Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a little confused about that being a duffer, the article I found states that they were Formula Jr cars but I was under the impression those were open-wheeled racers. Maybe someone in the know can enlighten us both

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
The Merlyn MK6 was a 2-seater sports racer and was designed to compete against the very successful Lotus 23 in USRRC and SCCA races in the United States, Only it never had the success of the Lotuses. It simply did not handle as well and had a lesser top speed using the same engine. The few MK6s sold in the USA never really gathered that great of a racing record.
In today's vintage racing, both the Lotus and the Merlyn have been developed and are now much, much faster and handle much, much better than they did in Jim Clark's days, and are truly FAST, able to compete with many much more modern machines.
The car for sale is actually quite a nice one, and I personally raced against it with my Brabham BT8 and can assure you that it is now well developed.
The asking price is now a fraction of the ridiculous amount asked for real "23s". In today's crazy prices, it is a bargain!
Please note that in the picture you posted, the exhaust system looks nowhere near the original that was much more conventional, and due to the need to fit large silencer in the current atmosphere of more quiet racing cars.

In the same page is advertised a Maserati T60 "ex-Briggs Cunningham" that is a complete fake and the subject of lots of ruckus and protest at this time for much misrepresentation. This fake is a beautiful recreation of a car completely destroyed in 1961 by Augie Pabst, of which remains were scrapped.
The claims are unreal, that the car was "restored" from its "surviving starter button and tail lights". WHAT???
Amazing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts