SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Alan Tadd
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it was about time I started work on my routed wood layout. My 12' x 8' Shed in the garden has been in place now for some time, complete with all electrics and lighting.

I just haven't made time, until now, to actually start work, but all these great layouts appearing on the Forum, and the chance of some free time, (Job redundancy does have some benefit's), have forced me to get on with it....

The layout itself will be a two lane wood track with one squeeze section through a village. I've included this bit really as a tribute to Luf and those good ole boy's at Archer Raceway's in Canada, who build some of the finest wood layouts around. My village will not have an Italian setting, but hopefully will feature some typically English village scenes......(just watch out for references to SF stalwarts!....Ah Fergy
).

The Plan for the track was designed and drawn up by Jim Butt, Subdude to his mates, who designed and built his own circuit, the magnificent Flying Cow track which I'm sure some of you will be familiar with. He also has designed layouts for many others in the States. Jim offered to design a circuit for me for free and if you are interested he will design one for you, but will charge you for his superb work. You can contact Jim via a PM from this Forum, or I can supply you with an E-Mail address.

I hope to update this thread as work progresses so that you can see, (and share) the pleasure of building one of these tracks.

Work so far has involved the construction of the base support structure, which although not very glamorous is very important to get right if you want a smooth running layout.

This first photo shows the support section for the sweep curve at one end of the layout. All timber is 50mm x 50mm, (2"x2" in old money), which perhaps is overkill but I like a base to be really strong. I am a useless carpenter so I'm afraid all my joints are of the "butt" type. I found some junction sections at my local Homebase store which are really good for making these joints.

A view from the other end of the layout

Finally the track plan Jim produced, I will be deviating from the original design as I have now decided I don't need three lanes so reduced the circuit to two, and a squeeze section will be included at one end of the layout.

Further updates to follow.

Regards

Alan

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Hi Alan:

Your work on the base structure looks great, and the shed is very nice too. The track plan looks like it will be a lot of fun to drive. Will the track have any elevation changes? It seems like it would be easy to incorporate a nice climb (or decent) into the village.

You have made a good start. Please do keep us updated with pictures as your work progresses.

Brad

·
Alan Tadd
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little more work completed today.

The MDF baseboard has now been cut to size to fit the base structure, and the circuit marked out.

I have always built routed tracks in the past using the traditional fixed radius method, i.e. the router fixed to one end of a piece of lexan and the other end fixed to the centre of the arc. For this layout I thought I would try something a little different.

Last year I contacted Luf at www.oldslotracer.com and he sent me one of his routing kits and the excellent DVD showing his method of building a wooden track. For anyone thinking about building a track I can recommend that they buy this DVD, it will answer almost all your questions.

Instead of using fixed radii for bends Luf uses a flexible lexan stip which is nailed down and the router run around the inside, (or outside if your brave). This forms the first slot. You then install a piece of flexible plastic inside the grove and run the router around it. This forms the second slot.

First you must draw up your layout onto the MDF. This is good fun as you can really try out different radius bends. I used the flexible plastic strip and some nails to get the curves I wanted. All the curves I used were of variable radius so, in theory, the transitions between straight sections and curves is not noticable. That's the theory anyway.

The start of the squeeze section. The remaider of the track will have 100mm lane spacing.

Next up the routing !.....

Brad...The track will have elevations. The section coming out of the village and along the back straight will be raised.

Rob...I'll be finished with the router soon, so there will be no excuse!...

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Alan,

Looks like it's going to be fantastic! Please keep us updated!

·
Ian
99 Posts
Alan,
I don't know how I missed the beginning of this thread but I promise I won't be missing any more, I know what you are like when it comes to "attention to detail" so I know this is going to be a fantastic track.
I like the plan looks really "Flowing" I can also understand the excitement you must be feeling right now it is really great fun building your own track.

I also like the idea of some typical British scenery that will fit well with the cars you prefer, I already have impressions of old limestone buildings, and a village church.

Oldslotracer.com has inspiration for us all, woops did I mention my tracks on there now,

I will be following this every step of the way keep, posting the photos please, have fun with the router, make sure you have some spare bits handy it's really annoying when it breaks right at a crucial moment.

I can see this is going to be a really popular thread.

Good luck

Ian

·
Alan Tadd
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Routing is now completed. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed this part.

The outer lane was routed first. Using the Luf Lexan strip. This is a great device, just wish I had thought it up !.

This is a better photo of the strip :-

Routing the inner slot couldn't be simpler. You just insert the flexible strip into the outer lane slot and route...!

Just to show we all make mistakes....
....A little slip of the router. I used a two part Polyfilla wood repair kit, which seems to be working well.

The next stage is to cut and build the raised section. I guess I should order some copper tape now...

Regards

Alan

·
Gary Skipp
6,657 Posts
Thanks for updating us, I'm sure this thread will improve invaluble for me when it comes to building my layout!

Looking good Alan, what dimensions have you chosen for lane spacing?

Keep us posted

·
Alan Tadd
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gary

The original lane spacing was going to be 100mm, but I changed it to 80mm as that was the width of my router!.... In the squeeze section the spacing varies from 40mm to 60mm. (The lanes are not parallel at this point).

Regards

Alan

PS Copper Tape now on order from Trinity Glass (http://www.trinitystainedglass.co.uk/copper-foil.asp). Following Bleep's comments on his trackbuild, I've gone for the 7/32nd width tape).

·
Ian
99 Posts
Alan,
did you call them because I had no joy with the e-mail? Thats flying along well done at this rate you'll have it finised by the end of the week

Gary,
It is that cheap that's the only reason I went there

But I got the information from zipp so I cant take the credit

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.