SlotForum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
After just under a year from my first post about my attic build called She said YES I am very pleased to say that yesterday I finally finished the table
After my first post I was all guns blazing to get the attic sorted and a table built. Then my work slowed down and money became very tight so the attic build had to stop

So during this last year I have been collecting sections of MDF an lengths of timber and storing it waiting for a time when I could restart the build. Around a month or so ago I was finally able to buy myself the loft boarding to make the attic a safe place to be in
I had planned on putting Therma wrap into the eaves put that is just going to have to wait. For now I'm just happy to finally have the table built and a track down

So here is a few pics of the table. The table size is 3.5m x 1.4m along the back wall. With each side being 2.8m x 0.9m

I still need to fit the boarding around the edges of the track to stop the cars from flying of into the attic. Fingers crossed I'll get that done today

The test track down
I had to change it from my original plan as I had miss measured the support positions
but its still around 24m long

A short video of the track up and running

After a little bit of testing
I got the laptimes down to around 13.5 seconds with the mini. So with the boards in and the boarders on I'm guessing, I should be getting times of around sub 12 with the mag cars and around 20secs with the magless cars ( my favourite
)

Hopefully by the end of today I will have the back boards in, some elevations done mainly the back straight and the boarders on.

Oh and managed to put a few laps in

Regards from a very happy

Gaz

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I've had a bit of time over the last few days to get some more work done in the attic. While doing other things around the house (got to get those brownie points
) and spending time with the family.
I finished the back boards
and had a mess around with some elevations. For some reason I can't get the pics off the camera atm,
so I will try to get some more pics later.

As I said before the original track design (below) had to be tweaked a little to get around 1 of the uprights. The one at the crossover. But after laying the track I found it was a bit to long on the back straight

So I had to go back to the drawing board (aka UR3.0) and redesign the track.
I really liked the 2 long straights at the back of the table and the general layout of the track. So as you can see the 2 straights have stayed and the infield has been made a little more interesting.
The new track design comes in at 23.38 meters for both lanes

My vision for the elevations are.
For the start to be at table level around to the start of corner 3. Then for the track to climb up along the straight around corner 4 and the back straight, upto its highest point at the banked corners 5 and 6.
Dropping slightly through the switch back at the end of corner 6, then following back down the hill around corner 7 and along the straight. Around corner 8 and into the s-bends coming back down to the table.
Through the underpass and then a short climb after the hairpin up over the underpass and then back down to the start/finish straight.

Well thats the plan anyway

All comments and advice gratefully welcomed

regards

Gaz

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,590 Posts
For an attic track that fits in between the beams, its great...
The beams don't seem to interfere too much and you managed to get in a lot of track - nice one.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
congratulations on a great track...!

When you get around to insulating, look into "half pound" foam...it can be easier to install, and does a better job of insulating.

John

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all
Well rain stopped work this morning
so i got a couple of extra hour in the attic

The old track was dismantled and the new track took its place
I even had time to have a play around with the elevations
a few tweeks need, but all in all i like the way it looks and drives. Though i only managed to get a few laps in as the rain stop so i had to head back out to work.

Heres a quick video of how it looks now

Regards

Gaz

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all
Well I managed to get a few hours up in the attic this last weekend
So I got a little further on with the track build.

I was having a problem with power lose around halfway round the track. Even with all track pieces crimped before assembly

Inox did help a little, but I was still getting a dip in power.
So I fitted 2 power taps and all is now hunky dory with equal power around the whole track

After a few laps just to make sure the power was running well
I set too and fitted all the borders and barriers

An 1 hour or so later I was finally able to see how my new track drove without the magnets fitted

I have to say I am very pleased with the feel of the track and really enjoyed myself putting my different cars through their paces.
With a slightly dusty track I was turning times of around 14-15 seconds with a few cars dropping into the 13 second barrier

I have decided that the elevations need to change quite a bit.
So the plan now is to make the climb from the bottom left corner up to the back right banked corner a lot higher and a little steeper.
This would then mean I can raise all the other elevations and change the angle of a few of the climbs/drops

A short video of how the track looks now
http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/3DGiPTXQw9Y?rel=0

Regards
Gaz

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all long time no post.

Real life took over and apart from the odd visit to the attic to run a few laps everything has stayed the same.
Until last week when I decided that the track needed changing and doing properly.

The old track was just sat on top of whatever I had at the time to make the elevations and all its supports weren't screwed in place.
I also found it very cramped.

So after a couple of evenings on UR I came up with a new and much improved track.

As you can see I have kept the main 3 straights with the banked corners. Extending the right hand straight down the whole length of the attic, 4.3 meters

I have used laminate flooring to make the elevations as it clips together making a nice smooth surface. The highest point is 10 inches and the whole thing looks great (well I like)

The lane lengths are:
lane#1 26.60 m
lane#2 26.11 m

I have only managed a few laps so far. But the lap times are around 17 seconds atm.

I have 1 power tap in and the 2nd ready to wire in tomorrow.
Then I have the rest of the back boarding to put in and the rest of the front fence.
Oh and then I plan on doing lots and lots of laps

Here is a link to the flickr picture set Millbeck Raceway

I have no plans for scenery as yet but i'm sure my 2 girls will be helping me when we do get round to doing it. At the moment I plan on just enjoying the new layout.

Regards
Gaz
Cb

·
Registered
294 Posts
Very impressive, that right back straight must be super fast going down hill. Is the banked turn before it flat?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pleased you like it.

The main straight is great fun going down the hill.
If you time it right on the throttle you can come out of the banked corner at full throttle and stay full for about 3/4 of the straight
(yes it is banked its must be the angle of the camera)
Its also great coming up the hill. As you can full throttle the whole length with a little lift just before the corner and then full power again down to the next banked corner.

Regards
Gaz
CB

·
Registered
294 Posts
QUOTE (Hugh C Davies @ 21 Feb 2013, 12:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is the banked turn before it flat?
Sorry I ment is it flat out, but I think you've answered it

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (4.3 ZOOK @ 22 Feb 2013, 06:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The elevations made it come alive....
Zook do you mean the new elevations or the elevations on the old layout?
I have plans to elevate the 2nd corner, the one under the highest point of the track.
As I although I love the new layout I do thing the infield area is very flat and needs some height.

QUOTE (thekop @ 22 Feb 2013, 15:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is it snowing in your attic?
Is it isolation? You know that it's not healthy to breath in right?

Really nice track. Nice use of the space.
No its not snowing
or isolation its MDF dust from me sawing and sanding. An yes I was wearing a mask (I'm a Tradesman so understand how harmful dust can be)

QUOTE (Hugh C Davies @ 22 Feb 2013, 20:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry I ment is it flat out, but I think you've answered it

After spend a bit of time on the track this weekend. smoothing out all the bumps on the track, the banked corners can now be taken FLAT
with a couple of my cars.

I have now got the 2nd power tap in which has vastly improved the continuity of the track.

I also fitted a strip light and and a cluster of 3 spot lights which has made things a lot lighter

With both power taps in and the track now running smooth the lap times are starting to come down with the magless cars.

Best time so far goes to the Ford GT with 14.157 secs running clockwise on lane 1
Most cars are in and around 15 seconds a lap.

I was a little worried with the 50cm difference in the lane lengths but both lanes have very close lap times

The mag cars are crazy fast with a boxster putting in a sub 10 second lap.

My next job is to Inox the rails and get the new elevation in.

Oh and to get lots of laps in

Regards and happy slotting
Gaz
CB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts