SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much badgering over several telephone calls to George Turner, I finally received one of my favourite racing cars from the 1930's.

Made for just two years the K3 racing body for 1934 took the then popular format of pointed tail with integral fuel tank. This is the car made by GTM.

This will be the perfect companion for the ERA, which was available in 1100cc form and was also introduced in 1934, though not really competitive until 1935.

The wheels would normally be the same colour as the car, so these ones won't be used.

A few deviations from originality have been made to make the model more practical. I'll probably build one car more or less as intended, a second will be somewhat modified.

The Turner model features the same form of chassis used on both the Talbot and Alfetta, made to accept the FF 050 slimline motor.

If the weather holds, I'll be painting soon....

Peter.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
I hope he has produced quite a few of these as they are beautiful and sure to be in great demand

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (lemans59 @ 7 Sep 2012, 16:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So gorgeous!
I hope it will be available soon...

This is not a pre-production version, they are now a stock item and this is I think one of the first.

I think it is great that cars of this era are becoming available and look forward to other such cars.

Guild Master Models are making a little progress with the Invicta and of course TRRC have many in the pipeline but seem a little quiet since the website problems.

Dave?

Peter.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
That looks terrific, and will be ideal, instead of my hamfisted attempts to convert static kits.
Besides, the Airfix K3 kit goes for such a price!

Graham has done another fantastic Job, and with Peters wheels this is going to be something else.

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,721 Posts
Peter,

Are your wheels available to buy?

If not is there anyone else making the larger wire wheels that would suit this car.

cheers
David

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A little more progress on the K3.

The various rivits on the body seemed somewhat oversized to me, so were flatted down a little, whilst scribe lines showing the divide between the bonnet sides and bonnet valences were made.

After the usual scrub with toothbrush/scourer/wash-up liguid the body was primed. The first primer coat didn't take too well, so a more thorough clean was made and a more successful primer coat made. After flatting down, a few coats of Halfords Brooklands Green were made, on a nice warm 'made for painting' day.

The radiator overflow detail was removed primarily to ease the finishing of the radiator, but also because it is an easy piece of detail to re-create. The radiator was slightly re-shaped around the nosepiece, then covered in Bare Metal Foil. I may give it another go in some other material which is more difficult to apply around compound curves, but has a better finish.
The grille has been silver painted and will receive a black wash in due course.

Now efforts will be directed towards the chassis.

These kits can be bought from George Turner Models. A phone call is always best, always flag emails!

Peter.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Has George got a new site because we can't find the K3 on the link above - and the site's search facility only finds the MGB and C. Also on his news page dated Feb 2012 he says there were progress pictures in the Gallery page (Slot Car Extra) but there aren't any.

Not sure about the model, obviously it's great, but doesn't look quite right. Peter has confirmed one aspect of uncertainty - the oversized rivet detailing. There were only 33 K3s built (17 with a slab tank and 16 with this racing tail) and as most were raced and modified would like to know if it was modelled from a current or past car or if it is generic.

Peter - from our limited experience of etched wire wheels don't really liked them prefer to see daylight through them as you can with plastic ones - however with the K3 having such large brake drums there's little light to be seen and your wheels and tyres do look the part.

Driver#8 - do you still have the K3 shell we gave you the other year - like to see a comparison of the two just to see how bad ours is.

·
Mike
629 Posts
On the last racing K3 I worked on (This year) it had come out of hibernation for the first time in some 30 years, none of the body panels were an exact fit most had been hand made / beaten and were of different sizes. Bits were made to fit were they touched

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it is pretty well done except for racing numbers.

This will be the Charlie Dodson car as raced at the International Trophy in 1934 at Brooklands.

Everything went together with little fuss, with only a few small mods.

The next one is already in primer with a few further alterations planned.

I think this is the best GTM car yet, but then it is from my preferred period.

Peter.

·
Registered
270 Posts
QUOTE (PeterSussex @ 11 Sep 2012, 08:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The radiator was slightly re-shaped around the nosepiece, then covered in Bare Metal Foil. I may give it another go in some other material which is more difficult to apply around compound curves, but has a better finish.

Super work, Peter. Another of George's models to add to my list. If you're still thinking about another way of achieving the natural metal finish on the radiator, without the difficulty of shaping BMF around compound shapes then have you tried Alclad? Airframe Aluminium looks like a match.

Alclad II

All the best,

Roger

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Roger, I have read a great deal about Alclad, but have never used it. Is this the treatment which has a black base coat with subsequent 'colour' coat to simulate the finish required?

I did wonder about it for the MGC window surrounds though suspect it would be more suited to items like a radiator shell.

The K3 rad incidentally is a perfect push fit, so could still be modified in the future...

Peter.

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
The Alclad chrome and polished aluminum are applied over a gloss black undercoat. The matte finishes typically go over an ordinary undercoat.

It must be applied with an airbrush. When I first started using it, I put aside my bottom fed siphon style airbrush and bought a top feed unit with a very small cup. The paint is quite expensive. It is lacquer based and, provided one does the clean up quickly, easy to work with.

The Alclad line offers a wide range of metallic finishes. The matte aluminum and magnesium range are very good for painting wheels. There are also several transparent colors. The blue is particularly useful over a chrome finish to represent heated exhaust pipes. Other types of exhaust do well painted with the "jet exhaust" color.

The chrome finish is a bit fragile. The manufacturer suggests that it can be clear coated with some loss of metallic sheen.

EM

·
Registered
241 Posts
Not sure if these are the same car but I saw them at Angouleme this year. However, they are MGs and I love them.

Saw this one parked up with no tow in sight in a petrol station in Normandy! Where else could you leave a valuable car like that alone?

I can see myself getting one of those GT jobbies soon. Does he do Amilcars yet?

Cheers

Mel

·
Registered
270 Posts
QUOTE (PeterSussex @ 3 Oct 2012, 18:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Roger, I have read a great deal about Alclad, but have never used it. Is this the treatment which has a black base coat with subsequent 'colour' coat to simulate the finish required?

I did wonder about it for the MGC window surrounds though suspect it would be more suited to items like a radiator shell.

The K3 rad incidentally is a perfect push fit, so could still be modified in the future...

Peter.

I would have used Alclad for the window surrounds on my MGC but I've only recently started using Alclad. I was initially put off by what seemed an involved process but it really is far simpler to use and clean up than it may seem, and the results are excellent if you take time. Two mist coats followed by a wet coat and mist really does mean mist. Being lacquer based it dries very quickly too. If you were spraying two items then by the time you've sprayed one, the other will be ready for the next coat so if you plan your painting you can easily save on clean-up time too.

As Ecurie says it does seem expensive although a little does go a long way and I don't know of anything else that creates those results.

Good luck,

Roger

1 - 20 of 43 Posts