Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so far I have been using a nice Chrome enamel paint which gives reasonably good results for Chrome trim, but couldn't resist giving the bright metal foil a try just to see how it handles.

Seems easy enough to apply, however, not that durable. Has anyone got any experience after it has been clear coated over ? Better or worse than the paint ?
( ignoring aesthetic value of course ! )

Cheers

BIG"S"

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
If you mix the chrome with some gloss varnish as you apply it you may get a better result. Trial and error to get right. Once dry recoat the gloss varnish and it should last. You are undercoating the surface first ? It makes a big difference too if you haven`t washed the surfaces in soapy water . There are casting powders etc on any model part and these fight the paint.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Can I ask what brand of chrome paint you are using? I have tried many and have never found one that I like - they all seem to end up as a metallic grey.

I have used the foil with reasonable success on flat (stripes) and larger areas (bumpers) but find it is very fiddle on small parts like door handles and light surrounds as well as being reluctant to stick at times. Unfortunately the difference is very noticeable if combining paint and foil finishes

I normally paint over the foil part as it gives a slightly thicker coat and therefore more protection than a spray does.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts