SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
redstar
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this set here in Houston today. Its a 1967 Revell set with two 1/32nd scale Ferrari GTOs. These are the later cars. The bodies are a soft plastic not hard like the earlier ones which were hard and brittle. There were not clear plastic head lights, instead the later cars had the lights molded into the bodies.The chassis were also plastic. You can see the braids are unused.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Camera accessory Automotive exterior

Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Wheel Kit car

Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle

Handwriting Font Material property Pattern Paper

Car Vehicle Wheel Hood Motor vehicle

Helmet Plastic Personal protective equipment Cleanliness Auto part

Wheel Tire Car Toy Vehicle

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
When you say “softer” plastic, is it flexible nearly unbreakable polypropylene or Tupperware-like plastic rather than hard rigid polystyrene.

I once had a Cox Chaparral 2 with a “soft” flexible plastic body.

·
Registered
781 Posts
A sad end for one of the nicest and more popular mouldings Revell made. The price of being the one with the longest lifespan I suppose. Real thickness of these straps should be one inch... The first time I saw one of these cars I was so deceived that I refused to buy it. Changed my mind however, and now I have a white one in my collection.

·
Premium Member
5,446 Posts
"Nice find Bernard. I don't think I've ever seen those bodies, especially with not only the headlights molded in, but even the tape on the headlights! "

Don, if you had read "The Book", you would know... :)
Pages 118-199, picture # 279...

·
Administrator
10,509 Posts
Picture on the box is a bit of a con, showing glass headlights and chrome wheels - a lot of kids would be a bit disappointed on opening it...

·
Administrator
10,525 Posts
I don't think I ever paid much attention to stuff like that.

That was actually pretty common with all our model kits, slot cars, etc. with the box top bearing no ressemblance at all to the car within... but I think as kids, we just kind of sighed, briefly telling ourselves, hey, that's not what it looks like on the box, but then we got right back to building the model...

Don

·
Premium Member
5,446 Posts
RikoRocket,
Yes, the picture on the box is a bit of false advertising... at the time all the Revell cars had lost their metal chassis and gone plastic fantastic... :(

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Motor vehicle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts