SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been messing around for ages building a MGA Le Mans car using a Lindberg MGA as a donor, I bought one of the SCX cars after reading the varied reports on this forum. There are so many errors on the car, but the actual body shape seems pretty good.

This car aready has one mod. of course.

With a ready made chassis, driver figure, clear lights etc it is daft not to use this car as a basis.

I have several pictures of this car, but have only poor views of the screen arrangement and none of the dashboard.

Can any members please oblige?

Thanks, Peter.

·
Tore
1,692 Posts
QUOTE (PeterSussex @ 20 Sep 2011, 22:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...I bought one of the SCX cars after reading the varied reports on this forum. There are so many errors on the car, but the actual body shape seems pretty good...

I understand that the MGA and especially the "MBL" must be a holy subject for UK slotists, because these lovely little slotcars are constantly getting a bashing they really do not deserve.

IMHO SCX has brought us a very good slotcar version of the MGA in terms of body shape, scale and overall appearance. They look great and run great both with and without magnets, but lack or have a few errors in the detailing, especially toward the actual 1:1 livery subject of the red "MABEL" car.

But please, these are not die-cast's, this is a "value for money" slotcar in the lower end of the price range! Compared to the over-valued Ninco classics that look like caricatures on steroids, these new SCX MGA's are gems.

Sorry for venting out like this, and doing it in this post. But every time I read a thread on these I feel there is so much "nit-picking" that it overshadows what great fun little cars these actually are.

Have fun with it, I'm looking forward to see how your turns out.

Tore

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Hi Peter,

Are you looking for pictures of the Le Mans MGAs, or will any MGA do?

Regards,
Brad

ps Lovely wheels.

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brad, it is contemporary pictures of the Le Mans cars I am interested in.
The screen arrangement I believe was unique to these cars whilst I suspect the dash/facia is unikely to be standard. I know I have a picture of the dashboard somewhere but have not seen it for years....

Ron, thanks very much. The Elite details are on file and I'll get back to it one day!

Tor, the intention was not to 'bash' this model. It was to suggest that whilst it does have faults, particularly as you state, for the MBL rally car, the body is pretty good and will be perfect for this project. I would agree that as a toy it is a good car and very good value for money; I would happily pay a little more to buy a car made in Europe rather than China.

Peter.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Hi

I've got a few pics of the LM55 MGs - but none of the dashboard. Here's what I've got - some interesting details like painted bonnet straps, strange front inlet, tax disk!

Cheers

Andy

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the pictures Andy. The second one I have seen in an MGA book from the library, the others I think are all new.

The 3rd photo shows very clearly that the metal tonneau panel is flush fitting, contrary to some of the pictures I have seen of restored cars. Photo 2 seems to show that the screen was symmetrical, cut at an angle to the rear. Photo number 4 clearly shows that there was a central member running from front to rear, supporting the tonneau panel and providing the flange leading up to the screen, matching the doortop member?

Another car I would like to build (ex-Le Mans) is the prototype Twin Cam as raced at Dundrod. This was of course the official 'decider' between the Morris and Austin Twin Cam engines, though the Austin example never actually competed.

Peter.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Yes, I'd agree with your interpretation. I'm still confused about that panel at the front though - another spotlight that never was?

I've got a big interest in all the cars in that race - I'm modelling them all, but as 1/43 non-slot cars. I seem to recall that the steering wheel used had that strange spoke arrangement that was used on the MGA (but this may be a false memory!). Luckily for me, they all showed up as Bizarre models.

Andy

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would guess that the gauze covered inlet next to the radiator grille is a fresh air inlet. The standard MGA has a 4" hose running from the heater/fresh air unit to the radiator bulkhead, then another short hose runs from the bulkhead to the grille area. The Le Mans positioning of the driving light prevent this, so they probably just cut a hole in the front bodywork?

Peter.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Hi -please try this www.slotrace.dk / Formula One / Holger´s Formula One / Le Mans 1955

and then lokk for #41, 42 + 64.

/Holger

1 - 12 of 12 Posts