SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I finally took the plunge and decided to build one of George Turner's cars after having seen some of the awesome results that many of you have posted. I've been an avid buyer of RTR cars over the years but haven't yet built my own and have never worked with resin before so this was a real case of on the job training. I decided to build the GTS as the MGC has always had a perverse attraction for me, given its poor (and undeserved) reputation. I managed to buy a 1:1 MGC GT a few years ago and have enjoyed the challenge of making it go well but I think a GTS will remain far beyond my budget so a 1/32 slot car version it is!

I found the build itself to be pretty simple and was helped immensely by the quality of George's castings. There are some areas where the model's dimensions could be more accurate but then with the real thing in the garage it's easy for me to spot imperfections and they're easily overlooked. I haven't been too slavish about building a 100% replica of one of the two GTS' (see my attack of vanity with the registration on this car!) and I used the kit's pretty simplistic interior rather than build anything more detailed as I just won't see it on the track. Also, I wanted to add lighting and the model, like the real thing, is pretty small so space was at a premium. Chassis is a PCS32 item with a 30k Scaley motor that I had knocking about.

George has made some lovely little extras like the exhausts and bonnet straps but thanks to the Carpet Monster I had to scratch my own. In the flesh they look adequate but cruel close-up photography does show up my own limitations in that area. I took considerable time and care over painting and used a Humbrol Brunswick Green rattle can to simulate the version of BRG used on the GTS. I think it's a good shade and is certainly close to the colour of my own car. I used Halfords primer (two coats, rubbed down with Micromesh) before two mist coats of green (rubbed down with fine grades of Micromesh again) before applying two wet coats and the obligatory rubbing down again after having let the paint cure for a week. I then gave it two airbrushed coats of Klear before applying the decals. Micro Set was essential for getting the white roundel at the rear of the car to conform to the wings and lights. I've also used Bare Metal Foil for the first time here and have been really pleased at the results and how simple it is to use. Simple if you're very careful, that is! I was able to do all of the chrome light fittings with it, along with the aid of a magnifying lamp! As so many others have already said, careful prep is essential when using BMF as it does show up every imperfection. I applied a light wash only to the panel lines and then gave the whole thing another couple of coats of Klear with the AB, a few days to harden and then polishing compound and a touch of Autoglym's finest that I had in the garage.

I think that's enough blather and I hope you enjoy the pictures. Please feel free to comment and critique.

Roger

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Roger, very well done!

It is hard to believe that this effort is your first scratch build. Just great work.

In one photo, it appears that the headlights are working. Is this the case? If so, they really suit the car.

All the best,
John

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
No bloody way that's your first build!
That's is really, really nice. I'm particularly impressed with the bare metal foil work, very neat.

Finally, the photography is superb, the lighting is sublime.

Regards
Jon

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
If the basic theory is that you improve with every build I can't wait to see your 4th or 5th one. As the others have said outstanding first effort.

Does it drive as good as it looks?

Embs

·
re member
4,019 Posts
You must be really happy with that....

·
Registered
408 Posts
Beautiful work Roger. Great paint work. The car looks pretty amazing. I don't know if the glass is plastic or vac form but if it is plastic then I would say that a good polish sanding would make this car jump even higher. One more thing, great photos mate.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi All,

What very kind comments - thanks very much indeed. Especially humbling given the quality of work I've seen from you all. George's kit was so obviously good and right-looking out of the box that I felt almost duty bound to put the effort in. Thanks for the compliments on the photography too. I enjoyed building my Heath Robinson-esque lightbox to take the shots!

John - yes I have installed lights. I took a set from a very tired old Autoart GT3 as it had a very small pcb and capacitor (space is very much at a premium) and also a plug so that the lights and wiring can be installed in the body but body and chassis can still be separated.

Ember - don't know how it drives yet. It's quite a short wheelbase and is relatively weighty so it might be a bit nervous around the corners. I can also see those spotlights pinging off at the very first opportunity!

Charles - I found that a magnifying lamp and a brand new scalpel blade (Swann Morton rather than the thicker Xacto) were essential but I still had to do BMF work in short bursts. I did start to feel like Donald Pleasance's character in The Great Escape after a while!

Bosmeck - I agree about the polishing and I did try a few things but the transparency is vacform so there's not a lot of material to work with. In the end I resorted to a couple of dips in Klear to try and overcome that grainy quality as much as possible.

Thanks all,

Roger

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Very nice work indeed.

George Turner is simply a genius isn't he?

I've had the priveledge of meeting him at a Classis Saloons event at Wolverhampton and it was like meeting a modern day Michaelangelo!

More like this please?

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
A beautiful job Roger.

I'd disagree with those who suggest the MGC is an awful car to drive. A 'C' roadster is the only car I've ever driven at 100mph and it was a great drive, even cornering was fine so long as the car was placed properly.
I bevieve the GT is beter balanced?

Large detailed photo's may show up all the hiccups, but of course these show the car several times full size, just as if a magnifying glass were being used. Personally I think such pictures are useful to anyone who always wishes to improve their work.

Well done again, I look forward very much to seeing your next build.

Peter.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts