SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share a recent article on Classic Driver on an early innovator and his Porsche 550 Spyder. For the 1956 Nürburgring 1000km, May, a 22 year old driver/engineer, mounted an adjustable inverted airfoil over the cockpit of his Porsche. This was a decade ahead of Jim Hall's winged Chaparrals. The car clocked four seconds faster than the factory 550s, outraging the Porsche team who lodged a protest. The protest held and the car never competed in its winged configuration.

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Has anyone attempted to recreate this car? I have a weakness for orange badge Porsches and may have to once the track is finished. The original has been restored with now 82 year old May consulting. The full article and photos by Rémi Dargegen can be found at
https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/cars/michael-mays-porsche-550-spyder-a-winged-wonder?utm_campaign=0562020%20Michael%20May%20Porsche%20550%20EN&utm_content=0562020%20Michael%20May%20Porsche%20550%20EN%20CID_63e96db9c631a431d28b3c1a803ff593&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=Michael%20Mays%20Porsche%20550%20Spyder%20is%20a%20winged%20wonder

Attachments

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Welt

This car is well known in Porsche circles. It has annoyed me for many years that May's wing was banned, because it worked so very well. Wings didn't start with Michael May, of course, but I've always thought of it as the first modern device that was, most demonstrably, a huge advantage.

Ditto the air-brake on the Le Mans Mercs.

Thanks for showing the 550 Porsche. It needs to be remembered.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
There's a ready supply of 550 Spyders from an individual on eBay. I also have a Monogram version I could use. Anyone know how accurate the dimensions are on the Monogram model? Following many of the scratch building posts on the Forum, I've become much more attuned to accuracy, particularly as I tend towards the smaller racers of the late 50s and early 60s. It really hit me when I acquired an Eldon Lotus 23. Truly not to scale.

Now back to track wiring . . .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts