SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Derek at slotcarchassis.com produces a small but growing range of CNC cut repacement chassis for 1/32 scale slot cars.

I ordered one for the Viper with all the trimings and this is what I came up with...

One Viper body with lights awaiting a good chassis...

Add Metal Chassis, race bearings all round (supplied),Little Ripper motor, Slot.It starter kit, Slot.It guide...

and you get an awesome race car! well balanced although I added 2 grams of weight to each side just in front of the rear wheels to keep it down on tight corners because those Slot.It P3 tyres have high grip.

A definate improvement over a similar Viper with original chassis and set up. I set this car up with the same components (without race bearings) on a plastic Fly chassis and it was prone to tip over alot more and was alot harder to find good balance.

Not the cheapest of solutions but considering these chassis are faultless and hand made I am more than happy.

Now if the one for the Monogram Cobra is as good

Overall, the slotcarchassis.com car was around 1.6 seconds per lap faster on Suzuka than the standard chassis car.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I installed all the running gear you can see above plus the 4 grams of weight (except the race bearings on the axles and prop shaft) in a Fly Viper plastic chassis and did some time trials with that body on.
Then I changed everything onto the metal chassis (NO magnet in either setup) and transferred the body onto it.

The fact I have uprated parts (motor Slot.It stuff etc) makes no odds as I used the same on both chassis.

The whole point was that with the metal chassis I got over a second faster times than with the Fly plastic one using the same parts.

Gearing is set to 10/26.

I think the time difference is a combination of the balanced chassis, race bearings and firmer tolerances of the whole setup.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
QUOTE I just tend to think that some of the advantage comes from added weight and much lower CG

But thats the whole point! evenly spread weight and lower Cof G of the chassis.
With the best will in the world adding weight to the plastic chassis will not get the Cof G as low.
That and the race bearings which make the whole thing smoother.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes but that is to create slight flex of the body against the chassis NOT to create flex in the chassis and running gear itself Pete.

Look to most performance chassis out there TSRF, Repro 60s /70s metal chassis, Plafit, Momo (different sclae but same principle) etc. The idea of the set up is to get the running gear and chassis as rigid as possible whilst maintaining slight movement of the body.

Compare it to the atrocious Ninco Pro Race suspension chassis idea - tons of lateral movement, side to side and front to back, of the rear axle due to the suspension springs resulting in terrible performance and excessive wear on running gear.

There are more examples of good/Bad but the general giist is above.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts