SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today saw the first real progress on one of Geoge Turners' MGC models.

The MGC GTS (for Sebring) was the last BMC competition venture and was effectively killed off after the creation on BLMC. To the best of my knowledge all GTS cars are accounted for. The GTS, whilst based around an MGC, actually had a lightweight (much alloy) body accompanied by an engine using aluminium alloy castings. Best known seen shod with Minilite wheels, I believe they ran on wire wheels in their second (last) year, in 1969.

I've had this model for a while, and realise from a second example bought recently, that the latest offering has detail improvements.

This kit is supplied with all fittings, basic chassis and decals. There is an interior, but I will not be using it.

The body casting is exceptional in finish and detail. Subtle door shut lines, excellent finish requiring minimum preparation and lightweight also for the racers. My original scratchbuild stops now, there is no point in continuing!

Detail parts include whitemetal fuel filler, rubber bonnet straps and optional grilles. Decals are provided for both MBL and RMO.

The wheels I am fitting are simple Scaley items, modified, and fitted with Scaley tyres.

The above photo shows the worst of the moulding, the RH brake cooling aperture is incorrectly formed. A relatively easy correction.

The overall body shape seems pretty good. No doubt as I get into the build errors may come to light.,

I like the chassis, especially the twin front mounts and single rear. The motor snaps in readily, the axle bearings a little too readily. They are actually a little loose, nothing that a paper shim will not put right. The gear alignment is good but not perfect, the guide mounting requires work to suit the choice of guide. The kit comes with a suitable screw and nut to bolt the two chassis parts up, and 3 self tappers for chassis/body fitting.

I love that profile. If I were deemed old fashioned for liking such shapes, so be it, I like them and am happy to be old fashioned.

Such a pity that the SCX MGA could not manage the same standards....

Peter.

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are interiors and interiors. Generally with a closed car I am not too bothered, though with open cars, it is another matter.

All too often manufacturers will take a short cut and produce an abbreviated interior, as with this car, is ok. As a favourite, this car must be correct to a greater degreee than it is.

I freely confess that I do not know the interior of the GTS, but I do know it is not like this.

Boomerang, no offence, but can we stick to English please? Words..... Thanks.

Peter.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'll be following this with very great interest. I saw these kits at the Gaydon show and have been meaning to get one. The C is a much maligned car and the GTS was a brutal racer that didn't get the backing and development it should have done. Thanks for starting this thread and please keep us updated.

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
V. gd Peter (sorry couldnt resist
)

No seriosuly mate this looks the bussiness. George's shells are some of the best on the market, I bought one of his Maserati 300s' with the engine detail, it was a joy to put together, very easy indeed, and I won the concours at its first meeting! The resin chassis are very good actually and a great addition to the kit.

Looking forward to seeing this interior!

Regards
Jon

P.S: Bigblock HERE

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
QUOTE (PeterSussex @ 3 Jul 2011, 21:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool. Is that what's sitting on the front two rows of this grid ?

I took this picture at Cadwell Park in the summer of 1989, and always thought the front four were just beefed up MGBs. Now I think I was quite wrong.

Here's the two front runners having a bit of a tussle... (Yet another picture I really wish I'd waited another half second to press the button for. Sigh.)

So, who is this George Turner chap ?

Stuart.

·
Mike
629 Posts
The two cars there are both MGb V8,s fullrace versions, the no 107 was the last MGB built buy the factory for racing. It was raced very succefully buy Malcolm Beer, his son now races the same model but different colour and was out at Silverstone MG live last weekend , awesome beasts 400 + bhp all from the old 3.9 rover lump.
ps the series is the MGBCV8

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Olivier, don't mail George, telephone him.

Parts in the kit are shown below.

Two sets of headlamp covers are provided. On the interior is the 'rubber' bonnet strap and 2 beautifully made headlamp lenses.

Jacking points, exhaust, rear lamps, headlamps, drivers head, filler cap and roof light are in the centre.

The body shown has full Sebring detail whereas the one I am building might be termed a 'generic' MGC racer, which will be updated to a Sebring.

I'm pretty sure the wheels are from the Lotus Seven. The tyres are from the GT40.

The interior won't be very dramatic. I'm pretty sure the normal spare wheel area was taken up by fuel tank with the spare being strapped to the rear floor.

My guess is that it would indeed fit over the Scaley chassis. I should clap my eyes on a Scaley MGB later this month, so will appraise the situation. Hmmm, now you have me thinking...

Peter

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
QUOTE (mgmike @ 4 Jul 2011, 17:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The two cars there are both MGb V8,s fullrace versions, the no 107 was the last MGB built buy the factory for racing. It was raced very succefully buy Malcolm Beer, his son now races the same model but different colour and was out at Silverstone MG live last weekend , awesome beasts 400 + bhp all from the old 3.9 rover lump.
ps the series is the MGBCV8
Thanks for the info. When I took those pictures I was 17. I had my dad's fancy schmancy camera and no idea of how to get the best from it. And since I would have to pay to develop the film, I didn't take all that many shots. These days, I get very click happy with the digital camera because I still have no talent for it, but I hope that quantity will make up for quality, and that one or two of them will turn out *really* well. It usually happens, but it's more by luck than judgement.

I remember at the event hearing that some of these cars were V8s. It's always nice to get a bit of the back story on these things. So they are indeed beefed up MGBs. I assume the flared arches are influenced by, or may be the precursor to, the ones on the MGC that spawned this thread. The similarities are undeniable.

Stuart.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The flared arches are absolute necessities on cars like that so that they can fit wheels and tyres wide enough to get the power to the track. My car has 185s and that's about the limit without flaring the arches. The tyres already rub under hard cornering.

The Scaley MGB idea is intriguing indeed. I bought one last week so I may have to get myself that GTS kit and join in the fun.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Slightly off topic,

but I have an MGB CB Roadster ( Heritage shell ), self build with a V8.

I used to get 185 tyre / body contact with the leaf springs, even with a "panhard-rod" and anti tramp bars fitted.

I have now installed a full independent double-wishbone front and rear end and no longer have a problem !!??.

Disc brakes all round, adjustable shockers and spring-rates, and a Sierra diff., ( sorry MGOC ), and it is brilliant.

The difference to ride and handling is amazing !!.

vbr Chris A.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I continue to be amazed at the wealth of knowledge and expertise on this site. The model is sublime ( and I am no fan of MGs) but this would not only tempt me to buy the kit, but consider a 1:1! The photos are also brilliant ( kit and 'real ones'). There are some talented people out there... Sorry Peter, I meant to say I am no fan of Morris Garages... 's.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Slightly off topic but I can't resist.
Phil T - you won't get a real GTS now unless you have a lottery win but you might get Doug Smith at MG Motorsport (http://www.mgmotorsport.com/) to build you one for £30k+ but he'll try and talk you out of it! A MGC GT road car is less of a financial pain to buy but be warned - engines and gearboxes are not common so they are expensive. A recent bill for £10k gives me the credentials to say that! Depends what you want it for, of course. They can be great cruisers but mine's built for speed and is a very different prospect to Bs and BV8s. In a B I can arrive at a corner and then decide what to do, whereas a quick C needs forward planning - they're fun because they're difficult and when you get it right it's a real achievement. C ownership is a masochistic thing!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts