SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have often read, in this forum and elsewhere, that it is a good idea to glue the motor in place and to glue the tires to the wheels.

Is silicone sufficient for the motor? What glue do people use on the tires?

My first thought is that the glue should hold, but also allow for the moto and tires to be removed without too much hassle. I think that a dab of silicone will suffice for the motor... but the tires.

I'm loathe to use anything like a cyano-acrylic. Then, if the tires wear out the wheels have to go to. I can't picture how you would ever separate them once they were glued on with CA or Super-Glue.

Any advice or thoughts on this.

thanks,

Mike

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
Mmmmn! I've used evostick on one motor and all it does is degrade the chassis points as it melts to create fusion. It did an OK job, but I dismantled it the other day (after several weeks of use) to find the motor detached and my chassis nicely melted with ugly glue. Try to use a piece of balsawood on top of the motor and glued in place to jam it in place to the car's body. That way, when the motor is worn out you can bin it without having to fork out for a new chassis as well. with Ninco cars you can do this with something as daft as a strip of cardboard as the cockpit underside is only 1-2mm from the motor.

As far as tyres go, most do not need to be glued in place unless you are a serious speed freak and use massively powerful motors and loads of magnetic downforce. I have used CA glue on one set of poorly-fitting tyres. It does a good job and rips the old rubber off, rather than destroying your hubs. The rubber can be trimmed off with a sharp craft knife for renewed tyre fit. I'd rather do that than have evostuck 'melt' deforming the plastic hub. CA only has to be applied in very small doses to fix a rubber tyre...a small needle-tin run around one side of the hub centre rim applied with a tiny 2mm screwdriver (like the type that you use for spectacle screws) will hold a tyre in place for years.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I don't glue the motor, I strap it down. I use some kind of fibre glass tape that I attach to the outside of the chassis then run it into the chassis and then around the motor (non sticky side goes over the motor) and then again out and stick it back onto the chassis on the out side. Does this make sence?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (Screwneck @ 19 Oct 2004, 17:40)As far as tyres go, most do not need to be glued in place unless you are a serious speed freak and use massively powerful motors and loads of magnetic downforce. I have used CA glue on one set of poorly-fitting tyres. It does a good job and rips the old rubber off, rather than destroying your hubs.

Actually, I've had to use CA on stock motored cars too! A tip: Place car on track, hold up rear wheels and hit full throttle. You'll soon notice if the tyres lift off the rims.

I super glue the motors too.

Mark.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Same here... never had a problem getting them out as superglue is so brittle.

McLaren

PS. CA the tyres too, when they wear out, rip them off and you can salvage the hubs but revving the engine and sanding off the excess glue and rubber.

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
CA is what is use although of rims/tyres, but it does take that bit of extra effort to remove residual rubber off the rims if you want to replace them. I have used araldite, tape and CA glue with motors all to good effect - I use tape on my home or less torquey motors and glue with either araldite or CA if tape does not stop all movement.

Matt

·
Registered
82 Posts
What works for me on plastic & wooden track is:

hot glue for the motor
super-glue for the magnets
super glue / hot glue for lead - depending on how much space you have to work with.
super-glue for tyres onto rims.

I find the hot glue to absorb crash damage and vibration slightly better than super glue does.

To remove hot glued components, gently prise it off.
To remove super glued components, gently prise off, BUT for bearings, apply some heat (Bic lighter) to the axle ro loosen then gently prise them out.

Of late, I glue in the axle bearings last, since if you are not using fly grub screw or slot.it grub screw pieces, you risk breaking the bearing carriers off. Then you have to build it up again etc etc etc

T

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Hot glue and motors - a slightly dodgy combo as motors heat up and glue softens and motor wobbles. Happened in an endurance event to a club member and car came to a stand still down a long straight as the motor popped out.

If not happy with CA use araldite

Matt

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

I use a tiny dot of instant glue to pin down the motor. It is no fun to have a motor mount wear a little and the motor pop. Now, all motors Do not need this. Most inlines do, but I have never needed to glue a fly sidewinder.

Bushings: ditto.

Tires: I use clear silicone glue from hardware stores. A THIN smear, very thin. Let set for a couple hours and true the tire. All tires expand when you run. ALL. Initially, the fresh material would seem to not need it, but as you run the tire gets softer with material breakdown. Eventually, the car seems "greasy" when you drive. This is the tires fault. A good set of tires glued and trued will really improve the car. If using silicone, a properly glued and trued tire can give you decades.

Prof.Fate

1 - 10 of 10 Posts