SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hello All,

A rather obscure question, I wonder if anyone has any experience of completely stripping a Scalextric Mini Banger.

Can it be done?

This is rather embarrassing to request, but I can't seem to fathom out a way to remove the rotating guide and the motor (the two parts causing the grief) without damaging the model!

I know this sounds strange, but there is some logic for this request!

Any help would be much appreciated.

James

·
Jim Moyes
5,074 Posts
Bring it tomorrow night , Jamie.

I was once enthusiastic enough to do this sort of thing. When I saw the heading I thought you were going to ask how to get the body of the chassis which can be a bit frustrating. Not as near impossible as a TR7 though!

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
QUOTE after that john im tempted to get some old slot car parts and a sausage

Jesting though I am sure you are, it has been done!

Take a search and browse through the brands hutch site, might not be bangers but there are some CRAZY pics and pages on that site of food and drink related slot cars, even if they DO claim it is all tongue in cheek.

OH! and this is a family site, be careful how you refer to slots and long, thin skins stuffed with meat in the same sentence please!

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
It's easy

First pull off the braid holder on the guide and pull the wires out from this.

The wires from the motor go to 2 copper pieces, unhook the top one and pull the washer with wire out from the centre of the guide,
There should now be a plastic bush and another washer and wire, pull these off, and then the second of the copper pieces, now you can pull the guide out, easy!

btw
proper way to get the body from the chassis is by pushing in the rear number plate with a screwdriver, don't do it from the front, you will break something.

TR7s are easy too, simply slide a screw driver between the body and one of the rear fixings (the side repeater lights!) and gently pull apart, again do not try to pull the front off first or you WILL break one of the rear fixings.

Now Metros, there hard!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
QUOTE (Jamie @ 1 Jun 2004, 21:38)I haven't got a soldering iron.
Jamie,
Soldering Irons at Robert Dyas , they are doing cordless ones for just £5 at the moment - not the best in the world but plenty good enough for slot cars .

Chris

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
if a metro hasn't been altered is can be a real b*******d!

The clips have small ridges on them and when you try to get the chassis off you can easily crack the body, 9 out of 10 metros I get are cracked!

Then when you try to get it all back together, you can't!
Best, is to shave off the ridge with a sharp knife

·
Registered
474 Posts
QUOTE they are doing cordless ones for just £5 at the moment

So is the first task to work out how to solder the iron to a plug?

Cordless irons must take a while to heat up!

Doug

·
Registered
41 Posts
QUOTE (compound_goose @ 17 Jun 2004, 19:52)after that john im tempted to get some old slot car parts and a sausage.....

Over here in the USA, Oscar Mayer has the "WienerMobile" -- a giant hot dog (frankfurter) in a bun which appears at various promotional events...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts