SlotForum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Michael Schumacher is the latest star of international sport to contribute to the fundraising effort to provide aid for the victims of the Asian tsunami disaster, having donated $10million to the cause.

The world champion's manager, Willi Weber, revealed the donation on German television last night [Tuesday], as Schumacher did his bit to motivate his countrymen into raising funds for those orphaned, bereaved, injured and left homeless by the earthquake and subsequent tidal waves that struck on both sides of the Indian Ocean on 26 December. By the end of the night, the televised donation drive had realised in excess of E34million.

"It's so unfathomable and horrible what has happened to so many people," Schumacher wrote on his personal website, "You cannot simply block it out."

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I'm biting my tounge because although the two guys above make a good point, the guy above them does too.

Whether it's pocket change to him, or he is benefiting from it in some way, the victims of the tsunami are still going to recieve 10 million euros (£7 million) which is the thing to focus on here.

Andy

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
if Michael had done nothing no one would have said a word or thought anything, but the guy hands over $10m and gets slagged off !!!! i think i must be from another planet, i just do not understand where some people are coming from. mac p

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Mac.... well said! It really doesn't matter what the money means to Michael (and I am not a fan!), or whether he gets a tax write-off.... fact is, the relief effort is $10 million to the good. That's more than many countries have contributed! In fact, nine Michael Schumachers could equal all of Canada's contributions to date! And Canada is tied for third in contributions!

Too bad we don't recognize the twenty years of suffering in third world African countries to the same extent - they have lost the same number of people through starvation and Aids in the past three weeks. And that has been going on for years. Just a little perspective and food for thought...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have noticed for some time that there are several people on this form who have nothing to say positive on any topic. I think good taste should over rule some of these comments.

It would be interesting to see how much some people on this topic, who are giving negative inputs, sent in aid.

I sent 1000 euro to Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
I sent nothing. That tells you nothing about me. You wanting to know tells me something about you.

I may be cynical, but the a diaster has turned into a western giving race. It's the same lame mentality that saw London covered in flowers when Diane died. Ask who the givers seek to impress, ask who notices who stayed silent for three minutes (the tsunami victims sure didn't).

Anyway, nothing to do with slot cars so no place here.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
It's probably best if this doesn't become a competition as to who gave the most to charity.

Some people simply cannot afford to give, but, hopefully everyone agrees that no one can be criticized for giving to charity.

Maybe he even thought about the reprocussions of giving this money, but I am glad that he donated it in the end. As Mac says, he could have simply not bothered and no-one would have said anything. There are far more rich individuals who have kept quiet...

Andy

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Some very interesting comments here on what is obviously a very emotional subject.

Schumacher is always a guarantee for a polarisation of opinion but no one can deny it is a very substantial donation from one person however wealthy he is.

Fergy raises a good point also. The worlwide reaction to the earthquake has been staggering and I believe it is because it happened at Christmas, was a natural disaster and on a huge scale.

Developing World poverty and disease are caused by so many other man made factors such as economics, politics and conflict and they often happen in areas where the governing power prevents media coverage and therefore cushions us in the west from the harsh realities of the problem. These problems also are so long running that we unfortunately become desensitised to them.

Hopefully the world has shrunk a little in the last ten days and more people will consider the plight of all those far less fortunate wherever they are in the world.

David

·
MG Brown
559 Posts
I am tempted to ask the rehtorical question... what amount might Al Queda slash Bin Laden et al intend to donate to the relief effort?

Of course this is a guess but any organization able to organise and pull off the Sept 11 tragedies could well put those resources into more humanitarian efforts!

(donning flame suit)

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
The Pit Lane Rules....."Only topics related to the Slot Car hobby and Motoring will be allowed"

This has gone way off.

Moderators?

Isetta.

·
Registered
486 Posts
QUOTE (Scott @ 5 Jan 2005, 11:38)Ask who the givers seek to impress, ask who notices who stayed silent for three minutes (the tsunami victims sure didn't).
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Michael's agent made the announcement. Michael himself said nothing, except on his website (probably also a statement prepared by a PR flack). So what if he did say something? Again, who cares what he gains (nothing) by donating. Those who are fans will still like him; those who aren't (you, obviously) won't.

Jeez, isn't it enough of a tragedy without people being cynical?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I don't know the accuracy of this but this evening's news mentioned that one of his bodyguards is amongst the missing. It also mentioned that their was a great deal of red tape thrown in his path by the German government.

Bob S

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Re Moderation

I think it was fine to make the original post.
Unfortunately, there is tremendous potential for divergence from anything connected with cars or slot cars.

Politics is right off topic, chaps and the topic will definitely be closed if it goes any further down the political road.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
QUOTE So what if he did say something? Again, who cares what he gains (nothing) by donating. Those who are fans will still like him; those who aren't (you, obviously) won't.

Stumbley,

I couldn't agree more - except you're wrong at the end.

I do like Michael, always have since I first saw him wring the neck of that Sauber sports car through the night at Le Mans.

I think he's a great driver. If he wants to give money to charity, that's fine too. Equally, I think no less of anyone who hasn't donated. It is, I think, a private matter.

What I dislike is the idea that anyone - poor man or plutocrat - should be made to feel they should donate because of "public pressure".

What next, shall we condemn Hornby more than Carrera if one gives more than the other? Boycott Fly if they give nothing?

·
René &#39;Vialli&#39; Christensen
4,861 Posts
And it only took Schumi a week to make the donation!

Personally I never donate, because the goverment in Denmark takes 25% of what any organisation gets in!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.