SlotForum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the Kastner Brophy Trans Am car at a vintage race at Mid Ohio in1991. The featured marque was Triumph. I was on hand with the original Greenman, my `62 TR4. It was my first "working" vintage race. Equipped with camera and notebook I was to write a sidebar article for Victory Lane Magazine. I had seen both Trans Am prepped Vitesses over the weekend... Kas Kastner's "Candy Box" and the Blue and white liveried "Mike Rockett" car, (which was built to Kastner's original specs). I knew the cars were quick but had no idea how quick until the start of the "All Triumph" feature. The two were gridded 1 and 2 with Tullius' `75 CP winning TR6 about mid pack. Two Group 44 TR7 V8s were at the back of the pack for the 10 lap race.

When the starter showed the green to the field of nearly 30 cars, the two Vitesses just ran away from everyone, hot on their heels but fading was the Group 44 TR6. By the time the checkers was waved the Vitesses were working their way through the back markers, the Group 44 TR7s were only up to the front of the pack.

That memory stayed with me and when I got involved in slot racing I determine that I would model Kastner's Vitesse for my own... It was my first I resin cast car and my greatest disappointment. There just wasn't the right combination of chassis, motor and wheels available at the time that would produce a good running car. The first was mounted on an aluminum Revell Clubman chassis which was so wide I could only fit narrowed Caterham wheels and tires under it... it didn't look right to my eye. The next was built on an MRRC Cobra chassis which was shortened and narrowed... no cigar. It was the wheels again... the car still didn't look like it had any weight. It didn't run very well either. I gifted it to Kas Kastner.

The stars finally aligned with this last version. I remade the mold then did some new castings. For the build I used a shortened MRRC Sebring chassis. I moved the guide position backwards to fit under the bodywork. The wheels and tires and inserts were supplied by Andy Brown Searle in the UK. It's powered by one of my last AE motors. The axles and gears are Slotit (9:24) it along with the guide.

The only problem I had with the build came from applying the decals. I used an ALPS printed decal. Each stripe is applied by hand. Previously, I used Detail Master decal paper for laser printer for the first two builds. This media probably had a thicker film to take the image. Those decals were more durable. Adding decals to this car was seriously frustrating. Once the decals were on, it was on to clear coating. Two very light dust coats degraded the decals so badly I had to reapply them. This time I clear coated the decals with brushed on Tamiya acrylic clear then clear coated with Duplicolor, thankfully without further problems.

The driver is a cut down LeMans Miniataure, the roll cage was adapted from a Revellogram Cortina.

Greenman62

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
QUOTE A lovely model worthy of a proxy entry into next years Pendle Trans Am Event perhaps?

I don't think so...

I have plans for a 1963 Falcon There was one that ran in about 6 races in 1966. You know I love obscure. Here's a shot of the car I completed last summer

It was built on a stretched Pioneer Mustang chassis.

Below is the master of a casting I'm prepping. It's a bit more accurate take on the car that's being vintage Trans Am racing today.

Greenman62

1 - 5 of 5 Posts