SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried shaping metal bodies?

I made a few cars in the past from bean cans, and for simple curves (I.e. non-compound) it works well as it can be easily soldered, cut, bent. It is light weight and strong too, and you can easily use it for a monocoque construction.

Here is one I prepared earlier (50 years earlier). Its the Alexis Clubman's car of Malcom Jackson.

Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Electrical wiring Electric blue

The other cars were US super-modifieds for dirt ovals.

I tried beating the metal over a former to form a Bugatti rear end but it proved too difficult (for me). After lots of beating and tempering the metal became too thin and brittle so I gave up.

Cheers,

Keith

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm fairly sure that I don't have any other photo's as I was young and impecunious then, and colour film was very expensive. I only took a few photo's occasionally.

However . . . .I think that I still have the original body in a box somewhere with all the other dead slot car bits that accumulate over the decades. It would be an interesting project to resurrect it. It was K's Mk I or II powered with all the performance that gave (not!), and I have the dismantled bits of those too I think, so it's not an impossible task.

I have no idea what effect the metal body had when in close proximity to the motor magnetic fields, but I'll bet it was detrimental.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts