SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Hi All,
I hope I'm not the only one that's really excited about Scalextric re-releasing the 6R4 this year. I just hope they do it justice this time!
I spent many wet weekends at Brands in the mid 80s watching brutal 6R4s and RS200s on the Rallycross circuit.
I'll dig out, scan in and post some old photos when I get a chance.

I found this story of the 6R4 on Youtube and thought it might help keep us primed and excited until release:

Cheers
Richard

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Great stuff Richard!

& whilst the Scaley 6R4 was the height of nafness, the Scaley MG Metro was quite a good model!
Cheers,
Kev

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right Kev, I know which one of these I want it to look most like:

I also came across this article on the development of the 6R4 on the fantastic AROnline:

AROnline - MG Metro 6R4

Cheers,
Richard

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And who would have thought these...

had anything common with these...

Cheers
Richard

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Enjoy the sights and sounds:...

(I think that's an R1 at 0:38)

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I remember this race well. The smell, the noises, the gritty taste, and that's just the bag of hot greasy donuts...

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I know we all slag off the Scaley Metro 6r4 but at the end of the day, its a remarkable likeness to the original test car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Does anyone know if the new 6R4 will be 4WD or just 2WD like Scaley's new RS200? (Which by the way goes pretty well with a sprung guide and weight added to the inside of the digital plug hatch).

By the way, in the 80's when I was 18 I bought a second hand MG Metro Turbo it seemed pretty dangerous with its 94BHP, I can't imagine driving something so small with 400BHP on gravel and snow!

I'm glad they are producing a new model, it will certainly go on my shopping list this year.

Here are a couple of videos of what I did with an original Scaley 6R4 (it started out as red so I had to paint it and make the decals too)
Scaley 6R4
Scaley 6R4

Regards,

Alan

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
QUOTE when I was 18 I bought a second hand MG Metro Turbo

I borrowed my sisters Metro GTA and scared myself witless! Whilst I desperately wanted a Mini Cooper, as a seventeen year old, too expensive both to purchase and insure. My first car was a Metro, in my mind it drove like a Mini, the worse memory, the bus driver steering wheel position!

A Taxi crashed into the rear whilst driving through a town centre, the rear was demolished! It made me think - if this happened at town centre speeds, what about 50mph? Since it was my first car, this damage was hastily repaired (botched) and any thoughts of accidents pushed firmly to the back of my mind.

I would like to see a Rally Cross livery, complete with rear brake lights in the back window!

James

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
My favourite Scaley Metro was the bag of chips one.
When it first came out I had to search weeks to find it! Pre internet days!
Got some lovely liveries of the MG, but in my opinion this was the best.
Cheers
Kev

I mean, come on, how did they manage to spoil such a pretty car?

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Yep I too had a red and a white metro mg turbo white one was great the first in red was a dog.
then move up to EFI 2lt maestro in green then alot later a had two mg zs great car stick to the road like glue .
now I got a chipped focus fast but has not got the handling as the mg. still got one of the mg in the garage xpower grey one cant bear to get rid.
will have to find some pic's of mg turbo.
ade.

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was gutted in the early 90s when my mum sold her mini and got a metro. It was a 1.3GS and although I tried to convince my chums it handled like a gokart in their minds the GS always stood for Good Shopper.

Speedyroadster, I like the Metro job you did there. I'd love to think the 2012 Scalextric 6R4 will be 4wd but on the strength of the rs200, I can't see it somehow.

Kev, I like the Chippy metro. What was the opening hatchback about though? For shopping? This one is my fav:

Cheers
Richard

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
QUOTE (richardtheforth @ 12 Jan 2012, 01:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Kev, I like the Chippy metro. What was the opening hatchback about though? For shopping?

When I started in this hobby 20 years ago, I used to hire the Home Farm track once a week for a race meeting with non-slotting mates and we had a class for these Metros. We'd fill the backs up with old Scalextric Oildrums and cones with the lugs broken off and as soon as the first car had crashed, rather than the normal shout of "Off!", the cry would go up "Look out! Shopping on the track!"

Sigh!

Great days.

With the front axle movement limited and the Johnson motor, they're quite a reasonable car. Not up to C7 Mini standards, but fairly close.

I've just chosen a class at Bolwextric for small saloons, and I intend to use a Metro on one of the nights. For nostalgia's sake.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Always loved the class B rally footage as all aspects are insane even the spectators. As MG fan the Metros always stood out to me and cant wait for scaleys attempt.

I would love them to make GTI model in white and black:

This is mine with a MG TF VVC 160 engine conversion with the lotus elise Mk1 map plus a hoast of other mods. She must be putting out about 185-190 bhp

Rob

1 - 20 of 37 Posts