SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Alan Tadd
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finaly finished my routed track, (Umm..is any track really finished?), and thought you might like to see the photographs.

The start line, with tyre dump in the background. A couple of "Big strong boys" are manhandling a MG TC engine to their pits...Yeah right!.

The exit of the first bend and the start of the "esses". The tea hut is now complete, (and has a queue of potential customers). The roof is finished in traditional model railway style, i.e strips of plasticard are cut and scored, then laid as you would a real roof. Ridge tiles are made from brass rod, cut in half, scored and painted. Not bad seeing as it started life as the bottom half of a Scalex Control tower.

The bottom hairpin. The green and white boundry wall is in fact painted Brittains Haybales!. I got the idea from watching Bike racing from Mallory, where they have something similar on their hairpin. The tree is now surrounded by a plasticard "Planter" which has real moss in it. Also an Alpine plant has now come into flower....I must remember to water it.

Corner at the top of the rise (100mm), just before the main straight. Very tricky corner to get right. You can loose a lot of time here.

Trickiest corner on the layout, a decending adverse camber bend that tightens on exit. If you get the entry wrong you are into a plaster wall. The marshalls shelter is made from bits of old fencing, glued together to form a traditional sleeper marshalls post.

Small "Esses", before the start finish straight.

The pits. Now populated with a mixture of figures from Scalextric, Revell, Airfix, Brittains and some dodgy French Blokes. Signage was stolen from Brands of the World and printed with an old Inkjet printer.

That completes the lap but here are some other shots of new bits :-

TV tower. I was not prepared to pay the silly prices being asked for genuine Scaley Towers, so I got this one from Ebay. It arrived all bright blue and yellow and a Fosters advert!...So I reduced it's height repainted it and added a camera, monitor and crew. The camera is made from a Haybale, Half an old Scaley Mini wheel and bits of Sprue. The monitor is made from spare scraps of Plasticard.

I found this old scratchbuilt Marshalls hut on Ebay, and felt sorry for it as no one made a bid for it. Looks pretty much at home in that corner.

The plasticard planter, complete with drivers relaxing with a beer and some female company!....Nice to see her Mothers present.....

Well that's it....Hope you enjoyed it.

Regards

Alan

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Beejay,
A fantastic project you have completed there, and in a relatively short time too.
Something to keep the eyes busy, at every point around the circuit.
A really great job Alan. The effort you have put in, really shows in the finished article,
so thanx for taking the time to share your progress, along the way.

I hope she brings you many hours of relaxing racing and peaceful practice, tucked away there in your own little hobby shed.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Love all the details! The use of haybails as edgings is really effective - and as a camera is stunningly inventive! Also particularly like the converted control tower into a refreshment hut. Great

·
Gary Skipp
6,657 Posts
What a gorgeous track. You've really captured the feel I'd want in my own track, it has to be one of the most enojable tracks to lookat for me, I really like the style. Very well done sir

·
Ian
99 Posts
Alan,
I can only echo all those above me have posted, it looks great, it has been really nice to follow your progress and your fantastic results.

And now you go and shock us with that Teamslot Lancia Stratos never knew that was you!, but it looks like you'll have fun with that on your track.

Fantastic work

Ian

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Excellent Alan. The picture of the McLaren at the top of the rise is very Targa Florio and the scratchbuilt marshals post looks very similar to the old toilet building out in the wilds of the parkland section of Cadwell Park!!

David

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Terrific work Alan! You have put together a wonderful track. The track plan looks like it would be a lot of fun to drive, the attention to detail is fantastic and the overall feel of the layout is great! As everyone else has noted, the structures look good. I also like the back drops that you have used. You blended the applied scenery into them very well! What a great effort and result. I can't believe how quickly you were able to finish it. What an inspiration! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Brad

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Alan,

Extremely nice work my friend! You've got a great eye for making things look natural, something I struggle with.

Any over-all shots of the track? I'm curious to see the entire layout.

·
Alan Tadd
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for your comments.

Overall views of the layout are difficult due to access problems, but I took this one through a side window :-

Ian.......As you well know Rally cars are not my favorite cars.....
. However there are two Rally cars I really like and they are the Stratos and the Renault Alpine, both from Team Slot. The sum total of my Rally collection.

As for the next project Rob, it has already started. I needed somewhere to store my cars, not in the Shed, so I "negotiated" with the Domestic Authorities and managed to lease some upstairs space, so I've started this :-

No where near finished, and not very convenient for the Shed, but better than nothing.

Regards

Alan

·
Ian
99 Posts
Ha Ha! Alan spotted another Alfa Romeo Giulia, I would class that as Rally too!

Those shelves are great. Have you made them or bought them it's just I have some book shelves for the same purpose only you never get enough shelves and adding shelves costs as much again

Ian

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.