

Even weirder still is that I am blue collar and reside in a blue collar area. This isn't LA or Kennebunkport, this is a suburban community. Most of those cars cost way more than the houses here.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here it is, months later and the cars are finally starting to show up.

Today I popped down and took a look at a production GT headed out of the country (USA). Previously I've only been allowed near the prototypes and then only under strict supervision, two guards on me at all times
This car is actually going to a person. A very fortunate person that can afford one.

This car was silver with black stripes. It looks strikingly like the preproduction prototypes I drooled over earlier only this car is much cleaner and more refined looking. Apparently I'm not the only one interested in seeing these things up close as this one is locked in a special room. I was still watched the whole time but I was allowed to touch it this time. You see, they hid the keys someplace else in the facility and disabled the ignition 'just in case'. They also put tamper proof stickers all over the car to show if any doors etc were opened. The thing that kept the car in the building was the lock on the garage door, I couldn't figure a way to crack it quickly and unobtrusively while under surveillance. I got the rest worked out, it's just that electric door being locked and even when it's unlocked it opens too slow.

The entire underside of the car is one big flat belly pan. The rear air management is just like the big boys use. The soon to be owner of this car got a few options to round the car out. (All numbers in rounded off USD) Upgraded stereo $6K, upgraded wheels $5K, upgraded brakes $1K, painted on stripe $6K and some other stuff that slips my mind. Base sticker price is now over $180K and this car including options was $220K. You still have to pay shipping, taxes, title and tags.

I don't think I'll be able to buy one anytime soon.

There are supposed to be more showing up shortly so I'll take a camera next time. You'll see the critters all packed up for shipping overseas. I couldn't take a camera this time because mine died suddenly over the weekend. The new camera is here now, several hours AFTER I left the facility

Maybe if I hit the door with more voltage it'll open faster. It's only got to work once...

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I think the best way to use a combination supercharger / turbocharger is to apply them to a high rpm (wide rpm range) motor. size the supercharger for lower end, and the turbo to add gobs of pressure at the higher end. With a smooth transition between the two there would be no lag and all the power you want. And yeah, an intercooler would be nice..maybe with a rotary motor.

John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts