SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
No1 super guy
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I have a small micro layout for me and my young daughter, did not think she would enjoy it so much but she's having a blast. Bummer is, I sold a lot of my micro stuff a while back so I'm limited with track and now only have 2 working cars.
I have a Johnny Lightning Chevy Nomad but it won't work on the micro track, it just sits there with the wheels spinning. Is this because the rails are slightly raised on the micro track?
I'd like to get a few different cars, preferably muscle cars, but if these have the same sort of X traction chassis I assume they won't work either.
Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Good to communicate with another person from Essex, the misunderstood county. I suspect now that you mentioned XTs there will be another along like a shot in a minute!

Anyway, It could be a problem with the tyres, I have not heard of XTs not working on Micro track. Have you tried building them up with tape on the wheels to see if the problem reduces? If it does then your hypothesis may be correct and you will need to get some taller tyres if you decide to stick with Pancake chassis.

·
No1 super guy
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What the

Just tried the Nomad on the track to see if it's the tyre size and it ran round just fine
Chuffed, as at least I now have a car of my own.

Found a couple of Aurora cars with lights which the lit'lun would love, a Jaguar XJ of some kind and a Porsche 962. One of the chassis barely works though needing the rear wheels to be turned to get it moving and there's a lot of sparking from the commutator (I think that's what it is?) I'm gonna try and clean it up and see if I can get it going better.

Thanks Deane, at least I now know I can get any car that takes my fancy

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 14 Nov 2011, 19:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Essex, the misunderstood county.

Those of us north of the border know what Essex is like only too well

Never tried an X Traction on Micro track so I've no idea what they're like, but if you're interested in racing them have a look at the AVHORA sub forum.
BTW 12V Matchbox will run but 6V won't.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have micro scalextric track, afx and faller and I find the scalextric track least compatible with non scalextric cars. I can get T-jets (NOS and autoworld) to run on it but not consistently. I think as you say the rails are too high. I find the pin hits the track joints quite easily and they deslot. I think AFX track is probably the best allround track for compatibility (even though I am now using faller track, which is nice but a bit of a faff to put together)

·
No1 super guy
1,667 Posts
Deane,
yep, that's me, a stones throw from Lakeside.

These are the cars I have left, used to have a red, a white and a blue Mini, 3 Audi TT's and a Porsche Boxster but they were sold a while back.
The red Porsche works, just, but the Jag is a pile of poo, I think the motors or the brushes in the motors are shot. Gave the Jag's motor a good clean out with electrical contact fluid and then a light oiling on the bearings but it's still no go. Need to keep a look out for a couple of cheap motors or a couple of cheap cars that I can rob the motors from. Lit'lun wants a yellow race car and a pink Mini, so the Jag might become yellow one day!

This is our current track, I've cut the wires on lane 1 on one of the power bases and lane 2 on the other so I can have independent power supplies. One PB is run through a Hornby train controller so I can turned down the voltage so the little missy does'nt crash all the time. The other 2 PB's have had the electrical bits removed so I could just use them as track pieces. The only other track I have left is a bunch of long turns so we won't be going any bigger just yet.

Here's an old layout from years ago before the lit'lun came along. Nice and compact with a lot of track, the plan at the time was to build it into a coffee table but that never came to pass.

Thanks for all the info and help guys, much appreciated,

Mike

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Hi Mike,

I have a Mini Challenge set which I only bought for the cars so if you would like everything else for a coupla quid, you would be welcome to it. Drop me a PM.

Cheers

Gareth

1 - 8 of 8 Posts