SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Circuit Owner
5,961 Posts
!!!

I would take the wheels off mate - even for the plastic spacers.

With plastic wheels it is the application of brute force but carefully applied. Grip both wheels (making sure the two wheels in question are, in fact, connected to the SAME axle). Twist the wheels in the opposite direction to each other whilst pulling them directly away from each other. The plastic wheels should come off quite easily. If they have been glued onto the axles then it will require a little more effort.

Fit the spacers - being very careful not to accidentally cut the metal ones. Refit the plastic wheels with a straight push. If the wheels rotate on the axle without the axle rotating you will need to take the wheel back off and apply superglue (CA glue) to the end of the axle and refit the wheel with a straight push. Close your eyes just in case the superglue spurts out under pressure as air is forced out of the wheel cavity.

If you want a little more purchase of the wheel on the axle you could consider pinching the very end of the axle with the wire cutting bit of standard pliers. Just enough to mark the metal. Go steady with older Scalextric models as the axles are quite soft and you can cut very deep if you apply too much force. This won't work with hardened axles but works well with most standard axles. I tend to pinch twice at each end at right angles.

Have fun

· Circuit Owner
5,961 Posts
Pinch so that the mark is at right angles to the axle. In other words the pliers are pointing the same way as the car's direction of travel. The aim is to make the axle splay slightly (the mark isn't the aim - the mark simply means some metal has been displaced to make the axle ever so slightly wider. I suggest two pinches (one is a quarter turn around the axle from the other) so the axle is distorted symmetrically (!). If you do use glue then the marks should also help it get a grip on the axle.

If the axle is knurled then the plier trick is obviously redundant - just go with glue.

With regard to the poster who said he had cracked a few hubs pulling wheels off knurled axles - it's not a problem I have encountered and I have pulled wheels off over 40 different Scalextric cars in the last few months. ALL with knurled axles. But this is why I suggest a rotational action on the wheel with a straight pull in line with the axle - it minimises the risk of a crack.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.