SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I've just got some NSR metal axle spacers. With the old plastic ones I just cut them and twisted them over the axle. What can I do with these, do I need to remove the wheels and if so how - brute force (mainly modern Scalextric cars)?

Cheers
Chris

· Registered
2,902 Posts
Thanks guys. A couple of clarifications please:
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 21 Dec 2011, 00:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you want a little more purchase of the wheel on the axle you could consider pinching the very end of the axle with the wire cutting bit of standard pliers. Just enough to mark the metal. Go steady with older Scalextric models as the axles are quite soft and you can cut very deep if you apply too much force. This won't work with hardened axles but works well with most standard axles. I tend to pinch twice at each end at right angles.
Is that with the plier grooves perpendicular or parallel to the axle?

QUOTE (tedm @ 21 Dec 2011, 00:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You do need to remove the wheels-then the spacers should just slip on. Metal spacers are really for use with set-screw wheels I would say. Personally, I prefer to use stoppers if there is room on the axle. This allows you to place the wheel exactly where you want on the axle.
Stoppers??

QUOTE (mrrc65 @ 21 Dec 2011, 00:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Newer Scalextric have knurled axles, im not sure NSR spacers go over the knurled area. Why not just use plastic tubing?
I have used lolly pop sticks but it was difficult to get a smooth finish. Do you have a particular type of tubing in mind?

QUOTE (conti_rowland @ 21 Dec 2011, 07:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Best to replace the axle and the crown with another brand.
I imagine that is the best option (especially for competition) but part of the challenge for me is to get the best out of the car as-is (sans magnet) by tweaking it and only changing the tyres. Otherwise I probably would sell the house and go straight for the premium brands of cars.

· Registered
2,902 Posts
An interesting selection of views. At £2 I can live with abandoning the metal spacers.

I must say though I guess the movement on some of the cars is more than 0.5mm especially on my Aston DB9 and Sunoco Camaro. Putting urethanes tyres on has certainly accentuated the clicking as they have much better grip on corners. However, I haven't properly compared before & after and I have to admit I didn't notice a measurable difference in performance when I put plastic spacers on them - maybe it's more a psychological problem as the clicking just makes them sound bad & cheap I suppose.

Anyway, just to broaden the subject a bit, nobody's mentioned super glue to fill the gap - anyone recommend this?

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.