SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With Larry having retired from his fabulous Big Donkey Resins company and Mike’s Decals apparently out of stock
of Larry’s remaining stock of 1/24 midget bodies, I began looking around for bodies that would work for creating some midget slot cars.

I came up with offerings from the Parts Box site and a Betta $ Classics GRP similarly looking Austin 7/750 open wheel racing body that might work.

I’m thinking about using a variation of KensRedZed 3/4” square tube chassis, but using pvc instead of aluminum.

My first inclination is to obtain one of these resin bodies to use as a master for a vac form. The Classic body would work rather well IMHO.
Footwear Head Shoe Sports equipment Automotive design

Toy Aircraft Plastic Electric blue Composite material

Hood Toy Motor vehicle Electric blue Plastic

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
There is also the EJs Hobbies 1/24 midget kit at $80 each.

While a road racing “special” as opposed to an oval dirt track midget, the Austin 750 lends a certain British flavor to these kinds of racing single seaters.

BTW, the 1:1 US midgets of the late 1940s-early 1950s seem to be similar in dimensions to the tiny Austin 7 racing specials of the 1930s.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Betta and Classics got back with me on the dimensions of their Austin 7/750 single seater body.

Scale wheel base - 6’ 10” (2.562”)
Body width - 1.000” at widest point
Body length - 3.740”
Approx body thickness 0.055”

Does anyone have a 1/24 Monogram and 1/32 Strommie midget to compare dimensions?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
In looking around the web, I found this thread that follows a 1964 Rod And Custom article regarding creating a 1/24 midget from the 1/20 Monogram midget. Such model kits are more reasonable in cost as compared to other midget models, but requires some extensive surgery to reduce the body to proper scale.

I think the modeling web post was done by Jairus who at one time was a member on Slot Forum as I recall.

Looking over both the Rod and Custom and Jairus’s conversions, the 1/20 scale kit body was sectioned and shortened, but the width of the original kit was maintained.

I will have to confirm this when I get a kit.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

I emailed Bruce regarding his 1/24 midget bodies.

The driver torso is part of the mold master, so I only have to supply a proper period helmeted driver.

The gallery shows a well detailed example of this body. I will likely order an EJ’s midget decal sheet and 1/24 Immense Miniatures 1950s jockey-helmeted heads for the builds.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I was able to get a sealed 1/20 Monogram midget at a decent price as a basic kit to attempt to reduce in size.

Even if I mess it up, the suspension parts spruce will be useful as a master to perhaps create a two piece mold of the entire sprue or individual parts.

Repops of the grill alone could add some detail to the Pattos vac body.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I’m gonna go with the early 1930s midget look for simplicity. I simply section /shorten the 1/20 kit body length to get down to the proper scale 1/24 wheelbase or use a modified Patto midget vac body with a Model A radiator grill.

I now need to source some skinny Monogram 1/24 Model A tires/wheels and super glue metal set screw spacers to the back of the wheels from attaching to my 1/32 RC transaxle. As I recall the early 1960s Monogram kits had real rubber tires back in the day. I will need to carefully true the plastic wire wheels/rubber tires as best I can.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
More Kurtis midget and it’s big brother the Kurtis Indy/speedway car stuff:

Notice the drawing of the Kurtis big car that looks like a midget, but with a 97” wheelbase.

Could the Monogram “1/20 scale” midget body sans the tiny kit midget wheels/tires perhaps have been modeled as a reasonable facsimile of the “big Kurtis” Bolinger Special or a similar long wheelbase Kurtis Indy car in 1/24 scale? The wheelbase is a very close match. Only by taking some calipers to all of the dimensions of an enlarged printed drawing and comparing them to the Monogram body could possibly advance that theory.

As an aside, the driver body for the midget kit seems closer to 1/24 than 1/20 IMHO and closely resembles the size of the driver figure included by Strommie in its late 1/24 1950s sports car and Grand Prix motorized kits.

So IMHO an argument could be made/rationalized to slotize the Monogram 1/20 kit as an example of a 1950s big Kurtis Indy/speedway car in 1/24 scale by maintaining or even very slightly INCREASING the wheelbase/length and adding taller tires.

Note the cockpit design difference between the original 72” Kurtis wheelbase midget midget plans and larger but similar design Offy Kurtis Indy/speedway car and the Monogram midget of ~3 3/4”.
Motor vehicle White Automotive design Font Mode of transport

Schematic Font Rectangle Parallel Engineering

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The midget saga continues.

I scored a semi-assembled Revell Kurtis Kraft midget off the Bay for a reasonable price which seems complete, parts wise. I think this is the Offy version but I have a bunch of 1/24 flattie V8s for that option, if desired.

I also stocked up on Blue Stuff thermoplastic molding material, and crystal clear liquid styrene monomer-based UV activated resin.

My plan is to create a two piece mold of the suspension and other detail bits, with one side of the mold being comprised of the Blue Stuff and the other side of the mold being comprised of a very thin layer of my transparent glycerine/gelatin molding material.

The liquid UV curable liquid styrene will be injected into the mold void using a BBQ meat marinade injector hypodermic syringe after removing the part master. It will then be set facing up in UV light curing box to cure/harden.

Next:

Order the Pattos midget bodies and decal sheets.

“Endeavor to Persevere”
Product Font Brand Advertising Screenshot

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I've never taken interest in Midget Racers until now. My thanks for an intriguing thread.
To me they represent a similar 1:1 grassroots, even hot rodding, racing endeavor similar to the Austin 7 single seater specials raced in the UK during the same time period; the difference being American midgets were raced on small ovals (even on US athletic field tracks as opposed to UK road courses).

Early US midgets used hopped up Ford 4 cylinder model T/A engines and early Ford V8s, prior to the small hi power and super reliable DOHC Offenhauser 4 cylinder engines becoming widely available.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts